HUNTER123
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 21, 2019

Re: Sound Link Revolve 3.0.4 update ruined sound quality

I got my two revolves 2 weeks ago, not knowing anything what the new firmware does, I updated them. I can’t really tell if there’s any damage in sound quality, because they still sound really good for me. In fact, I bought the Home Speaker yesterday, comparing the HS 500 vs. 2 revolves, revolves sounded better with stereo capability. Although HS 500 has better bass, and louder, 2 revolves sound much crisp, and clearer. I’m hoping for a new update, maybe my revolves have more room for improvements.

IamAnIsheep23
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 23, 2019

Good Lord i was almost halfway through my firmware update when i read this thread. I uninstalled the bose connect app right away! 

HUNTER123
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 21, 2019

I don’t have an idea what they sounded before update, because I updated them before even listening to them when I got them. For me, they sound great even with new update. I also got Home Speaker 500 few days ago, that also updated automatically. HS 500 is louder, bigger bass, but I would choose two revolves over one HS 500. Hopefully we get new update for revolve, and fix what everyone is experiencing.

dark3.0.4
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 7, 2019

Re: Soundlink Revolve 3.0.4 update ruined sound quality

I bought the soundlink revolve plus and was ecstatic with the sound quality until I installed the app and unknowingly was forced to update the device. Now I'm having similar issues as the rest of the community. Is there any news on a new firmware update?

dmcd6769
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 7, 2019

Bose have been somewhat quiet lately so I guess no news on a new firmware update!

In the meantime you could try a Master Reset, it worked for me after the 3rd attempt.

Thelycandraven
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 11, 2019

Ok...so I just got the Revolve today and I was immediately astonished by the sound quality and how deep and massive and rich the bass is. 

I had firmware 1.1.6 (2017) installed straight from the box and I therefore have a well known issue with 500ms audio latency when connected via AUX. This was a big downside for me since I wanna use it for playing guitar. I have read that in the past this issue was solved with firmware 1.1.8. So, I was happy and started with upgrading of my firmware .......until I read this!:( 😞 I immediately deleted the Bose app in order to cancel the download.

Now I'm stuck with having to choose between fixing the latency issue and potentially risking the sound quality or having the latency but keeping the sound quality intact.

There is still no 100% fix for the crappy sound after upgrade, correct?

I don't know what to do really... 

Thelycandraven
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 11, 2019

Follow up: I nevertheless decided to update my new soundlink revolve from 1.1.6 to 3.0.4 and hoped for the best. I was obviously one of the lucky ones, since my firmware upgrade did not screw up the sound.

It's hard to tell if there is any sound difference 1.1.6->3.0.4 but it definitely did not get worse...perhaps even a bit better. No difference in bass performance, I extensively tested the bass response on my reference song (Chris Jones - Long after you are gone) with speaker in the same location as always.

The bass remains punchy and rich like before, the high and middle tone sound perhaps a bit more pronounced.

additionally I got rid of the AUX latency issue present up till 1.1.8 and now I'm able to use it for making music with my midi devices and also for playing guitar and it is fantastic.

Like Bose replied, not all speakers are corrupted, could be only a certain batch and I really hope this issue is resolved for all of you experiencing issues. For the rest (new buyers) I would suggest you take the risk and perform the upgrade. If it does screw up your sound, try several resets as mentioned in this thread and I hope you are able to fix it!

Ondrej77
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 2, 2019

So, folks.  All is wrong..

I had to test if I hallucinate when I still hear too much diference between old and new fw. Yes, bass is back after reflash 3.0.4 and make reset and blablabla.. But the sound seemed cheap to me.. Flat. Without dynamic, especialy low volume lacks deeper frequencies..

I took today my 3.0.4 updated revolve to authorised reselers audio studio and we did small test.. Face to face, old FW one next to my updated.. Do you want quess the results? No surprise.. The sound is clearly different, in case of updated device more flat, especially at low volume, without energy and it's loved punchy character. Yes, for the first moment it sounds similar, but after a while (and switching those two speakers) there is no doubt. We are **bleep**ed up.

BTW i need to use another device for leave comment, my browsers or and IP is probably banned and I was not able to login at my pc nor phone.. So I lended friends one and it works.. 

dmcd6769
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 7, 2019

Yeah thought as much!!

Bose really need to come up with a fix and fast as I and others will be taking further action if needs be!!!!

dmcd6769
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 7, 2019

I thought that I had fixed my sound issues when I did the three master resets, it definitely sounded  better than it did after the 3.0.4 update however next to a brand new Revolve Plus I can really hear the difference in both sound and volume. I will take it back to the store I purchased it from in the hope that they will replace it, out of warranty 😞