LittleDeuce
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 12, 2019

Re: Soundlink Revolve + Randomly Turning On

I updated the Firmware this morning and so far it's working perfectly...

tallboytodd
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Aug 20, 2019

Interesting, I updated the firmware last night on my Revolve and the issue was somehow worse.  The turning itself back on happened in a second or two rather than the 15-30 seconds it did before.  It would also cyclce through all connnections being spoken out by the speaker twice before finally being connected.  I had to remove the speaker from my Windows 10 device completely.  Simply doesn't work as it should with a computer.

KenInDenver
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 22, 2019

Switching to AUX mode seems to be the answer - my Google Dot kept turning it back on, but switching the Rev to AUX gave the disconnect sound and the Rev seems to be staying off.

(I was frustrated taking my charged Revolution down to the lake only to find I had a low battery charge.)

Thanks for sharing the solution!

KenInDenver
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 22, 2019

Well, it worked for a while, but then I watched a video on my iPad with the Rev still set in AUX mode and off, but then it woke up.  An interesting feature, but one that I wish was optional.

kylekevinriley
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 13, 2019

31 pages and still nothing from Bose. This forum really is a study in poor responsiveness and customer service. My Wife and I turn off our blue tooth devices to keep the Bose from self activating, so Iv'e learned to accept it, but I will never buy another Bose product. In fact, I can't believe Bose is even a going concern: there is a lemonade stand on my street that is better run than this company.

HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Check out the new version 3.0.4 for the Revolve and Revolve+. Maybe it helps.

There are complaints, that the audio quality is decreased after the update. A full reset seems to be the solution for some users.

HermannS

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Lolato 

Well, that means they didn't solve the problem but perhaps made some headway.  I used to have the turn on issue with my Dell Precision Win 7/64 laptop.  Since the upgrade, I have booted/turned on twice and the Revolve's stayed off.  My laptop uses the Intel BT chipset.  It may not make a difference, but you may also want to go to the vendor's driver page (not Dell's) and make sure you have the most recent updated driver.   Appears they did something but as they can't test for every PC/laptop with Win 7 and Win 10 (and the various OS updates), they still have more work to do.

jag304
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 10, 2019

@joelirwin back in May 2019 I asked in this thread if this was an intentional feature or not. @Hector_B responded:

"So if the device is randomly turning on without being told to by a paired device this is an issue that may be fixed with troubleshooting. Whereas the speaker turning on when the Paired Bluetooth device is in range with Bluetooth enabled the Revolve will wake and auto connect, this was part of the Software version 1.3.3, This feature is designed for smart devices such as Alexa that require auto on. I hope this clears things up for everyone.

I know that many users are unhappy with this feature and it has been passed onto the development team multiple times, so they are aware of this. I don't have an update or information regarding this."

According to the above, the speaker turning on automatically when a paired device is within range and has Bluetooth enabled is a deliberate feature. Not a bug. I doubt progress is being made because it's intentional.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@jag304 

Interesting comment.  So is it really 'by design' and does it turn on everything?  So I decided to do a bit of a 'stress test' because the fact that it has not turned on yet, doesn't mean I can't get it to 🙂

I started with two Revolves both paired to my phone and Dell Precision.  Turned both Revolves on and paired to both and then turned them both off.  Booted my laptop and a couple of minutes after the "Boot", Revolve 2 turned on but Revolve 1 did not.

Next I cleared the BT list from Revolve 2 and removed it from my BT devices on the laptop.  Turned off Revolve 2 (Revolve 1 is still connected to both but off).  Then powered off and rebooted the laptop.  I waited 5 minutes (much longer than the previous power on interval) and neither Revolve (Revolve 1 was paired, Revolve 2 was not) turned on.  My BLE scanner utility indicated that both Revolves continued to put out BLE signals while OFF.

And BTW - I have never experienced a power on of a Revolve in those rare circumstances where I have powered on my phone and none of my Revolves ever turned on when every paired device was already powered on.

I re-paired Revolve 2 with the iPhone and powered off the laptop without pairing and powered off Revolve 2. Powered on the laptop - neither Revolve turned on (Revolve 1 paired; Revolve 2 not).  Finally I re-paired Revolve 2 to the laptop. When I turned the laptop on, only revolve 2 came on.  I powered off Revolve 2 and powered on revolve 1 and connected.  Then I powered off both so that Revolve 1 was the last connected Revolve.  When I powered on Revolve 1 came on and not Revolve 2.

So my current conclusions are:

1. The Revolves do not power on for iPhones

2. The Revolves 'sometimes' power on for some Windows machines (Win 7 or Win 10) with 3rd party BT hardware but not all and I can not explain why some and not others

3. When a Revolve turns on, it will occur only when the laptop powers on.

4. If there is more than one Revolve and it turns on, that means it was the most recently connected Revolve to the Windows machine.

5. The recent firmware updates did not impact the above situation.

Queneau
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 3, 2018

Bose doesn't care. If you've downloaded the "upgrades," your device has been downgraded. No more power to the people, now it's power to the corps and money made on AI.

Listen to rebellious music, like this: https://youtu.be/1eM8EgAL2-c.