ADawn
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2018

Re: The SHAME of the SoundLink Micro Bluetooth speaker that YOU CAN NEVER TURN OFF !!!

*sigh* I spoke too soon. Forgive me as I work on a cruise ship so my PC behaves kind of strangely when I'm not paying for internet, I'm learning.

So my laptop was actually in it's THIRD Windows Update state for the week. I guess it was downloading them in the background since I hadn't connected to the internet in a couple of days. It was in "Update then Shut Down" mode when I wrote my earlier post, but I had no idea 'til I went to turn it off as I usually leave it in Hibernate. THIS is when this ascribed behavior is most annoying, and it is when it starts waking me up in the middle of the night or early morning. THIS is what happened this week when the **bleep** Micro started speaking at 5:00am, and of course, since it's in Update mode when I open the lid, I can't turn off the bluetooth at all. Of course I couldn't get back to sleep--at least I got to watch the sunrise over the ocean. Meh.

I'm in port in the States this morning for turnaround day and needed to take care of some business online. Turned on the **bleep** PC, and the annoying behaviour is still there.

Sorry to get anyone's hopes up, lol.

As an FYI:

-I don't keep the Micro plugged up, as evidenced by the "battery 80%. connected to xxx" i got this morning. It lives in my porthole (where the bounce back of the metal is AMAZING) 'til it gets to like 20-30%

-I don't have any "apps" (meaning crap I downloaded from the Windows store) on my Windows 10 machine. This is completely the Windows bluetooth.

-I have been keeping up with this thread since the behaviour started when I updated, but Bose has made it so the "downgrading fix" is no longer available. It's definitely a problem on the Bose side.

Even as I type this, the bluetooth connection was reset somehow as I LITERALLY just got the "Battery 80% Connected to XXXXX" announcement again. *sigh*

ADawn
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2018

Re: The SHAME of the SoundLink Micro Bluetooth speaker that YOU CAN NEVER TURN OFF !!!

Hmmm... So I restarted from hibernation however many hours it was since my last message, and the Micro didn't turn on. I turned it on, and it connected no problem as per usual. I just turned it off, and... 30 seconds later, it didn't turn itself back on! And I checked--there's been no Windows update to my laptop today.

This thing makes absolutely no sense.

ADawn
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2018

Here's one thing I'm noticing: under Sound settings, at least on my Win 10 system, there are two options for the Micro, Speaker and Headset. Choosing the Headset option, the speaker behaves as it should but sounds like utter garbage. Using Speaker gives the unwanted behaviour but the true Bose sound.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

That means that your have added the device but not all your services are running.  You need to get the stereo renderer/A2DP service running.  The headset uses a different service and will play things in Mono. Under both Win 7 and Win 10 getting A2DP ruuning can be problematic for some bluetooth implementations (and the associated drivers).  SOMETIMES one of these two things may work/help: (1) I have win 7 but if you have a bluetooth window, try double clicking on the device and then if you see an A2DP/Sink service double click on that to see if you can get that services started.  Failure means it times out. Then (2) I sometime was able to using Bose Connect app on my iPhone, disconnect the device from the computer in the 'connections' window in the app and then reconnect it back in that same window.

If that does not work, very likely you will not be able to get a stereo device working in your current configuration.  I described earlier tonight what to try then in a different post: Issues-bose-revolve-soundlink-bluetooth

Lolato
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 15, 2018

Hi,

I'm also the user who is experiencing this issue of Switching On automatically when I turn on my Windows 10 PC. (it happens with both my Revolve+ as well as with my Home Theater Bose Soundbar Touch 300).

Anyway, while we wait for a fix from BOSE, another topic that called my attention here was that someone mentioned that Revolve+ volume is louder when AUX cable connected compared to Bluetooth connected... And I was curious and decided to give it a try. I tried now and seemed to confirm it (even when enabling "Loudness" option in Windows' sound features). I google searched it but I couldn't find any confirmation of this. Does anybody have any information about it? (if it makes any difference to sound loudness using bluetooth vs AUX cable)?

thanks

Rodrigo

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

I mentioned it as well as others.  Its a problem/bug imho and not a feature.  Happens only with my laptop on BOTH my Revolves, but does not happen with my Bose headphones or my Soundlink mini (a Bose speaker).  The volume should be the same coming from a PC no matter whether it plays through Bluetooth or you wire it to the stereo mini jack and play it through AUX.  That is true for everything but the Revolve.  On the Revolve, the volume for Bluetooth is significantly softer.

Queneau
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 3, 2018

To all from Queneau: Bose is not attentive to its customers. All we are asking for is software that allows us to choose how to run the speaker. We don't like running software that does not permit choices or which makes choosing how to run the software into high-level software engineering. At the same time, if Bose offers software upgrades that provide its customers with choices, that is good and we appreciate it. But if Bose is offering software that gathers our information or that dupes the customer into believing that the upgrade is necessary or beneficial, we don't want it. We are not just "sources of information" for future Artificial Intelliegence applications. We actually just want to listen to good tunes in peace.

Linus
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 19, 2017

So is there an option to turn this thing off yet?

There is an option in the app that says "timer for automati..."

What does that do? Related?

Unbelievable frankly the blunders that Bose do.

QC35 - Bluetooth super weak

Sleepbuds - Doesnt sync properly between buds

Revolve - Cant turn off and an app that leaves you guessing
Customer Support - Very rigid and automated. These threads speak for themselves.

Its a real shame, because the build quality and sound are great. 

Sigh...............

Regards

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Linus - The idea behind the Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) which came out with Bluetooth 4.0 eight years ago, is to provide a standard for implementors to create bluetooth compliant products that can stay on all the time without using up much energy/battery.  That is all the standard does - the rest is up to the way manufacturers implement it.  As far as I can tell (since Bose does not document it, you have to ask), Bose has implemented BT 4.1 or 4.2 on all its devices.  Nothing yet has BT 5.0 which came out last year (2017).  So as far as the Revolve implementation goes which I gleem from using my free iPhone "BLE Scanner" app (avail in store), the Revolve emits a BLE all the time - whether you have switched the power switch on or off.  In the case of the Revolve of course you are pressing an on/off button.  Not all Bose devices do it that way.  I don't have them all obviously so others would need to test, but some products like the QC35ii do not emit BLE when off and older products like the Sounlink Mini don't implement BLE at all.  I can't speak for the Soundlink Micro.

So then the only question left to ask is what is the different in 'state' for let's say the Revolve when the switch is OFF or ON.  Remember it is not really off as we think it, it is in a state as defined by the OFF switch - does that make sense?  For example in the OFF switch state (which is really on 🙂 ) it consumes less power than if you put the switch in ON state (remember, technically it's a button on the revolve).

So when you then ask about the "Auto-off Timer" which is a feature you can set in the Bose Connect app.  Yes you can specify whether the timer is off or how many minutes until it is invoked.  But all that will do, as I understand it, when it is invoked is the same thing that would happen if you pushed the on/off button.  It puts the Revolve in a a low-power state which it calls OFF but we know that it is really technically still on emitting a BLE signal.

Again the only thing to really understand here imho for the Revolve is what the difference in behaviors between what it calls ON and OFF states.  But their implementation of OFF does not conform to what we think OFF is.  We think of OFF as no behavior at all since the power is off.  But Bose does not turn off Power in OFF state.

I am very serious in the above description - I am not trying to make it funny or a play on words.

mili
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 8, 2018

14 pages of posts and still no solution!  There is already an option to turn on/off the auto shutoff mode, simply adding an option to turn on/off the auto wakeup mode would do the trick...