Soundlink Revolve + Randomly Turning On

Wistful Whiz

Re: The SHAME of the SoundLink Micro Bluetooth speaker that YOU CAN NEVER TURN OFF !!!

@miliSee my other post on this topic.  What I discovered tonight is that auto shutoff will not work if the Revolve is connected to a windows computer and made the default speaker.  You have to switch the default speaker to something else for it to shutoff.

Quiet Contributor

Re: Soundlink Revolve + Randomly Turning On

I just buy bose soundlink revolve plus Jan 2019 and it is doing that turn on thing, what do i do i have not used the app or used the other updater on computer, can i still downgrade if i go on the updater website to have a look which version i have will it automatically update and can i still go down to 1.2.2 , I also wanted to know is this device always emitting a bluetooth signal even when it is turned off because i dont like the idea of that because in my home i dont always want bluetooth signals in my house, please help thanks.

Wistful Whiz

1. Bose provides no way to go backwards in firmware

2. See my other response just made - no way to turn off the Revolve.  The Off is a 'toggle' into bluetooth low energy (ble) state.  So in that state, it can be turned on by the bose connect app, put into party or stereo mode, and SOME bluetooth Windows implementations will turn it on when they are turned on (not all of them).  So OFF is not OFF - its merely a toggle between full BT functionality and reduced functionality in BLE state.  Unless Bose says otherwise (I am not Bose), I believe they current see that behavior as 'by design' and not a bug.  Other Bose devices such as the QC35ii and Soundsport Wired, for example do not emit BLE in OFF state.

Quiet Contributor

I recently purchased this speaker and sync it with a pixel 2. It turns on at all hours of the night. I turn it off, turn off the Bluetooth on my phone and an hour later it is talking throughout my house waking up my kids. This post is over a year old and I do not see a fix listed. If this is not changeable, I'm very disappointed that I spent $300 for a speaker that I can't actually turn off. My wife is ready to make me throw it in the trash.
Wistful Whiz

That is very interesting.  If you turned off the Bluetooth on your phone (though you didn't un-pair it), then your phone could have not turned it back on.  So which Bluetooth device do you think turned it on.  From what you describe it could not have been your phone.... unless you phone also emits a BLE signal when it is off.

Quiet Contributor

The only device ever paired with the speaker is my phone. I'm not sure if it emits ble, but I am positive I shut off the Bluetooth and the speaker randomly turns on and says pairing with pixel 2 xl. At that point, I can see that my Bluetooth is active again. No other media devices that I pair my phone with have triggered my Bluetooth to turn on by itself.
Wistful Whiz

If you are willing to experiment a bit further....  I would be 'curious':

To continue checking you need to put a bluetooth searching application on a another device and place it next to your Revolve.  It could be an app on another phone or an application on a windows or mac based machine.  Sometimes, my free Bluetooth app on my iPhone does not find all the devices so for this 'experiment', I installed "BluetoothView" (freeware which runs only on Windows 7 but not on all win 7 machines).  Any software that will find all the nearby bluetooth devices would work.  The idea being, you want to know which Bluetooth devices the Revolve can detect and communicate with even if the Revolve is OFF.

So with BluetoothView installed on my laptop within 3 feet of both of my Revolves, it was able to see both Revolves (which were both OFF of course), my nearby Dell desktop which has a Bluetooth dongle, my Soundsport  - the only device my laptop was currently paired with (it says LE-Soundsport since the Soundsport was OFF but still puting out a BLE signal) which was on the other end of the house perhaps 30 to 50 feet away....

and my iPhone 7+.

Then I turned/powered off my iPhone 7+ and BluetoothView could not see it.  So I turned on my iPhone 7+ but then turned off bluetooth and once again BluetoothView could not see it.

So my Soundsport got me thinking since my iPhone BLE scanners did not detect a BLE signal and yet BluetoothView was able to find it on the other end of my house and it was turned off.

So I then did the following: I paired my iPhone 7+ with the laptop BluetoothView was running from and then turned off Bluetooth.  And guess what?  BluetoothView was able to see my iPhone even with Bluetooth turned off on the iPhone.

So in the first case, I turned Bluetooth off on my iPhone and BluetoothView could not see it and in the second case, I turned off Bluetooth on my iPhone and Bluetooth was able to see it.  The difference - in the first case it was not paired and in the second case it was paired.  I could only guess that the establishment of the pairing set up a communication conduit that continued to work even with the iPhone BT setting turned off.  Again a guess - on an iPhone turning off BT turns off the regular BT but not the BLE communication.

