eugeneviv
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 16, 2017

Re: Soundlink Revolve 3.0.4 update ruined sound quality

Author Accepted Answer selected by eugeneviv

Thanks dmcd6769 for figuring this out. It worked for me too!

I performed 3 ten-second holds of the multi-function button and, for good measure, a few ten-second holds of the power button. After this, the bass is back and sound overall seems better than before the update.

Info on both kinds of reset can be found here. https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/article/resetting-the-speaker-soundlink-revolve.html

Highlighted
dmcd6769
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 7, 2019

I think I have to agree with you eugeneviv! The sound is even better than it was before the update, seems to have a bit more of a punch.

controlpoints
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 31, 2019

Ok. I just followed the advice from dmcd6769 and eugeneviv and it yielded very interesting results.

For context, I have two Revolve Plus speakers that I always use in Stereo Mode.

When I went through multiple resets, It worked for one of my Revolve Plus speakers, but not the other. From here on in, I'll name the better sounding speaker as 'Ikora', and the other 'Osiris'.

I first tried the three 10-second holds of the Multi-Function button, then at least five 10-second holds of the Power button on Osiris. Then, I tried the same routine on Ikora.

To test it out, I tried it on both Flat and Jazz EQs for Apple Music and used the following tracks with more refined bass and none of the thumpy dance tracks:

This Life by Vampire Weekend 

Night So Long by HAIM

Loved Ones (Saudades) by Armando Young

I first used Osiris as the source (Left) of my Stereo Mode then Ikora as the secondary (Right) speaker. It made the sound muddy for both speakers, lacking bass, regardless of the EQ or song.

Next, I tried Ikora as the source (Left), then Osiris as the secondary (Right). To my surprise, the Jazz EQ made the sound muddy so when I switched to Flat, the sound overall was more rounded in terms of both bass and treble. 

Overall, I'm glad that at least there's an unofficial workaround with this whole fiasco. For now, I'm using Ikora as my source speaker, and probably later tonight, I'll try doing more resets on Osiris to hopefully carry the fix over.

Thank you @dmcd6769 for figuring this out!

yxjl
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

I did the update as well and I connected my speaker to my Mac and apparently it was using the SBC codec rather than AAC. I think the reduction in sound quality might have to do with that.

*Bosemaster*
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 14, 2019

"probably later tonight, I'll try doing more resets on Osiris to hopefully carry the fix over."

any updates on this?

It is my observation that

- there is a problem with sudden bass reduction in 3.04 firmware

- it can be fixed by doing a combination of multiple soft and hardresets (it is still unclear what exactly is causing the issue and why this is fixing it)

However, your post suggested that restoring the original sound performance doesn't seem to work with every speaker affected. What is it now?

Ondrej77
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 2, 2019

It can not be fixed by the multiple resets in all cases.. I did lot of BT clear and factory resets WITHOUT any positive response.. The sound is still very flat, like on $20 BT speakers..

Chris mentel
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 24, 2019

Any news?

Ondrej77
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 2, 2019

I have good news, maybe for others too..

After my struggles with terrible sound after via app update and no succes with reset operations i tried the web / PC updater way... and! The updater said that my firmware is 3.0.4, but my voice commands are only 1.5 - so it looks, like the update was not finished, even the mobile app said it was.. So I reflashed the firmware again, then did recommended reset of speaker via long press power button and for sure long press multifunction button too and sound is much much better, maybe the same like before first update...

So.. Wish you succesfully atempt too...

Chris mentel
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 24, 2019

I will test it.

Thanks

Ondrej77
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 2, 2019

AND!

do not forget reset BT connection list FIRST! Before update.. Because I quess the first unfinished updage was wrong becuse the speaker conected to phone BEFORE it was all done.. and that was, I think, the reason why it was not finished fully..