Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 13, 2019

Re: Soundlink Revolve + Randomly Turning On

I have voice turned off already. Even if I switch the speaker to aux before powering it down, when I enable Bluetooth on my laptop, the speaker immediately powers up and beeps with the light showing Bluetooth mode.

Short of killing the battery or literally destroying the device, I have no means of deactivating it; as long as I store this in my home, it is as if my house is haunted by a speaker that seems able to activate at any time. Last night this speaker managed to play a paused YouTube clip on my laptop while the lid was closed! In the two years that I have had this laptop it has never produced sound while the lid was closed, but when I hit the power to turn the speaker off (and I must stress that I had previously turned it off already), my laptop did just that, and I had to open and unlock it before I could make the sound stop. At midnight.

Bose does not seem concerned about this problem at all, despite semi-annual reassurances from beleaguered support staff. Perhaps it doesn't happen to enough customers for it to concern them, but this is insane. Could you imagine other appliances randomly powering up throughout the day with no ability to deactivate them?

The worst part of all is that this problem would be easily solvable if Bose would let customers revert back to older software versions; however, as part of Bose's customer service strategy they have removed this ability from their Update Software webservice entirely. The cynic in me wants to point out that they probably did this when they noticed a lot of people downgrading their software and moved to prevent that by simply not allowing it.

I see a lot of people beginning their comments in this thread with an admission that they are long time loyal Bose fans. I find that unbelievable. That this could be an issue for more than a year with essentially no support from Bose for what has to be an easy fix (create an ability to turn it off "off" such that the power button needs to be hit to reactivate it, or as suggested above, have three modes: on, automatic, and off) is unconscionable.

I was really excited about getting a Bose speaker and I love the sound, but I need to be able to power down this device. That is really so little to ask: I just want to be able to turn it off.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 14, 2019

+1 waiting for this issue to be fixed (for SoundLink micro).
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@kylekevinrileyFirst of all and I have soapbox'd on this many times in the forums - Bose does not yet understand that its 'machines' like cars need to have three state switches - On, Off, and We Decide (sort of like car headlights).  They have no OFF for the Revolves.  Off is not OFF.  It is merely another state with reduced Bluetooth functionality called Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE).  It is part of the Bluetooth 4.x standard.  They use it, for example, to communicate with the Bose Connect app to turn on the Revolve (i.e., put it into full function ON state) and to engage Party and Stereo modes.  I personally believe the issue we are having here is not 'by design' but unintended - but still needs fixing of course.  I believe that because it does not happen with all Bluetooth devices.  It does not happen with my phone turning on and it does not happen if I disable my Dell Precision M4800 Windows 7/64 laptop internal BT card and use an SMK NANO USB BT dongle with CSR drivers.  But it does happen with Dell's standard mini Wifi/BT card made by Intel.

So here is the first thing you can do - get a free app such as BLE Scanner if you have an iPhone.  It will tell you which devices nearby are emitting a BLE signal.  For example, my Bose QC35ii has no signal when switch off - only when switched on.  My Soundlink Mini II is old enough that it does not support BLE at all (at least not in the firmware I have).  But the Revolve will show up as emitting a BLE even when OFF.  And when I switch it to AUX and turn it off, it still has a signal.  Similarly if I keep it set to BT and turn off voice prompts, still a signal.  Now the presence of a signal does not mean it will necessarily turn on, but that the Revolve is actively looking to communicate with another device in BLE mode (which could turn it on).

Now I went ahead and turned on my laptop using the Intel BT hardware after turning off voice prompts and as a data point - the Revolve did turn itself on (though it took about 5 to 10 seconds to turn on after my desktop showed up).  It is not obvious to me since this is not happening with all BT hardware - whether there is something that can be done on the computer end.  It could be a windows update, or a file or registry entry change, or perhaps a different driver?

