PWhiteside
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 4, 2018

Re: Soundlink Revolve + Randomly Turning On

Not talking about clearing the BT list, but clearing the whole memory on the speaker, doing a reset of that, and then updating. That resolves the issue. You can then have the speaker with devices known and it doesn't randomly power up.

HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Hi PWhiteside - sorry, that's also a negative (I've meant an additional reset earlier). Resetting the SoundLink Revolve by clearing the Bluetooth list and also resetting the whole device to factory settings did not resolve the problem at all. I've tested it with one Revolve and another Revolve+. After updating to firmware 1.3.3 and a lot of testing, it was also my idea, that a reset and pairing all the devices might solve this. But it only did cost my time, messing around with piece of firmware.

I'm glad, that it worked for you, though!

HermannS

aagresti76
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 13, 2018

Dear Shiloh,

going to send product back due to this "improvement" and to buy speaker from one of your competitor that has a more traditional function like On is ON, Off is OFF .

Sorry but better to change wording from "new feature" to "bug" and to react accordingly in BOSE firmware R&D.  I suppose it is fast to do as soon as Bose recognize this feature with no disabling option is a bug.  Please do it before I have to start the annoying procedure to send back this product due to this bug introduction.

Alessio

HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Dear Alessio, I cannot agree more! The implementation of this new "feature" is so buggy (in my eyes) I truly cannot understand how this could pass the quality tests. Errors happen, this is part of our nature, but I do not understand why this version is not revoked after the compaints and why there is still no fix available.

My idea for BOSE it that they release the old version 1.2.4 as a new version 1.3.4 (without the "auto-on feature"), due to the fact, that no "downgrade" is possible. Months later ... still no update.

As the Revolve and Revolve+ have some truly good sides and I am still hoping, that BOSE will release a fix soon, I will keep my two revolvers in my holster. Gladly I have only updated one Revolve to 1.3.3! I enjoy the "off" button of the other one. Good ol' times!

Let's hope that BOSE will hear us!

HermannS

xeven
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 6, 2018

I've resorted to not using my SoundLink. The fact that I have to keep resorting to these "workarounds" has become too much of an annoyance for me to tolerate any longer. Pushing the ON/OFF button should do just that: turn the device ON or OFF.

All the "workarounds" offered don't actually solve the problem since the SoundLink will still find a way to turn itself on sometimes, making a beep noise (since I disabled voice prompts) and re-routing sound when I don't want that to happen. At 2 AM this is not appropriate when I'm trying to watch something privately with my bluetooth phones and all the sudden what I am listening to is broadcasted to the SoundLink to wake everyone up.... ugh...

HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Totally agree, xeven!

As a funny reminder, the "feature" introduced in 1.3.3 is described "The user can now power on the puppet (companion) speaker through the Bose Connect App". Well, I think that was exactly the (nice) idea the product manager had in mind, when he was talking to the engineers.

The actual behaviour is: "The speakers now powers on whenever the user has Bluetooth turned on with paired devices. This works without a puppet (companion) speaker and without the extra use of the Bose Connect App". In short: The Revolve goes Rogue! Well done!

Have a nice weekend!

HermannS

Lolato
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 15, 2018

By the way, it seems the issue is bigger than just Revolve.... I have a Bose home theater (Soundtouch Bar 300) and after the recent update, it also has the same strange behavior. Everytime I turn on my laptop, the Soundtouch bar switches ON automatically and I can't switch it off.... VERY ANNOYING!!!!!!!

HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Hello Everyone!

As there is no official statement of BOSE when this new (rogue) feature is being corrected to behave like described, I can only advise all of you to downgrade the firmware from the faulty v1.3.3 to the nicely working v1.2.2 for the following devices:

- SoundLink Color II

- SoundLink Revolve

- SoundLink Revolve+

The procedure is pretty simple:

1. Start the BOSE Update Software webservice (http://btu.bose.com), plug in your SoundLink device
  2. You see “Your product is up to date. Your software is up to date.”
  3. Now press the following keys on your keyboard to get to the hidden menu (“Advanced mode”): A – D – V – Arrow-Up – Arrow-Down
  4. Select from the dropdown menu beneath the line "Update software version to:" version “1.2.2” for the Revolve/Revolve+ or "2.1.7" for the Color II
  5. Click on the green button titled "Apply changes »" and wait until the firmware is being transferred and installed
  6. Enjoy the old-fashioned “OFF” button. No need to reset the device!

Sorry BOSE moderators, but I must admit, that I am extremely disappointed, that no one told us this option of the Updater! You left us in the believe, that we are now stuck on the v1.3.3 and must be patient, to get an improved firmware. Or that we are crazy in thinking, that this feature is annoying! Sad!

What I’ve learned here was a very important lesson in customer relations and support!

HermannS

xeven
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 6, 2018

Perfect, HermannS! I'm thankful that you had the patience to not only find that feature but write about it. I just ran though the downgrade procedure and now my power button will actually turn off my device! Thanks!

Highlighted
Transformatiecoach
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 17, 2018

Big thank you HermannS,

At first your instructions didn't work using Firefox browser.

But then I used internet explorer to open the Update Software web-service and it worked like a charm.

Not even customer-care in my country (Belgium) was able to give me these guidelines.

I feel relieved now the power button is doing again what it is meant to do.

Again thank you!