So what is it with your phone?  When your phone is paired, it still may be communicating with the Revolve even with BT turned off as was my iphone.  Try unpairing (and clearing all devices on your revolve+ by holding down the BT button for 10+ seconds) and see if your Revolve still turns on.  If it does not, you know why.  If it does, then I am at a loss since at that point the Revolve+ should be paired or communicating with anything.  So if that were the case, we would have to look for other unpaired BT devices that were within range but let's cross that bridge.....

Meanwhile:
(1) You may not be very happy with the idea that you might have to unpair your phone when not using the revolve and pair when you want to use it.  I would not be happy about that.

(2) Be aware that like desktop and laptops, not all phones cause this behavior.  My Revolve's do not turn on when paired with my iPhone 7+.

So I wonder with all that said, what Bose will do about this.  Can they change the Revolve+ firmware to not power on except when communicating with the Bose Connect app?  The programming techniques in Bluetooth may be able to facilitate that.  I do not personally know the BT protocols myself to be able to say one way or the other.  Also as I am not a programmer at Bose, I can not tell you why your paired phone causes it to turn on but mine does not.  It obviously has something to do with the different implementations of iOs on the iPhone and Android on your phone.  If all Android phones turn the Revolve on (do they????), then Bose would pay more 'attention' to the situation than if one one particular phone model.

You bring up a troublesome scenario but as I do not work for Bose, I only suggest perhaps when it might happen and whether there is a 'workaround'.  What Bose judges as the severity and impact and what they plan to do about it is obviously outside my sphere.

Friendly Fanatic

So many people having problems with an unwanted feature that we can't turn off…

Wistful Whiz

I am not advocating for Bose nor do I work for Bose.  I am in this forum trying to help others with technical suggestions or perhaps insight from the 25 or so years I spent working with technology vendors as an employee of a very large oil company.  That was my job full time.  I got to see and work with companies of all sizes.

The question I would ask here is more of what we think of as 'so many' people.  Yes we see lots of 'complaints' here - that is what the forum is about for some.  But does that mean the same thing to the Bose managers who allocate resources to development and support.  Development resources help Bose's bottom line while support resources are part of a cost center and impact the bottom line.  So:

1. If Bose feels that 'so many' people really means perhaps a few hundred customers versus the millions of units shipped, they may decide that the risk is too high to make a firmware change since they don't even know if they fix say my Dell & Intel BT hardware, it will also stop other unwanted turning on.

2. If they can kill 2 b's with one stone, they much prefer that.  Fix the problem in the as yet unreleased product.

The impact perhaps from their perspective (which may or may not be realistic - it's a 'risk assessment') is the amount of revenue loss due to lost future customers may be far less than the revenue needed to be allocated to fix all the unwanted turning on issues.

Let me give you a personal analogy.  When I buy a car, I 'assume' that all the features I want will work a certain way - often the way my previous cars or other cars do.  So when I purchased my new Prius in 2011, I noticed that my fogged up rear window continued to be fogged up even after I kept the rear window defroster for 30 min to an hour.  I went back to the dealer multiple times explaining and expecting the rear window defrosters clear the fog on my rear windows.  I was told it was 'by design' - the rear window defroster was only there to melt and get rid of ice build up (yeah - right - in Southeast, Texas... ice.... Smiley Happy ).

So now what - it will impact my next decision should I be in the market to replace my Prius with another.  But will I get another knowing about the rear window defroster issue?  Perhaps.... they may have changed the design since 2011 - I'll ask.  But more importantly, the choice of the Prius will be governed by many factors and the lack of defrosting on that window (it has two rear windows) may or may not be persuasive enough to impact my decision.

I have a laptop that turns on my Revolve.  But I often don't turn it off and if so, it is inconvenient but I can unpair Revolve.  I use the Revolve for many things, not just with my laptop.  In fact, lately one of them has mainly been used as my speaker phone in my studio (I just hate using my iphones internal speaker Smiley Happy ).  The turning on issue for me is nuisance but has small impact.  In fact, if I want, I can disable my Intel BT hardware and begin using my SMK Nano USB BT dongle again instead.  It works great and does not turn on my Revolve even when paired.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic

Joel Irwin,

Thanks for the long-winded didactic answer, but you buried the lead: your last sentence "The turning on issue for me is nuisance but has small impact" is your real point. Since that's your real point, why intervene? You don't really care about the issue but those contributing do. Get over yourself.