Hue
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 17, 2018

Re: Soundlink Revolve + Randomly Turning On

To everyone experiencing this very frustrating issue, I feel your pain. 

Although I do not believe that I have found a permanent solution to the issue, I have identified the conditions that causes my own Bose speaker (Soundlink Micro) to constantly turn itself on.  Initially, I thought I was going crazy because I knew that I had turned it off and yet it was back on when I came home.  Then I thought it was a feature in the new update so I tried messing with the autotimer in the connect app.  Then I progressed on to thinking that it was a hardware malfunction after I got it wet a number of times (which it's built to do) and I was so disappointed.  After days of wondering wth was wrong with it, I thought about calling in but I knew that support would probably read from a script and frustrate me even more (no offense). 

So...here's what I eventually found to be the culprit.... My Windows 10 computer bluetooth.  Whenever it is paired with my speaker and the Windows 10 bluetooth radio is turned on is the only time this happens.  I also have a Macbook Air, an iPad and an iPhone which are issued by my job.  They work perfectly fine with the speaker and do not cause this issue. 

Basically, any other device that I use with this speaker that is NOT my HP laptop with Windows 10 does not cause the issue to occur.  As soon as I turn my bluetooth radio back on my Windows based laptop, the speaker will constantly turn itself on. 

I have scrubbed the internet for any possible software update for Windows to address the issue but I have found none.  I have updated the drivers to my bluetooth from the HP site, updated the BIOS, updated the chipset firmware...nothing works.  What I have resorted to is simply to go to the system tray and toggle my laptop's bluetooth off whenever I am not using it.  Some laptops have an F key up top of the keyboard to do the same thing; but mine doesn't. 

I actually use this speaker with my laptop frequently because it amplifies the tinny, lightweight sound of the built in speakers; but I also use it with all my other devices too.  However, I have now grown so accustomed to toggling the bluetooth on and off that it's no longer annoying to do so. 

I figured I would share because I know how annoying this issue is...so I decided to sign up and post.  I hope this helps and that everyone has a positive and productive day! 

Thanks, Hue.

nzsai
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 22, 2018

Hi HarmanS,

Thanks for the step by step instructions for enabling advanced mode in update service. I have Revolve+ with this issue but now unfortunately there is only one lower-buggy version, i.e. 1.3.3! This exists in 1.5.0 as well.

So, what are my options?

a) return the product and ask for refund?

b) (**MODERATOR EDIT AGAINST COMMUNITY GUIDELINES**)

c) ???

I mean, between 1.3.3 and 1.5.0 they could not fix it. What are the developers doing at Bose? Do they read this at all? Do they step in our shoes and feel the pain?

Regards

Hi nzsai,

Thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied. I would definitely contact your local Bose support. Here is a link you can use. Click on your country, scroll down to "Contact Us".

Regards,

Tony - Community Support

nzsai
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 22, 2018

Hi,
Contacting local Bose support? For what? To get the firmware reverted to a version which does not have this so called feature? I would be happy to get that done. Is it possible? I need definite answer.
cstreater
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 30, 2018

I have the Bose SoundLink Micro, and it has the same issue.

It's so absurd this hasn't been fixed yet! I loved this speaker so much when it came out, that I was telling all my friends to buy one. Now I wouldn't recommend this to my enemies!

Hi,

Thanks for responding. We are aware of the feedback that everyone is posting regarding the ability to turn off this feature. We can assure everyone that our engineers monitor these threads and take all suggestions seriously. But if anyone feels that their Bose product is not functioning correctly I would encourage you to contact your local Bose support using the link previously provided.

Regards,

Tony - Community Support

Rihilism
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 29, 2017

This is the second time an update has caused major problems on my Bose Soundlink (just so you Bose folks know I'm keeping track).  After upgrading to 1.5.0 firmware I started experiencing the "bose turns itself on" phenomena.  Unfortunately, I'm to late to downgrade to 1.2 and only 1.3.3 is available, so no luck that route.  Then I saw someone post that the issue is with Windows 10.  I have an iphone and windows 10 on my computer and both connected to my speaker. At first I thought the problem was with both but I've turned the bluetooth off on my computer and left the bluetooth on on my iphone.  I then turned the speaker "off" and, tada!, no ghost hand turning on the Bose speaker.  Seems like it is an exclusively Windows 10 problem as far as I can tell since the iphone is not "turning the speaker on".

Just to check, I just turned my computer's bluetooth on and. walla!, the Bose speaker turns on.  I just turned the computer's bluetooth off, turned the speaker "off"and no mysterious "turning on" occurs (meanwhile my iphone's bluetooth has been on the whole time).  Well at least I have only one other device attached via bluetooth to this computer.  I don't use the speaker very frequently with the computer, so I'm just going to disconnect it for now and only connect when I want to (seems like a crappy thing to ask your customer to do with your product, eh, Bose?)  Sounds like the folks at Bose need to talk to the folks at Microsoft to resolve this problem.  Please!  Do it soon! Toot Sweet!  This must be a major pain to anyone who has more than one device attached via bluetooth to their computer which is probably just about everybody.

Highlighted
nzsai
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 22, 2018

Hi Tony,
I see that you support guys are trying to help customers but you guys are not being supported by your dev and management.
How long it takes to fix a serious issue like this? I see few people have zeroed the problem to Windows 10 but the fix required is in Bose speaker firmware not Windows. Why? Because I can avoid the hassle of needing to recharge speaker once in a while even though it is not used. The speaker is waiting all the time for paired Bluetooth device to connect. This thing has to be fixed. Can we get ETA of this fix please? Can I assume that this is not a deliberate act to drain the battery so that Bose can sell more battery by spoiling it? Remember what happened to Apple recently with this kind of "feature"?
mistral
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 4, 2018

Hi Tony   @Tony_G

Could we at least get the 1.2.2. back to choose from? So that we can also bring new devices to this firmware version.

That would be nice at least for new customers, because I don't really want to return the device.

Thank you

Blissful6393
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 5, 2018

Registered to add into this conversation. I own a Soundlink 2 as well as a Soundlink Micro and both have this problem. If a new feature gets rolled out then add a corresponding option to edit that settings activity. I would want to turn off this "feature" but it seems Bose is seriously behind on fixing it. The audio quality is great but this "feature" is terrible. Please address this 😞