Soundlink Revolve + Randomly Turning On

Animated Arbiter

Re: Soundlink Revolve + Randomly Turning On

Just let you know it's 4am and I am up!  Thanks to my new alarm clock, the Revolve +.  Could you please add an option to configure the alarm time?  Thanks again for your precious help.

Friendly Fanatic

I have stopped using Bluetooth on this product entirely and just pluggin it in through aux. Amazingly, this is still a problem. Every three days or so, the Soundlink stops receiving sound through auxilary and I have to reset it. Customer service is absolutely useless; they want me to send it in for service for a known software issue. I think I have figured out the problem however: this is an inferior product from an inferior company that could care less about its customers. Buying a Bose speaker is possibly the worst purchase decision I have ever made.

Audible Advocate

Bose, please update firmware to solve this problem. I bought this speaker 2 months ago and when forget to change to aux input the speaker just turns on when the bluetooth of my computer and/or smartphone starts. Very disappointing with Bose.

Wistful Whiz

@RcampanaHere are some 'issues' imho (being a customer like you and not connected with Bose):

1. Some here said Bose has had the issue for over a year.  We are giving Bose more credit than is due.  It would be accurate to say we reported the problem over a year ago.  They have imho looked at the issue way back when and have decided not to address it.  I do not believe anyone is working the issue.  They have stated here a bunch of times that they don't bring pcs in house for testing since there are too many combinations to test.  Again, I believe Bose does not see this as a current issue to address specifically for any future firmware.

2. Bose has said here repeatedly that their implementation of Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) is by design.  I get that.  The Bse Connect app can turn on the revolve both individually and when turning on Party mode.  However, I believe we are giving them too much credit to think that this turning on situation when a PC powers on is by design - because if it were, it would happen for all devices and it doesn't. I think this situation is 'fallout'.  By the way, it won't power on for my iPhone 7+ (powering on).  Can someone describe if they have a phone that powers on and causes the Revolve to power on.

3. If the issue is specific to Windows machines, it would be foolish for us to believe that it is going to be addressed by any of Microsoft, the PC vendor (such as Dell, H-P, or Lenovo) or the Bluetooth hardware/chipset vendor (such as Intel).  I have already gone down that road unsuccessfully.

4. The power on issue will not occur with all thrid party BT chip sets.  For example it DOES happen for my Intel BT chipset on my Dell but it DOES NOT happen if I disable it and use an SMK Nano BT Dongle with CSR drivers.  So without the Dongle I leave the Revolve(s) unpaired until I need to use them with BT (normally I hard wire with or without a stereo splitter - L & R connectors).  With the Dongle, I can leave them paired.

So bottom line is how is Bose going to fix this with firmware?  Which PC and third party Bluetooth chipsets and dongles should they fix it for?  Under which operating systems and updates?  We would think they would address this but the testing and verification is too complex and imho they deem too expensive for an affected population which is rather small (as I am guessing that a vast majority of the Revolve market is for smart devices).

Audible Advocate

Guys, I just want to confirm, as someone posted earlier in this thread, that at least with the Revolve+, you can turn off the low level Bluetooth signal (and the speaker) by holding down the multifunction key for 6-7 seconds, until all three lights on the top of the speaker blink rapidly.  I confirmed with a BLE scanner that turning off the speaker in this manner also turns off the low level bluetooth signal.  Then, one press on the power button turns the bluetooth on, and a second press will turn the speaker on.  And, this action does not "reset" the speaker to default or clear the paired devices list, it seems to simply be a "hard" power off.  For now, I have also uninstalled the Bose Connect app on my phone, to avold any automatic firmware upgrade that might remove this function.

Don't know about the Revolve (non-plus) or any other devices, but this definitely solves the issue with the Revolve+.

Wistful Whiz

@SRM6(and whoever else said it) Great catch!!!!!!!!!!!!  I can confirm that what you describe also works on a regular Revolve - no BLE signal after holding down the multifunction key.

I also performed the following test:

1. Left BLE signal on and rebooted my Dell Precision laptop with Intel Wifi/BT halfcard.  After the laptop rebooted, the Revolve turned itself on.

2. Turned off the BLE signal as you instructed (and checked to make sure it was off).  Rebooted the laptop a second time.  The Revolve did NOT turn itself on after the reboot.

Looks like you have discovered the current real OFF button on the Revolve.  People here will appreciated it.

Audible Advocate

Credit goes to lecter84, on page 11 of this thread.

Amazing that this "feature" does not seem to be anywhere documented by Bose. 

Highlighted
Vocal Volunteer

Hi!

Actually this "feature" is well documented and part of the knowledge base: https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/article/enabling-low-power-mode-revolve.html

Another workaround for a crappy implementation of the BLE feature ...

Let's vote for a fixed firmware!

Cheers

HermannS

Audible Advocate

That appears to be incorrect.  The "feature" I described involves pressing the multifunction button for 6-7 seconds only and does not clear the bluetooth pairing list, as I stated in my original post. The unit does not announce “Bluetooth device list cleared.”

The link you posted involves pressing the button for 10 seconds to clear the pairing list, which provides the quoted announcement.

These appear to be two different "features."

Wistful Whiz

Just to be sure - by pushing the buttom multifunction button, it will turn off Bluetooth ONE TIME.  What that means is that if you ever use the unit again and turn it on, you will need to remember to both turn it off and then hold the button multifunction button again.  It works, but I guess people are going to forget to do that.  I do agree we still need a single button to do a full OFF.  In 'leui' of that.... Smiley Happy  What about changing the firmware to make the top button a three instead of a two state toggle (assuming Bose doesn't want just a two state - ON and OFF toggle on the top).  There is precedent for that - Bose has a three state toggle for ANC on the QC35ii, for example.  So why not ON, BLE, and OFF - three states on the top button - with voice prompt of course Smiley Happy