Eric Franks
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Feb 14, 2019

Re: Soundlink Revolve + Randomly Turning On

Wow, so you're happy, and the heck with evferyone else? Why not give the users the choice of having an actual off switch? Does that seem too difficult? 

HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Hi,

BOSE is following very strange policy (if any) here. This threads goes rogue for more than one year by now and all the have delivered within this year is:

- one update (1.3.3 -> 1.5.0; Revolve/Revolve+) that fixed some stuff, but not this problem we have
- removed the possibility to go back to 1.2.2
- gave the great advise to unpair the problematic devices (of course not the BOSE device; always the others are to blame!) or reset the whole SoundLink after usage
- said nothing except ... nothing

For the new customers you enjoy the great experience with randomly powering on devices a little background:

- the SoundLink devices have to Bluetooth modules:
1. the LE-Module (LE stands for Low Energy and is always active)
2. the Main module (when the SoundLink is powered on and the white or blue LED for Bluetooth is on, this is the interface to the whole system including the amp)

The LE-Module is always active to give the customer the possibility to pair a capable device with the BOSE Connect App. The App searches for the devices and shows it wihtin the app. No need to move you body to push a button. Simply drag the image on the app to pair it. Nice and easy.
This modules is active since the beginning of the device and is present even in the legacy version of the firmware.

BOSE somehow had the idea to make it even easier for the customer to power on the device (no-one thought, you might power it off!) while using the app solely. So they made some tweaks in 1.3.3. This was working for the devices they have tested it with.

Problem is, that the LE-module searches for a known (paired) device and "thinks", that the customer pushed the button within the app to power it on. This threshold has been lowered in a way, that the LE-module thinks very often, that the device has to be turned on.

This happens for a lot of devices - but not with all.

From my experience and what people said, some Apple iPhone devices don't bother the SoundLink and keep them quiet, while laptops (e.g. Microsoft Surface Pro 3, MacBook Pro) or some android devices (FireTV Stick, Samsung tablets) turn them on. And when the SoundLink is on, it well be powered on, again.

It is no problem, if you have a device that does not power them on. But if you pair one device, that does trigger the auto-on you will experience it all over again.

What chances do you have as a new customer:
1. Check the version on your SoundLink. If this version is "old", like 1.2.2 on the Revolve/Revolve+ you can feel lucky. You should remove the BOSE Connect App from your smartphone as this app automatically updates your SoundLink to an annoyance device.
2. Return it immediately! This problem exists for more than one year. No word about a fix or anything else. Even you have no problem now, you might get it, when you pair the SoundLink with a second device (laptop, tablet, Smart TV, friend, family). There are better devices with better more serious support. One year without seriously addressing this issue is a clear statement from BOSE: "We don't care!"

If you can't return it. Here are some guidelines:
1. Turn off the voice prompts ("+" and "-" at the same time), this gives you only "beeps" instead of a talking machine
2. Switch to "AUX" mode (button on 3 o'clock) to stop the bluetooth (main) module to be powered on

If you have a device that makes no trouble but some are devices make trouble:
1. Be sure that you remove on the "problematic" device the connection to the SoundLink device. You have to re-pair it, if you want to, again.
2. When you have Spotify Premium you can use your smartphone as a proxy with "Spotify Connect" from you notebook/PC.

To all of you. Keep this thread active and alive! Contact your local BOSE store (if available) and contact BOSE support.

Thank you!

HermannS

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Some more unfortunate news this AM to pass on.  Got my final communication from Dell.  Quick background - Dell uses the Intel combined wifi/bluetooth chipset integrated (as a miniboard) into its laptops.  They have one other option but as I remember it does not support dual band (5 Ghz) wireless.  A paired Revolve will turn on when the Dell laptop boots.  Dell effectively today sent me a final email saying they can't help any further since Intel says it's a hardware problem which can not be rectified by firmware/driver updates.  So we are now left with the current situation that none of Bose, Dell, and Intel will rectify the situation.

So if you do not want to unpair your Revolve, you will need to disable the Intel BT part and purchase a BT USB dongle such as the one I have - the SMK Nano with CSR software.  Now I don't currently pair at all with my laptop since I have two revolves and I can not reliably get them into 'stereo' mode every time.  So I use a stereo splitter and wires with AUX mode when I use them with my laptop.

Keep in mind that the turning on issue is specific to the Revolve.  I have a Soundlink Mini 2 which does not turn on - it does not support Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) at all.  Also, neither of my QC35ii and my Soundsport Wireless will turn on and they stay paired.

So we can not expect anything from Dell or Intel in 2019.  Whether Bose will address this situation (since it doesn't happen with all non-smart devices) is anyone's guess.

docrix
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 4, 2019

I've had the Revolve for 3 days and it didn't take long for me to find this thread with a Google search after noticing that turning the speaker "off" was an exercise in futility.  I have a Surface Pro 4 and it would cause the disembodied robot lady to announce a connection whenever I turned the computer on.  It's amazing and disappointing that Bose has not only failed to address the problem in over a year, but early in the process removed the only effective workaround (falling back to a less "feature-rich" version) to the specific problem that's bugging me.  So I have a choice. I could return the speaker for a refund and get my $159 back and buy a competitor's product.  But the hardware engineer is tempted to see if I can open the thing up (looks like it would need a can opener), find the right trace to cut, and wire in an actual power switch, which is what I really want.  Tempting...

Back in my early audiophile days, there was a saying that went "Friends don't let friends buy Bose."  I always thought that a little harsh - until now.  I'm certianly not interested in getting anything else from them that contains software.

jjhulett5
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 6, 2019

I really need this resolution but am baffled at how to get the ADV drop down from your instructions. Can you advise a different way. I tried but must be doing something wrong. I wrap this thing in a blanket and stuff in to my closet at night.

Highlighted
HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Hi!

The downgrade is no longer working as BOSE removed the non-annoying firmware from the server for a "better experience" and easier support.

I recommend to turn off the voice prompts ("+" and "-" at the same time) and to switch to "AUX" before you push the off button. The SoundLink will stay off. To get back into Bluetooth mode, you have to turn it on and push the Bluetooth button.

Keep this topic active!

HermannS

jjhulett5
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 6, 2019

I have the voice prompts off, but how do you swtch to AUX?

HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

The AUX button is marked with a cirlce and an arrow. On the Revolve and Revolve+ it is the button on 3 o'clock.

HermannS

jjhulett5
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 6, 2019

I got it. Hopefully something will change now. I'll find out tonight. Im gonna leave it out for the first time since I bought this thing. I appreciate your help. You Rock! Bose Support doesn't.

csanupam
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 25, 2018

More than a year with no resolution. What a shame!!!

BOSE - I hope you are reading. If you really want to keep this *bug* aka feature in the name of 'BLE user experience' then please feel free to do so but those who do not want it atleast give them a kill switch... Don't think that is too much of an ask after spending a bomb on your products.