Registered since

Jan 9, 2021

Soundlink Revolve Plus choppy when in party mode

Soundlink Revolve Plus

Canada

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on

Soundlink Revolve plus connected to another Soundlink Revolve plus in party mode via iPhone XS (on iOS 14.2)

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

I've connected 1 revolve plus to my iPhone XS, then connected the other revolve plus via pressing Bluetooth and + icon on the first revolve plus and Bluetooth and - icon on the other one. I've got the prompt where they are connected to party mode. Then I press the Bluetooth and - icon on one of the speaker to enter stereo mode.

Where do you run into the issue?

When entered in either party mode or stereo mode, I am able to produce sound, but every 1-2 mins of playback, it goes choppy for a couple seconds, then it'll resume playing normally, and then the choppiness repeats.

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

The speaker plays perfectly fine when not in party mode/stereo mode. When in party mode/stereo mode, the choppiness only applies to one speaker. The other one has 0 problem.

Any troubleshooting steps you took

I've tried:

1. Removing all other connected devices

2. Reset the device by holding the power button

3. Clear bluetooth list by holding the bluetooth button

4. Connect via app

5. Connect via speaker and change the order of connecting the speakers (choppy speaker first, and then did another attempt with the problem free first).

I'm out of ideas... I LOVE the speakers, but I can't stand that choppiness!!! My last product was the Sounddock Portable. Still loving that one, except it has no bluetooth capability, hence this upgrade! Bose product has never failed me, I'm hoping you can help me out!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Soundlink Revolve Plus choppy when in party mode

Hello Quantomizer, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forums 

The troubleshooting you have tried so far is awesome and I would love to assist you and see if we can get this fixed. Have you tried using a different Bluetooth device (phone/tablet/etc) to compare results. If not, this would be a great thing to try. Also I need to ask about the physical environment such as how far away are the speakers from each other, what are they near to, whats in the room they are in, does this happen if you move the speakers to another room? 

I look forward to your reply. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Vicky_WI have two Revolve's in stereo mode regularly and have not had that issue.  I used to have an iP7+ and now it's a iP12Pro.  I can listen to a full Beethoven Symphony (about 45 min) with no issue.

So let me suggest one additional area of investigation - where is your music?  My music is on the phone itself and I play through the "Ecoute" app.  Are you streaming audio from the internet.  If so, are you on wifi (at what speed) or 4G/LTE/5G.  Try all your available Internet options and see if that makes a difference.  Then try playing at least 10 min of continuous music directly off your phone.

If you get skippy, immediately run "Speedtest" - use the app and NOT the web interface.  Let the Bose people know your numbers.

It is apparant to me, that if you are regularly having issues and I am not, then we need to understand how we differ to solve the issue.   Let us not yet assume the issue is BT if your music is external - it could be a streaming issue.

Participant
Registered since

Jan 9, 2021

Hi,

Thanks for your reply! I thought there may be a distortion in distance, so I've tried placing it around 6 ft apart (any less would defeat the purpose of stereo sound). I've setup the speakers in 3 environments:

1. Connected to apple TV and apple TV only in my room (there are other electronics (ipad, apple watch, dyson fan, philips hue light...etc in my room. The choppiness happens less frequent when in stereo mode. The choppiness only occurs from 1 speaker.

2. Connected to a laptop and laptop only in my living room. There's only the laptop, a monitor, 2 speakers, and my phone. Phone is disconnected ( i understand if 2 devices are connected simultaneously, the sound gets very distorted). The choppiness happens intermittently, while playing a video in stereo mode/party mode.

3. Connected to my phone in the kitchen. There's nothing else besides my phone in this environment. The choppiness happens almost every 30 seconds, while playing music in stereo mode/party mode.

I can create a video to show the choppiness, but I'm not sure if I am able to upload a video here.

Again, it works perfectly fine when not paired. And when in stereo mode and not choppy, it's the best experience. But when the choppiness happens while watching a video, it completely destroys the experience =(.

Participant
Registered since

Jan 9, 2021

@ joelirwin

Thanks for your insight as well. I've tried connected to various devices and troubleshoot as much as I can. I do not believe the source of the audio is a problem, as the choppiness doesn't happened when not paired. Internet speed can be ruled out as well as I am using gigabit internet with gigabit router (Eero Pro).

I'm not entirely sure if it's BT problem, because I did not experience any choppiness when paired with my device. Only when in stereo mode, this happens.

Unfortunately if my Bose speaker is in stereo mode with another speaker while connected to another device other than my phone, I am unable to use the phone app to play with settings.