Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 25, 2018

Re: Soundlink Revolve + Randomly Turning On

DS03,

I know very well how bluetooth works. Yes I can use auto-off on the speaker and use bluetooth to control the speaker ON/OFF. But dont you think you are missing the whole point here? Why do you have a power button there in the first place? if you have to use a totally blunt approach (bluetooth on/off on your laptop/mobile) to just turn off your bose device then what is the point? Its similar to eating a half baked cake.

Another use case, what if I have multiple bluetooth devices connected at the same time? Switching off the bluetooth will help powering off bose speaker but it will also kill remaing bluetooth connections which is the last thing anyone would appreciate. Similarly there are other brilliant use cases others have already mentioned in the post.

This could be called a feature only if it was well tested else its a bug. I dont think it was even tested for the use cases we are trying to bring here. I am not trying to pull down anyones pant instead giving a constructive feedback so that bose devices become better.

In future firmwares Bose could instead give solution like 1) Turn on/off auto-connect feature 2)whitelist the devices from bose connect app which can wake up bose speaker 3) auto-connect only when initiated from the bluetooth panel and not always as happening today.

May be you love this firmware bug but we dont. "OFF should be OFF", end of the story.

However, i liked your brilliant approach  - "Kill the problem rather than solving it" LOL! 😉

Thanks!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 6, 2018

You obviously don't know how it works lol. You don't need to turn it off (Bluetooth), simply disconnect/reconnect the speaker in the list of paired devices. It won't reconnect on its own again until you ask for it to be and your other devices aren't impacted in the slightest. If you used with an Echo device you'd realize having to push the power button on the speaker defeats the purpose of voice control... so definitely uses for this update and easy ways around it until they release another update.
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 25, 2018

Bose guys have implemented it so beautifully that disconnecting the device from the bluetooth paired list momentarliy power off the micro. It turns back on automatically after 15 secs. I would be glad to do a video if time permits so that you could see what I am talking about.

Question back to you - Have you really tried it and does it work for you? Disconnecting does not work (atleast for me). If it just works with disconnecting then I will be happiest. Others have mentioned the same in this post. Could you please share the exact steps or anything extra you are doing which is keeping your device powered off after you disconnect from the paired list?

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 3, 2018

The voice coming from the speaker is an INTRUSION. The on/off button suffices. I don't want to connect my device or disconnect it, I just want to turn off the speaker, and that's it. By intrusion I mean this: there are at least 4 devices that have used the speaker, some of them belonging to other members of the family. There is no need to give everyone instructions about turning on or off their devices (multiple intrusions) when simply turning off the speaker was sufficient. Why make the person who invested in the speaker do the work, instruct others, literally be woken up by the speaker when a family member's iPhone walks by? On/off. End of story. I don't need to know how to make sausages, I just want to eat them.  

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 25, 2018

Could not agree more with you @Queneau

Another use case for Bose engineers!!

Bose - Have you guys used the speakers after the latest firmware update? hahaha

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 6, 2018

Yes, disconnecting thru the paired list works for me. I am using a Pixel android phone and it does not re-connect until I tell it to do so. Same with my Echo... only connects and wakes the speaker when I command it to. I have not used with a laptop or other device however, so maybe that is different and causing the speaker to wake often? I also have an older Sony soundbar (2016) with bluetooth which will also wake automatically when a paired device is pointed to it, so this isn't something new Bose recently came up with.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 25, 2018

hmmmm.. that is interesting. I am using it with my laptop and mobile (android) auto connect kicks in the moment I switch on the bluetooth on either of the devices. But the same is not happening with my ipad when paired with micro, using auto-off and disconnect works there.

In any case this makes it more troublesome because I dont know which device will wakeup my micro.

Also another annoying usecase: My bose micro is paired with my laptop with auto-off set to 5mins. If I am not typing or no sound is broadcasted from my laptop then the speaker switch off 5th minute and then come back on after 10-15secs...this has been in loop and I am being haunted with the sound "Connected to xyz device". The only way out here for me is to switch off the bluetooth else the speaker gets possesed 😞

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 3, 2018

"Gets possessed" LOL! But that's an apt description. I really don't like hearing those weird computer voices, especially when I least expect (or want) to hear them!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 20, 2018

Unfortunately, this no longer seems to work -- the earlist version now shown is 1.3.3, which already includes the unbrearable update...

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 3, 2018

That's bad news, not allowing the client to have any options sounds like corporate bullying instead of permitting those whose $$$ keeps the corporation afloat choose as s/he wishes. Bose, you listening?

Guess not...