Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 18, 2020

Re: Soundlink Revolve + Randomly Turning On

So I've had this for months with no issues. Yesterday I paired it with my laptop for the first time (only phones previously), and now it keeps turning on by itself. 
I tried the hard reset and for right now it's off...but it's also not linked to anything yet. Very frustrated if this doesn't get fixed!!

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@jillygIts not a problem - it is "by design".  I don't work for Bose but again this is normal and expected behavior.  You may have noticed that if the Revolve is turned off, you can turn it on from your mobile device - this is the same thing.  When you turn off power from the top button, it is not really turning it off - it is putting the Revolve into Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) state.  You can even detect and test for it with any number of free BLE apps.  So when the laptop starts, for example, it will send a signal/command to the Revolve to turn on since you paired the two.

So you really only have two options:

1. Only pair the revolve before you need to use it and unpair when you are done OR

2. Really turn off the Revolve.  Instead of the top power button, hold down the multifunction key until all the lights blink and then let go.  This totally turns off the revolve.  You may have to hit the top power button multiple times to turn it back on.

Again, Bose designed the Revolve to behave this way so they are not going to change or 'fix' anything.  Not all the Bose devices are in BLE mode when you power them off - for example, my QC35ii headphones don't go into BLE mode when off.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 21, 2020

I have purchased a Soundlink 2, and did not know about this “feature”. 
Bose needs to listen to their customers... Provide a way to disable the “auto on” feature. 
Bose developers should be able to do this very easily.. if not, Bose should be finding new developers..

I work as an intermediary between end users and IT for software issues and enhancements.. 

Bose, with this many people complaining about this feature I would think that there would have been an enhancement to the firmware so we can turn this feature off...

otherwise, the only other solution is to go to a competitor... 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 3, 2018

As much as JoelIrwin provides this board with pertinent and helpful information, said information does not address the treatment that paying customers are receiving from this large corporation. Of course the fix could be done easily. But this is what it feels like to be treated poorly; they got your money, end of discussion. As much as Bose wants the appearance of being a class operation, they have no class whatsoever.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@QueneauI take no offense to the comment.  Just passing on what I have learnt and read on this board since 2018 when I joined.  Now as you know I am not a Bose person and not knowledgeable specifically with the firmware code in the Revolve but quite a few years ago, the Bluetooth consortium came up with an enhancement to the BT standard called "Bluetooth Low Emission" (BLE) which in a nutshell allows a device to be designed to consume minimal power while still being able to accept a small number of BT commands like turning on and off.  Now I am guessing here but Bose made a decision when it designed the Revolve to take advantage of power on and power off commands.  So that enabled a customer, for example to use the Bose Connect program to put two Revolves which are both initially off into party and stereo modes.

Now here is the part I need to guess for.  I have not looked at the documentation for the BLE On command to see if there is a parameter that identifies the name of the source or if there is some other identification when the command is issued, that allows the Revolve to do the ON if the command is coming from say Bose Connect but not from anywhere else.  If there is a way for the firmware to differentiate then as you say, Bose could have (though it doesn't currently) turn of the Revolve in BLE under certain fixed or use defined circumstances.

I believe Bose product managers decided years ago to take advantage of the BLE addition to the BT 4.x standard.  Someone in Bose made the a decision of what BT features should be the Revolve and unfortunately made a functional, business, financial decision to not provide a customer with an option to control BLE in general or how BLE Off should be implemented (for example, a toggle in Connect that says Connect only for On/Off or all the time).

From a support and definition perspective, Bose IMHO did not do a real good job defining the behavior of BLE.  For example, most customers do not know to turn the unit off without BLE you do it by holding down the multifunction key.  Again, I would have though they could have implemented in a way to allow the user to define the power button behavior - off with BLE or totally off.

But in actuality, I spent months on the Bose forum suggesting that Bose implement a three way toggle switch.  We have seen that implemented for years on cars headlights - OFF, ON, AUTO.  In that case, OFF is OFF.  If you want something external to control how the headlights turn on and off then you use AUTO.  Three way toggles don't necessarily need three physical positions (though I personal prefer ON, STANDBY, and OFF - many electronic devices have done that for decades).  You can hit the power button once for BLE and a second time (within a specific period say 5 seconds) for total OFF.  Much more remembered than holding down the multifunction key.

But I am now sort of rambling and soapboxing.  In the real world - this is the way it was designed.  Bose should have documented it well enough that customers know about this behavior without coming here - even perhaps before the purchase.  But they did not and it is likely that functionality will not be changed.  BLE OFF on the top button and OFF OFF on the bottom button.  BLE Off will allow any paired device phone, laptop, desktop, etc. to turn on the Revolve on.  I don't like it either but it is what it is.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 23, 2020

Same issue here, find this information really helpful. Thanks!

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 30, 2020

I agree with all that has been said. 

This update is terrible. I cannot count the number of times this feature has woken both my husband and me up, at all hours of the night. How often it interrupts. When I am not using the speaker, I put it in another room under a pillow so it doesn't keep annoying us. It is horrendous.

Easy to say "just turn off the blue tooth on your devices" but that isn't fair. Bose doesn't know what else I may require my bluetooth for. I Should be able to turn off devices, not my whole bluetooth. Truly ridiculous. 

I would aboslutely recommend no one ever to buy this speaker if they are in the market for a good bluetooth speaker. This feature ruined it completely for me. If I hadn't spent so much money on it, I would get rid of it. Hugely unimpressed and more than a little angry about this. 

I have been very restrained and polite in this post. 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 22, 2020

Spoiler
Spoiler
BOSE waste of time

WAKES ME UP every night, won't turn off, CRAP

I don't think I should have to be bothered by a SPEAKER, it's JUST a speaker, I've updated, it still doesn't stay off, it's about to go in the trash after being smashed with an 8 pound sledge because I never want to support your crap again. 

Thanks for your attention   😂

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 22, 2020

I've figured out the solution

BUY a new blue tooth speaker from  J B L or S o u n d b l o k s

Phew, it took awhile but I did it.

Your welcome Bose

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 3, 2020

Bose Soundlink Revolve Speaker // Automatically turns on

I have a Bose Revolve Speaker and I updated the firmware to 3.0.4 to help with an issue I thought I had with charging.  The issue with charging had to deal with me not using the Bose wall adapter which I have figured out.

However, now I am stuck with a stupid speaker that turns on automatically to connect to my computer and/or my phone. Last night I fell asleep watching a show on my phone and it continued for a little bit and then in the middle of the night the speaker decided to connect to my phone and it started playing through the speaker.  Scared the crap out of me.  

How do I not have the speaker turn on automatically? Or how do I go backward on the firmware update?

This speaker is near garage with this firmware