Soundlink Revolve + Randomly Turning On

Friendly Fanatic

Re: Soundlink Revolve + Randomly Turning On

Tony G,

Do you see the irony in your request? This thread is what, 30 pages long, it started way over a year ago, you have encountered a very wide array of customer responses: some have taken the time to call Bose, others have said they will never buy the product again, others have found fixes that were complicated and still didn't work, I was lucky enough to downgrade my software upgrade so that I fixed the problem by using an older version of the speaker software. Everyone of the customer complaints were CCC: calm, cool and collected. We're audiophiles!

After all this back and forth you ask people to behave "civily" when Bose is the source of uncivil behavior? Bose takes our hard-earned $$$ for its product and even when hearing complaints in the forum Bose offers for voicing issues, the corporation demonstrates disrespect for those who pay the salaries at Bose: the customers!

Tony G, why not defend us who buy Bose products instead of asking us, after all this time, to calm down? I've learned over the years how asking my partner to "calm down" is the worst thing I can do. That's just a way of repressing or denying the message. Get this right, sir, the customer service, at least in this instance, is what is uncivil and insulting. Not the reaction to it. Start at the source and fix the problem without telling us, grownups and adults, how to behave on top of not doing a software fix.

Friendly Fanatic

Simple solution here, let us rollback to firmware 1.2.2 while your engineering department is thinking about the ability to turn off BLE on the Soundlink Revolve.

Highlighted
Vocal Volunteer

Well that is good to know.  I have not read all the pages of this thread.  Have there been others here with totally random turn ons - meaning you look at the Revolve and it suddenly turns on but there were no actions occuring on the paired device.  If so, are they only Surface Pro's or other tablets, phones, or PCs/laptops/Macs?

Friendly Fanatic

I'm fairly certain that there were others who had symptoms similar if not identical to mine, I'd look at the first couple of pages in the thread cause this particular one got quite large and others have included devices that aren't the Revolve + and just anti-Bose rants lol. I can't speak for them, but for me the randomly turning on problem only occurred when I had my Revolve paired to a Windows device. If the device was paired (meaning the Revolve could recognize the device from its connection history) the Revolve would automatically turn itself on and connect to that Windows device if it was being used (although it would turn itself on and reconnect randomly even if the Windows device was "asleep"). I think that my problem specifically is only related to when connecting to a Windows device, but I don't have any Apple products to see if it affects other platforms. I also know that it wasn't purely my Surface because my desktop uses a bluetooth usb adapter and it did the same thing when connected to it (and the Surface Pro had been removed from its connection history via the Bose Connect app on my Samsung). I also know for a fact that this problem doesn't happen with my Samsung Galaxy s7 Edge (Android) because I use my Revolve + daily with it. If for some reason I do need to use my Revolve + with any of my Windows devices I just connect it via the headphone jack and the aux input on the speaker to circumvent the problem. 

Vocal Volunteer

I think Bose would love to get their hands around this but they are not going to buy and test every possible windows combination.  Now we know it only happens with certain windows combinations.  For example I have a Dell Pecision laptop with Intel BT and Win 7/64 and it will turn on my Revolves but only during the power on/boot process - never for anything else. Dell Precision desktop with SMK Nano USB Dongle and Win 7/64 - never turns on my Revolve.  And I have two Revolves  - same behavior for both.

So we need to get a better idea of what will likely turn it on.  Is it (1) a specific version of windows, (2) windows with certain updates, (3) a particular BT hardware vendor with certain driver versions.   We also need to get a better idea of when in those combinations it turns on - I only see it during boot - but you see it randomly and someone here today said he turns off his Revolve and it keeps playing music.... mea culpa! Smiley Happy

We would all like Bose to define the 'by design' behavior (which I believe is currently all happening through the Connect app) and fix all the other behavior.  Perhaps the likelihood could be better if we can define more specifically what the environment is under which it will turn on.  For example, does it happen for all Surfaces - or just certain ones with certain operating system versions.

Animated Arbiter

I totally agree problem source might be with M$ BTE implementation. That said, my problem is with Boss Revolve product. Being able to turn off BTE is a minimum if it can't be fixed on product side. Fans won't last forever... Already know some converting to products like Google Home with more features and better support.
Friendly Fanatic

Most importantly, imho, is that is not up to the paying customers to do work for the rich corporation! If they sollicited information from us and were willing to pay us for such information, that would be one thing. But why give them something for nothing? They would never do the same. Where are the representatives from Bose? I say do the right thing: stop buying their stuff and stop giving them info. They aren't gonna do nothing.

Vocal Volunteer

Many of us are trying to suggest to Bose to update the firmware to provide an option to turn OFF everything (including BLE) when the power switch is pushed to turn it off.  Adding a control in the interface and a bit of extra code to implement it does not seem to me particularly complicated (and I have been a professional programmer in past life) but as I don't know their firmware nor BT layered protocol APIs, I could for sure say how difficult.

I hope they do a change for the Revolve and in fact for any Bose device that implements BT.   What I hope they do for their future products (and I have been soap boxing it here and with them in phone conversations for months) is the car headlight analogy.  It has three positions - OFF, ON, and AUTO.  For ANY MACHINE for hundreds of years, OFF has always meant OFF and ON means ON.  Those are decisions made specifically by the consumer.  If you want the machine to decide for itself, there should be a third position.  This is what IMHO Bose overlooked in the design of their current BT products.  I hope they 'understand it' better for their future product designs.

Friendly Fanatic

In my case the issue is with my Dell Xps laptop (windows 10). Everytime I turn on the laptop when windows loads, it switches on the revolve +. And the worst thing is that I CANNOT turn it off (when I do it, then after 10 sec or so it will automatically turn itself on again.. That ANNOYING... So I have to delete revolve+ as a known Bluetooth device in my windows. And then add it again every time I want to connect again. Another solution would be to switch off bluettoth in windows 10 (when not using revolve+) ,but I use all the time Bluetooth mouse. (this problem happens exactly the same with my Bose Sound touch bar 300).
Friendly Fanatic

I forgot to mention that all windows 10 laptops that I see this issue happening of turning on the revolve+, were laptops with network card either from Intel or Killer. So I assume that those network cards (which are very good actually) might have a kind of "feature" that together with this BLE from Bose, make this mess that is annoying us.