Contributor
Registered since

Jul 17, 2018

Re: Soundlink Revolve + Randomly Turning On

Hi Charlotte,

Thanks for sharing this other thread with angry people having the same issue on the SoundLink Color II. Since the problem occurs on many devices, what's Bose plan to fix this?

Regards,
François
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@fcorbeil  You are making an assumption that Bose considers the turning on a problem and plans to fix it / stop turning on its devices when you turn on a windows or mac machine.  Unless I missed something (and you can point out the thread to me and others here) - Bose has never called this a problem.  So I believe for their current products, Bose call this a feature (in the industry it would be referred to a "by design").

As mentioned here and other similar posts, the Revolve has two 'off states'.  The primary off state as toggled to by tape the top on off switch, does not actually turn off the Revolve but rather puts the Revolve into a Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) state which is actually an ON state with limited functionality - such as the ability to turn it back on again from another paired device.  You can tell whether the Revolve or any of the Bose devices are emitting a BLE signal through any number of (most of them are free) apps you can get in the Apple Store and Google Play.  I use the free app "BLE Scanner".

On the Revolve, to turn OFF the BLE signal and totally power down the Revolve, in the ON state until all the lights come on you depress the bottom multifunction key until all the lights come on (it will also start Siri for iPhones which needs to be shut down).  Some devices such as the QX35ii and Soundlink Mini II (which I have) - do not put out a BLE signal when turned off.  From this thread I would guess that the Soundlink Color does have a BLE state but I don't know if that state can be turned off like the Revolve can.

Contributor
Registered since

May 10, 2019

I made an account today to specifically post on this (25 page!) post of users consistently complaining about a feature for over a year.

This auto-on feature is a bad experience.

I have a soundlink color 2 and have happily used it for a year. I updated the firmware about a week ago and now it is constantly turning off and on as me and my wife's laptop, phones, etc move nearby. It's completely undesired and apparently can't be disabled.

Please provide a simple method to disable this permanently without regularly unpairing devices or we are going to get rid of this speaker.

Why is this not an option to enable/disable in the Bose Connect App????

Participant
Registered since

May 11, 2019

I confirm the same issue on Soundlink Revolve. Speaker turns on whenever I turn on my pc. This was ok at the beginning, as turning off the speaker was enough. Now, if I turn off the speaker, it goes on again by itself after a couple seconds, and this goes on forever. Only solution is to turn off my laptop bluetooth.

I agree with other users: it's sad that Bose is not doing anything about this issue, after several months and so many complaints. @joelirwin: whether this is an issue or not should depend on customers' opinions, not on Bose's considerations.

Please solve this problem.

Contributor
Registered since

Mar 14, 2019

Thanks for the post, but the procedure not worked. The only solution is a new firmware update, but I think Bose doesn't care.

Participant
Registered since

May 12, 2019

Are there any recent updates to the SoundLink Revolve + random turning on issue?

I called tech support the other day...useless..

Contributor
Registered since

May 10, 2019

I've spent the last few days speaking with Bose customer support about this.

We've gone from troubleshooting it as a bug, to trying to update firmware again, to waiting for a new Android app release (which didn't have any related firmware updates for the speaker), to eventually acknowledging that

• This is a feature, not a bug
  • It is not possible to disable it
  • It is not possible to roll back firmware

At one point they had me unpair all devices, which indeed fixes the problem... until you pair a device again to play music. 

In short, this is just bad user experience. When I come home or move into and out of rooms of my apartment with phone, laptop, etc paired devices the speaker is randomly just turning on and speaking. Basically this is getting unpaired and put in a drawer - I have a portable JBL speaker which doesn't do this and is just fine.

Contributor
Registered since

Mar 31, 2019

A note to the recent posters who may not have completely read through the thread.

You can COMPLETELY turn off the speaker (including the low level Bluetooth signal) by holding down the multifunction key for 6-7 seconds, until all three lights on the top of the speaker blink rapidly.  Then, you will have to press the power key 2 or 3 times to turn it on, but this WILL disable the speaker automatically connecting to paired Bluetooth devices.

Participant
Registered since

May 12, 2019

Sorry but I tried that 3 times and it does not work. The 3 lights don't even blink. Am I not doing it correctly?

Thanks!

Contributor
Registered since

May 10, 2019

I also tried this and nothing happened. I should add here that I have the Soundlink Color 2, but the random turning on behavior is the same as described in this chain and I'm assuming it's the same "feature"