Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 2, 2019

Re: Soundlink Revolve 3.0.4 update ruined sound quality

So,

one last post.

Things looks worse than I expected. It looks, like the price of revolve falling down because there are some hardware changes. Maybe DSP, maybe amplifier, who knows. But!

I had for test one old revolve and one new manufactured in october 2019. Both driven by 1.5 firmware. The newer one HAS SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE sound. Annoying high frequencies with metal taste and less textured bass. The lower ends missing. It was home used piece old only two weeks.
The good old one was two years old and it had the same sound I loved on my (already sold) piece BEFORE update to 3.0.4 fw. Soo.. IMHO the update trying to delete differencies between old and new HW revision. It makes the old speker worse (and maybe the newer a bit better, but who knows.. I was not allow to try this, both speakers was not mine)
So, I wish to all owners good luck and my advice is: Avoid from this company...

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 7, 2019

As I said I got mine replaced for a brand new speaker from the retailer I originally purchased from out of warranty. My original was manufactured in 2017 my replacement in 2019, it sounds just as good as my first.

Bose really need to test these firmware updates on their speakers with different manufacture dates before unleashing them on their unsuspecting customers.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 1, 2020

Completely agree.  

Bose Revolve+ is 100% garbage.  Does not connect to anything with consistency.  Must have numerous apps to connect to phone, other Bluetooth devices, etc. and as an apparently direct result it does not function worth a nickel.  Constant sound breakup, no ability to control volume, connection drops each and every time it is used.  Unbelievable garbage and incredibly overpriced – Bose clearly cashing out on reputation. One more time, but any product other than this.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 7, 2019

I have never had connectivity issues . . . ever!!

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 1, 2020

Great for you,

The fact that you do not have issues and so may other people do - does that mean we are all liars, or less awesome than you?  I only have a degree in chemical engineering, not electrical - it sounds like you may be the guy who designed the unit. I think you should spend more time listening to your perfect and consistent connection, and appreciating your superiority over the rest of us.  I personally don't care who you are or what your motive is - this device is garbage and that does not change because you are a Bose minion.

Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 6, 2020

Hi all,

Very sorry I did not know of this issue. 

Began having connectivity issues trying to pair my beloved early Revolve speakers bought at the same time a few years ago.   Updated one thinking it was a firmware issue, noticed sound quality change immediately, and searched internet for the issue.  Found this string, performed suggested work-arounds.  Sound quality still diminished - loss of openness, presence on high end, and muddier base on low end (ex Vampire Weekend Harmony Hall,  Lyle Lovett Live in Texas Penguins).  Updated speaker is now simply "meh", not bad, just "meh" and similar to less costly JBLs I have.  I can run both Revolve speakers side by side, either through bluetooth or direct aux cable and immediately tell the difference simply switching which speaker is connected to the same exact sound source.

Is this simply sloppy engineering and then customer neglect?   That there is no warning of this issue on their product firmware update website seems telling.   Very reminiscent of the Apple OS/iphone update debacle.  Unless a solution that restores original quality (which was excellent and exceeded my expectations for what a small portable speaker could sound like) can be offered I too will avoid Bose in the future.

Mainer1

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 7, 2019

Mitch71 If you had looked at previous posts on this thread you would have seen that I have had sound issues with my speaker. Instead you thought you’d be a smart arse and verbally attack me with your child like tantrum. Very big of you!

Highlighted
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Mar 23, 2020

Brand new owner of a Revolve + 

After reading all this thread there is NO WAY I will update the firmware on my speaker. 

Just a quick question:

Does any of the users that went through this problem got the speaker firmware updated just By using the Speaker plugged to a PC via USB for playing audio (Speaker in AUX mode)?

My guess is that the only way to update the firmware is by using the bose connect app or using the update tool software on the computer to do this specific action.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 2, 2020

Can we just have the old firmware to re-flash our  revolve soundlink as the new tonal balance is what I would expect from an average quality speaker. Or are you planning on releasing a new firmware fix

(Not interested in Windows 10 Connectivity)

(I am also having problems with the occasional dropouts as well with the new firmware)

I purchased Bose because I wanted he best. I am bit disappointed that it has been broken by the latest firmware Update.