Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: Soundlink Revolve + Randomly Turning On

@LolatoI can say technically for a fact from my own testing that Intel Bluetooth hardware will  cause the Revolve to turn on.  It may be possible for Intel or Bose to address and 'fix' the issue but that of course depends on one or both of them taking 'ownership'.  I started a discourse last week with Bose and am still trying to convince Dell to talk to Intel.  The more advocates we have on the various issues who talk directly to the vendors, the better.  It is nice to read about the issues here but imho, limiting discussions to this forum will not likely yield the results we are looking for.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi Lolato,

Thanks for posting. the ability to turn off BLE is something that we are aware that users are requesting. We are currently seeing if that is something that can be implemented in a future update. As soon as we have news we will let the community know!

Regards,

Tony g - Community Support

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 3, 2018

My responses to both Tony G and JoelIrwin: Tony G, really? Can you even feign a little sympathy as a Bose customer support rep? Your us of terms like "currently seeing" and "future update" are pure orwellian corporate speak for "we don't know what to tell you." You do, dear Tony G, realize that this problem is over an entire year old?

Joel Irwin, while admiring your dedication, I can think of no more excruciating time spent on this earth than trying to speak with a corp rep on the phone. I applaud your efforts but disagree with your conclusions: customers are not people "enlisted" to converse with techies to pinpoint a software problem. Like someone else wrote, hitting the off button means the machine is off. Our expectations are not high. Off means off. The entire responsibility is on the producer, not the customer.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@QueneauI know this might be confusing but there are two Joel's.  There is me and there is Joel_D who works for Bose and is a moderator in the forum.  I do not work for Bose.

>Can you even feign a little sympathy as a Bose customer support rep?
Wrong Joel

>You do, dear Tony G, realize that this problem is over an entire year old?
In corporate speak when I worked for that very large oil company we tended to 'wordsmith'... 🙂 🙂  I personally see anything not initiated by Bose Connect as a problem meaning it should not happen and should be eliminated.  On the other hand as we know here, Bose merely says they have forwarded the 'issue' or 'situation' or whatever the heck you/we want to call it to engineering.  That means in corporate speak that they have not identified it as a problem yet whether we spoke of it a year ago or not.  yes definately frustrating.   I have an issue reported last year with the Revolve where it keeps switching back to my iphone speaker for incoming and outgoing phone calls after I connect the Revolve.  Bose has yet to take ownership on that one.

> I can think of no more excruciating time spent on this earth than trying to speak with a corp rep on the phone.
I don't mind spending the time.  It's a 'giveaway' for me.  I am looking for absolutely nothing in return.  I used to get paid to do this for a living (working with technology vendors)

>customers are not people "enlisted" to converse with techies to pinpoint a software problem
Agreed but the alternative is 'log jam'....

>Like someone else wrote, hitting the off button means the machine is off. Our expectations are not high. Off means off. 
You address me at the beginning of the paragraph and then said  "someone else" - that someone else is ME!!!  You may be confusing the two Joel's again.  I have soapboxed on OFF means OFF perhaps a half a dozen times in the last few months and I advocate for a third toggle other than ON and OFF.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 3, 2018

I apologize for the confusion, thanks for your understanding.

I did especially appreciate your comments on the "off" button, as you can tell. Such straight talk is refreshing these days.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 21, 2018

The fact remains, Joel the Moderator, that the solution has already been stated: Let us roll back to the previous firmware as this was not a problem before. Put the older version BACK in the Bose Updater, those of us who HATE the behavior will downgrade, and we'll all shut up.

The larger problem with the way the BLE is implemented on Windows machines is that ALL of the device controls are completely taken over by the laptop. I can't turn it off, and when I AM actually using it with my laptop, I can't turn it down in the other room without going ALLLL the way back to the laptop. Every control on the face of my speaker is useless. How would ANYONE think this would be appropriate behavior?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 14, 2019

I'm stuck in 2.51, which of course, will not SHUT OFF! It's not that I don't enjoy a good alarm clock, it's that I prefer to set the time that the "alarm" goes off!!!! If I could have an off switch for this speaker.(One that STAYS OFF is an off switch) I would love that! I've tried about 6 browsers to get the advance mode solution to work, but no go. IE, Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome.... Ido not have time for this, this is what a comanies IT dept. is for!!

Participant
Registered since

Feb 16, 2019

agree. Can somebody just solve this problem? The revolve plus scared my family at the middle of the night just now, after I accidentally turn on the bluetooth. Is there a way to hard turn off the speaker please???!
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

I have a Dell laptop which when I turn it on will cause my Revolve to turn on as well.  For me at least, if I unpair the revolve from the laptop from both ends (deleted it with Bose connect on my iphone and remove device from my windows laptop), I do not recollect it ever turning on by itself.  Unpairing could be a hassle if you have to constantly re-pair it.  I am not near my studio until Tue where I could do some testing with my Revolve but there is a chance that if you hit AUX and then power OFF it may not turn on (but that's a long shot).  The other option you have is to disable your Bluetooth (BT) hadrware and use a different BT solution which does not have that behavior - not every BT hardware will turn on the revolve.  My laptop with Dell supplied BT hardware comes from Intel.  If I disable that and use my SMK Nano USB BT dongle with CSR drivers, the Revolve will not turn on ($15 eBay solution).

Getting Bose to 'fix it' has two 'issues' from my non-Bose perspective: (1) they have no way of testing all the laptop and desktop permutations with all the third party BT hardware vendors and so if they find a way to fix one unless it 'generic', you get new firmware and some don't turn on the Revolve and some still do and (2) Bose may decide not to allocate engineering resources at all because of (1) and/or they may decide that fixing that turning on scenario my impact something else working.  And even if they fix it, the firmware change may be weeks or months away - who knows? 🙂

What Bose is highly likely not going to do is change things to make powering off, OFF.  Right now the difference in the state of the power as dictated by pushing the top button is merely a change in "state".  Off is not OFF.  It is just a lower power version of the Revolve (using the Bluetooth Low Energy - BLE standards and functions).  So the Bose connect app, for example can turn the Revolve on and also put it into Party mode from the OFF state.  They really need to implement a 3rd state that I would call "Automatic" (i.e., let the Revolve be controlled by something else much like a car headlight) and then have OFF really mean OFF.  I personally don't see them doing it in a firmware update but who knows, we may get 'lucky' 🙂  I am hoping they see the light about ON and OFF and AUTOMATIC and implement a three way hardware toggle switch on their future products.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 14, 2019

That might be nice if you're the only person using the speaker. What happens when 4-5 people have access to the speaker??? Why, it turns on whenever anyone turns on their bluetooth.

Not good.