The problem we have here is that it is not a 'consistent' issue the Bose engineers could be done for all.  It varies by BT vendor and so we end up with the inevitable catch-22 of Bose telling us to get help from Microsoft or the BT vendor (like Intel) - whereas they say it only happens with Bose and to get help from Bose.  So no one addresses it and as we know BT communication has two ends - so one or both sides will need to look at it to facilitate a change.  This issue is not all that different from the other Bose forum where users are complaining about pairing issues or stereo playing issues on their QC35s but only on some PC with Windows 10 or with some Macbooks.

BTW - While I was typing this, since my Revolve had the Auto off timer set to 5 minutes it turned itself off.  So at least for the time being, it would seem to me that if you turned off voice prompts and set the auto timer to 5 minutes, it will turn itself on (erroneously) and then turn itself back off.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Nov 8, 2018

@bose ETA Please!

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hi everyone!

I know this has been an issue for some of you. However we have some information that might clear up why this is happening.

With the development in technology, Bluetooth 4.0 was released. Bluetooth 4.0 release the new protocol that allows Bluetooth devices to connect without having to be fully powered up. This is called Bluetooth Low-Energy. As technology progressed we at Bose implemented this new standard into our products. So when our speakers detect a device they have previously paired with, they will power up and connect to this device. This saves the difficulty of going into your Bluetooth settings and having to manually connect to your speaker.

This is a feature of our Bluetooth devices and disabling the Bluetooth Low-Energy means removing the ability to be able to connect to the speaker. Bluetooth Low Energy is the protocol to allow you to be able to connect to the speaker. It is built into the Bluetooth chip and isn't something we could tweak with a software update.

I hope this information shines some light on the situation. If you have further questions, feel free to ask and we will do our best to answer them.

Kind Regards,

Brandon_C - Community Support

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 12, 2019

Thanks Brandon! We very much understand what Bluetooth Low emission technology means. But it was working with the older firmware when the speaker was purchased. After the new firmware was updated, this annoying feature was turned on. All we are asking is for you to either turn off the feature or give the users an option to choose whether they need the feature or not! Please dont tell us that it cannot be fixed via a software update. It was the firmware update that messed it up to begin with. So please revert it back.
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 3, 2018

I'm much more convinced by DJKool's note than by Brandon's. I was one of the lucky ones who was able to revert to earlier software and now I don't have the problem. Since then, the Bluetooth 4.0 has been implemented but my speaker no longer turns on on its own whereas I'm sure that my computers and phones all use Bluetooth 4.0. This is evidence that Brandon's information is fake(corporate)news. Why not allow users to simply revert to older software, like the version I'm using, and see if that works for them instead of intimating that there's nothing Bose can do about it, its "Bluetooth's" fault. C'mon!

Highlighted

Hi Queneau! 

I can understand your frustrations in regards to our approach to reverting software. This is something we do not recommend customers to go ahead with, as we recommend keeping all products up to date with the latest firmware version. This is so when we push bug fixes and possible improvements - customers are able to experience these amendments. We do apologise for your disagreement with our approach but we feel this is the most suitable way to benefit our consumers and their products.

In the future if you experience any issues with the functionality of your product, our first check is always towards the firmware/software versions you are running. This is so that we know if the customer may or may not have receieved a recently pushed bug fix. I hope this explains the reasoning for our approach.

Warm Regards,

Sam F

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 6, 2018

really Sam?

do you think that your answer helps anyone?

BOSE RECENT UPDATE MAKES THE SPEAKER TO WAKE US UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!!

this is not a minor problem.

your explanation about "Bose approach" does not helps and even makes the situation worse.

Its like your answer is "we are sorry that we screw your speaker, but we dont care as bla bla..."

Bose must  bring a solution, we will not be fine with thos evadings answers.

BOSE, BRING A SOLUTION OR RETURN OUR MONEY.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Nov 8, 2018

• There is a firmware fix possible since there was an older firmware without the problem.
  • Normally it's better to be at the latest firmware to get bug fixes, in this case we get a bug from being at the latest.
  • I don’t want to have moderator’s opinion, I want to have news on the ticket opened with the engineering team.
  • Bose can't just say it ain't our fault, it's a technology problem!?!  Imagine Telsa saying, your car might not be fully charge on certain mornings because of a battery technology problem!!!