Mar 4, 2018

Re: Soundlink Revolve + Randomly Turning On

Any news or update about this matter?
PWhiteside
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 4, 2018

Also experiencing this very issue. Have done a reset by holding power, re-setup etc. Hopefully that works. 

Shame they removed the 1 min turn off timer too in the same update.

xeven
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 6, 2018

Curious about a solution as well.. I updated to 1.3.3 yesterday and now this automatic power-on "feature" is really annoying and I cannot seem to disable it anywhere 😞

HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Since the update to the v1.3.3 is a few weeks old and no official statement or software update is available, we must deal with this.

At first: for all new users seeing this thread! Do NOT update to v1.3.3 through btu.bose.com or BOSE Connect App, except you like the “feature”, that the Revolve and Revolve+ gets powered on, when it finds a known Bluetooth device.

My experience during the last days and weeks hardened my first thoughts, which I posted here three weeks ago.

• When the Revolve is on and you press the ON/OFF button, the Revolve and Revolve+ goes into some sleep mode, which is not so deep as prior to version v1.3.3. With v1.2.4 we can say, that the Revolve was “OFF”. Now, the Revolve is turning off the external parts, but keeps the Bluetooth module working. The Revolve is no longer visible but keeps looking for known (paired) devices. When it detects a device the Bluetooth module activates the rest of the system, connects actively with the sound device (smartphone, tablet, PC …). So you cannot turn the Revolve in a true “OFF” mode. Ever.
  • The only chance you have is to switch to “AUX” mode and then wait until the Revolve turns itself off after the preconfigured idle-time. Make sure (with the Bose Connect App), that this is a very short time.
  • In AUX mode the Bluetooth module stays in idle mode as mentioned before. So, when you power on a Bluetooth device or turn Bluetooth on your device (smartphone) on, then the Revolve gets active again. As it is still in AUX it goes idle again. If you want to use Bluetooth then you have to press the Bluetooth button.

This behavior comes through the newly introduced feature in v1.3.3 ("The user can now power on the puppet (companion) speaker through the Bose Connect App"). It is not the user. It is the Revolve which powers on and then reconnects to the device.

There are three solutions for this:

• Wait until BOSE fixes this problem and rewrites how the Bluetooth module “sleeps”. Best would be when “OFF” is “OFF”. No semi-sleep or slight-sleep or whatever!
  • Use the workaround with AUX as source. But be aware that other devices are still magically turning on the Revolve when they come into reach!
  • Use the official guide to “enable standby (low power) mode” (BOSE Support: Enabling standby (low power) mode) by deleting the list of Bluetooth devices in your Revolve! No kidding! In other words: Delete all paired devices from the Revolve so the Revolve does not look for your devices any more. You must pair all your devices again, if you want to use the Revolve via Bluetooth again. For me: no option at all as I have too many devices paired with the Revolve. Maybe we should delete the Bluetooth device list and plug an audio jack cable into the Smartphone and the AUX jack of the Revolve.

I believe I’m speaking for all of you, that this new “feature” is totally frustrating. We want our “OFF” state back! Now!

Cheers,

HermannS

Hi folks,

Thank you for reaching out.  In the most recent update, we enabled a feature that allows any previously connected speaker to be powered on remotely via the Connect app.  This feature is primarily intended for ease of use when creating a stereo or party mode pairing, but will also work when you drag to connect any compatible speaker within the app.

Additionally, I've passed along your feedback in regards to wanting to be able to disable this feature, I'll let you know when I have new information to share.

I hope you're all doing well,

Shiloh 

HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Hi Shiloh_C,

we understand the new feature. New features are always nice, but the implementation is in this case very faulty. It seems that it has not been tested at the development site at all.

Instead of having the ability to remotely turning on the Revolve through the App it starts by itself when it finds any previuosly paired device. This is without user interaction. And to be clear: I don't use the App (due to non-availablity on Windows).

I believe I speak for all of use, that we want the old behaviour back (OFF is OFF) and do not like that the Revolve awakes and shouting out ("Battery eighty percent. Connected to Surface. Connected to Surface and FireTV Stick") whenever a known device gets active.

At least make the feature either optional (default should be "disabled"; let the master user with the App decide) or improve it to make it more resilient. The behaviour we now have since four weeks is more than annoying. It is truely a horror, when you power on your notebook at night and in the room next to you the Revolve turns on, speaks and draws the standard audio connection from the Notebook to the Revolve - if someone tries to sleep in this room!

As there is no "hard power switch" we all have to turn Bluetooth off on all smartphones and PCs to not let the Revolve awake. I guess that this is not the intended behaviour!

The only chance we now have is with the AUX. This causes only reading out loud the battery percentage and then falls asleep after a few minutes.

So please release a new fixed firmware or give us the v1.2.4 as v1.3.4 back!

HermannS

Vikovaerk
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 20, 2018

Any updates to the matter?

HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

No firmware update ... no new leads ...

I've turned off the voice prompts "+" and "-" when powered-on. This keeps the SoundLink silent (with only a few bleeps).

Arrghhhhhh!!!!!!

HermannS

Highlighted
PWhiteside
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 4, 2018

EVERYONE

This issue is resolvable, there is no need for Bose to release an update.

You need to completely clear the speaker, press and hold the power button, keep holing it for a good minute.

Once done you will notice it's not connected to anything, the name is reset in bluetooth devices, etc.

Delete it from your devices BT history, reconnect, and add go back into the app to set it all back up

HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

To PWhiteside: Yes, you are correct. If the Bluetooth list in the SoundLink is cleared it does not recognize any known devices and therefore the SoundLink will not power on. But when you have paired your devices again, the horror comes back. So what's the point of your "solution"?

We need a fixed firmware and not multiple reset procedures just to keep the SoundLink quiet!

HermannS