Michael Bait
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 26, 2019

Re: Soundlink Revolve + Randomly Turning On

I am very disappointed with Bose at this point because it is now apparent that the company is actively "breaking" its product with firmware updates and taking away the freedom of consumers to revert to the previous firmware. The update should aim to improve product quality, not detract from it. My experience with this product has been nothing but frustration.

I have been loyal to Bose for a long time, but the trust and confidence that I had in this brand is now starting to wane. I think it's better to move to B&O, Sony, or other trusted brands until Bose stop ruining its products with firmware updates.

prozents
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 21, 2019

Bose Revolve Blue Tooth does not turn off when speaker is turned OFF

Recently I started noticing quite unpleasant feeling in my living room. It was kind of jerking feeling at some interval repeating continuously, going thru my spine and head. Knowing my sensitivity to EMF I checked my apartment for EMF sources( intensity of it really as EMF is everywhere) with my RF meter and I found very strong RF signal in my room. After 30 min of searching for the source, to my surprise, it was my new Bose Revolve, turned OFF for several days now, emitting very strong signal that on the graph of my meter looks like a continuous square wave with about 3 sec duration and about .5 second of quiet time between bursts.

I really loved this speaker for good sound and all, but now it is wrapped in aluminum foil and securely stored in my gas stove oven( for added EMF shielding).

Would anyone have any idea how to kill this undocumented feature? Feature being - speaker emitting strong RF(Bluetooth range I guess) signal while in OFF position? Or while speaker is on Aux mode? I find strong RF emissions in both situations when it should be totally OFF!

Thank you!

Pavel.

Carsten5
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 26, 2019

Re: Bose Revolve Blue Tooth does not turn off when speaker is turned OFF

Same problem with my Revolve+

I really need to be able to actually turn it OFF, which currently is not possible at all. When somone of the family uses Bluetooth for something completely different, it just switches on. This makes the Resolve+ an extremely annoying device and I am thinking about returning it.

@bose: Please fix this. It is just a simple change in the firmware! I don’t understand why there is no reaction for more than a year now.

HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Hi,

this topic obviously never ends ...

I've run some deeper tests yesterday with a Revolve updated to v3.0.4 (from the August 2019). I did a reset to factory settings (10 sec pressing Power button) and removed from all devices the pairing.

To make it short: The issue has not been addressed in any way!

Some other problems might have been resolved, but the main and most annoying problem exists since introduction of v1.3.3.

Although there are some important things to know as different devices and systems handle this with different kinds of approaches. Some are "fine" some are "annoying".

A little background information for those who jumped directly down here on page 32 of this topic:

Like almost every current device to day, the modern SoundLink (Revolve and Mini II) devices have two Bluetooth modules built in. The first (and always active) module is the BLE, the Bluetooth Low Energy module. You can find it in the devices list, when you activate pairing on the SoundLink and take a look in the available devices on you smartphone/PC. It has the name "LE-Bose SoundLink Revolve". You can connect to it, but it makes no sense for that.

The second module is the main unit. It is only active when device is powered on.

The BLE acts like an agent for the main unit. In case a known device tries to connect, it powers the sleeping SoundLink on. This is the major problem we are facing.

The host music devices (smartphone/PC) act differently. Some devices don't care for known (paired) devices and don't try to connect to them. Others do .... and cause the SoundLink to be powered on instantly.

Here are my results:

- Apple iPhone Xs with iOS 13.2: SoundLink stays "powered OFF". When you click on the device in the blueooth list where it says "not connected", then the iPhone tries to connect and activates (powers on) the SoundLink. This is acceptable.

- Microsoft Surface Pro with Windows 10 1909: SoundLink is "powered ON" when Surface is turned on. Most (all?) Windows devices actively try to connect to known devices. Therefore the BLE module jumps in and pushes the power button on the SoundLink

- Android: SoundLink is "powered ON" when the device is back in the environment (coming home, entering the proximity of the SoundLink) or when the device is powered on (like the FireTV Stick 1st Gen. along with your TV). These devices try to connect to know devices and trigger the BLE to turn it on.

Generally speaking: nothing significant has changed. The BLE seems to be a little more relaxed compared to the former versions (but no comparison to the quiet world with the v1.2.2). There is still no option to disable this behaviour and there is absolutely no way to change this. It would be sooooo easy to implement it within all of these options ...

I hope this helps to understand what's going on for almost two years now!

Regards,

HermannS

Highlighted
STARgum
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 8, 2019

I have a new thing happening with mine.. I've been following this thread for a while because I have had this issue of the speaker just randomly turning on BUT NOW....

The speaker TURNS MY PHONE'S BLUETOOTH FROM OFF TO ON AND CONNECTS.

Get it together, Bose, and address this.