joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: Bose Revolve turns itself on

@grantls 

>Unfortunately I think the two of them are also BLE-ing each other in the middle of the night, keeping

>themselves and me awake.

I may be wrong on this but each Revolve when in BLE mode can communicate only with a BT device with which it is paired.  Bose may correct me on this, but I do not believe two Revolves when in BLE mode can communicate with each other via BT.  I have two Revolves which are paired only with my iPhone 7.  I keep them both off in BLE.  The iPhone will never turn on either Revolve unless I manually ask it to with the Bose Connect app.  An iPhone even when it turns on, will not turn on a Revolve as say a laptop does/desktop does.  And in addition, none of my Revolve's have ever turned been turned on for any other reason so for me that means a Revolve can not itself initiate a BLE on request with another device with which it is NOT paired even if that device is issuing a BLE signal.  In fact, even if the Revolve is paired to another device it can not initiate itself a turn on for a paired device.  The revolve is always in passive mode responding to initiated commands from the other device.

And by the way, there are apps on both iphones and Androids (most are free) that allow you to tell which devices are putting out a BLE signal.  I use "BLE Scanner" on my iphone and it shows when my Revolve is putting out a BLE signal and when it is not.  It also shows that my QC35 headphones and Soundsport do not put out a BLE signal when they are turned off.

grantls
Participant
Registered since

Aug 27, 2017

@joelirwin 

I think you might be right Joel about the Revolve speakers NOT waking each other up. I found another Android phone in the house yesterday that was paired to one of the speakers and now strongly suspect this was the culprit.  I unpaired the 'rogue' phone yesterday and had no issues last night. 

You can disable BLE on Samsung phones by switching off 'Nearby device scanning' in 'More Connection Settings'. However, this means you cannot automatically detect any other new Bluetooth devices in range. You need to manually scan to see them.  But once you've paired with a device once the phone will still automatically connect to it when it comes within range, even with Nearby Device Scanning turned off.

bosi72
Participant
Registered since

May 20, 2020

Is there a simple way to turn this speaker off without any app? I tried keeping power button pressed, then all sorts of combinations with power button, but still saying "ready to connect" or "battery 100%" 

I can not understand why power button works only power ON, but not OFF !

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@bosi72As you know the top button has two states "ON" and "BLE" (bluetooth low energy).  It has no "OFF".  To do an "OFF" hold down the bottom multifunction key until all the lights blink.  It is then really off - no BLE.

dgauv
Participant
Registered since

Dec 3, 2020

Obviously I am experiencing the same issue as sooooo many others with my Bose Resolve+ randomly turning on attempting to make bluetooth connections to devices that are turned on when my speaker was previously turned off. What is even more annoying is if you don't realize this has occured it eventually drains the battery on the Bose Resolve+ so if you need to use it with battery power you can't. What good is a portable bluetooth speaker that has a dead battery everytime you want to use it? Not much IMHO. 

Bose makes some great products but the Resolve and Resolve+ are not one of them as substantiated by all the post on this issue. I have read the littany of posts that go back to 2016 (at least). I have seen multiple replies from Bose attempting to reassure it's customers and product owners that their engineers read and pay attention to community post. It's now 2020 and this problem still has not been addrressed. If your waiting for Bose to fix the problem I suggest you'll be much more satisfied if you go to Plan B - Buy Another Brand!

Don't get me wrong, I trust Bose to make a great sounding product but my perception is they don't know how to properly deploy bluetooth technolgy (or at least they haven't bothered to on the Resolve/Resolve+). Recently I purchased noice cancelling bluetooth headphones. As a result of my experience with my Bose Resolve+ and the lack of ability on the part of Bose to provide a solution to their many unsatified customers for 4+ years, I went with the Beats Studio 3. 

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@dgauv 

> It's now 2020 and this problem still has not been addressed.

That is because Bose imho does not consider it a problem - BLE is a feature that many many vendors decided to implement many years ago when the standard was agreed to.

What I never understood is that Bose could have provided either a three state toggle on the top or an option for whether you wanted the top binary switch to be BLE or OFF.  Instead the top is ON/BLE and the held multifunction key is OFF.  They could have changed that in firmware but decided not to.  Can you imagine a car light switch with ON/Auto and no OFF?

BTW - not all Bose products have a BLE mode.  The QC35ii headphone's I have use a real on/off switch.  No BLE.  You can load on your phone any number of free BLE checking apps to verify this.  Nothing turns on a QC35 when it is OFF (though there is an actually hardware problem with the QC35i turning itself on but that has nothing to do with BT).

dgauv
Participant
Registered since

Dec 3, 2020

Thanks for the insight into BLE technology and compliance with industry standards but like you said ..."They could have changed that in firmware but decided not to." I think that says it all. A firmware change that would allow loyal Bose customers and users to turn this feature on and off would go a long way to removing what is an OBVIOUS and  SIGNIFICANT PAIN POINT!