Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 13, 2018

Re: Bose Revolve turns itself on

I just wanted to come back to this thread and reiterate that Bose products are seriously lacking. I have bought the FreeSport, QC35 II, 2 of the Revolve Soundlink and the mini and the bluetooth issues I have had with them have been ridiculous. Bose has gotten their money from me. I am moving on to Bang & Olufsen. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 18, 2020

Re: Soundlink Revolve + Randomly Turning On

I am on the same boat as everybody. I got swayed by the shines and advertisement of the product. Now I am not saying this is a bad product, the sound is pretty good, and occasionally love to get "aww"s from friends who can't afford Bose.

But that is minimized by the fact that this speaker wakes up whenever I turn on bluetooth. It was a stupid (but marketable decision) by Bose executives to add this new shiny feature, that seems cool at the beginning, but becomes irritating after a month. 

So, whoever reading this post, go buy a different speaker that does not have this god awful feature. Thank us later.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@santanuJust a reminder you have two solutions (or you may call them 'workarounds') to the BLE facility which will turn on the Revolve for some paired devices.

1. You can pair the Revolves only to devices that don't wake it up and add a temporary pair to those that do.  So for example, I don't pair with any of my Windows machines since they will turn on the Revolve. However, I do pair with my iPhone 7+.  And I just checked with the latest iOS 14 that came out yesterday and the phone will not turn on the Revolve (so far.... 🙂 )

OR

2. Turn the Revolve totally off by holding down the multifunction key until all the lights blink.  Then nothing will turn on the Revolve.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 9, 2020

even the mod is retired (he said he will update us ) his user name is Shiloh_C

I had this issue and saw this post the last year , I was surprised Bose still did not have a solution or at least a reply .
that's bad , I respect the company quality products but I'm very disappointed by the service, I won't recommend its products for anyone for sure.

And as a result I'm not getting new Bose products , there are a lot of brands that also have a great quality if not better.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 27, 2017

Re: Bose Soundlink Revolve Speaker // Automatically turns on

Is there a third option? Remove the Bose Connect App from your phone?  If the Revolve speakers are only using BLE to connect to the app, remove the app, remove the need.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@grantls 

1. I can only talk from personal experience, but I have only seen the Revolve turn on in response to one of the paired devices turning on itself.  I have had both my Revolves paired to my iPhone 7 (now on iOS 14.0.1) and neither has ever turned on even with BLE active.  In fact, I have even turned my iPhone off and then back on with no impact on either Revolve.

2. The only time I have eve seen a Revolve turn on from the Connect app is when I swiped or otherwise tried to access the Revolve from the Connect app.  I don't believe the Bose connect app will communicate via BLE to a paired Revolve on its own.  So uninstalling the Connect app will probably not have an effect/impact on the issue of the Revolve being turned on via BLE.

The only way I know to guarantee that the Revolve does not turn on is either (1) unpair it from devices such as computers that when paired will turn on the Revolve via BLE when they turn on or (2) totally turn off the Revolve by holding down the multifunction key until all the lights blink.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 8, 2020

I can't believe Bose hasn't fixed this yet.

How can you be so ignorant to users feedback, with 36 pages of comments and request to fix this.

I think the success must have gone to the head of Bose.

Imagine a product that can't be turned off, and are awakening people at night with loud voice prompts.

I also need to use an equalizer to cut the extreme low end, which is annoying me much on podcast and classical music. Again lots of users has requested this to be remediated.

But it's just not good enough. I'm definitely not going to buy another expensive Bose product, or recommend them to anyone with this quality and service.

Sorry Bose, pull yourself together please.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@PedroPedal 

> I can't believe Bose hasn't fixed this yet.

(I don't work for Bose)  Bose is NOT going to 'fix it'.  This is a 'by design' feature introduced with BT 4 that most vendors have implemented to allow devices to be 'woken' up from another BT device.  In the case of the Revolve,  Bose uses it to allow Bose Connect to turn on the Revolve and to put two Revolves into party or stereo mode.  And as you can see, devices like laptops can turn on a paired Revolve when they turn on.

1. You can stop the turning on behavior from a paired device by unpairing it.  I can't speak for androids but I have never seen an iphone turn on a Revolve except when manually reuqested through the Bose Connect app so there is no need to ever unpair.

2. The top power button has no 'off' state - its either 'on' or in Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) state which allows it to be turned on.  If you want to make sure it never turns on and don't want to unpair from devices, then hold down the multifunction key until all the lights blink.  Then it is really off.

I have been suggesting for over two years here that Bose modify the firmware to give customers and option to define whether they want the power button to be ON/BLE, ON/BLE/OFF or ON/OFF.  There is still hope but I would say that is low probability.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 21, 2020

I bought the Bose Revolve plus the other day and have been very happy with it.

I don't know if it behaves the the same as the none plus model but for me you can choose if you want it to turn on with Bluetooth or not.

When you are connected with your device, simply turn off the Bose with the power button and then it will not turn back on with Bluetooth LE no matter how many times I turn my Bluetooth on or off.

If I want it to turn on with Bluetooth than disconnect ( turn of devices Bluetooth) before shutting off the Bose. Than the next time you turn on the Bluetooth or device it will wake up Bose.

So as long turn of the Bose first, before disconnecting device, it won't wake up with BLE.

Works for me anyway, and I love being able to have the option to turn on remotely sometimes.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 27, 2017

Re: Bose Revolve turns itself on

Thanks to everyone who has responded to this post. I thought I was going mad.

I have a pair of Revolve speakers, which when in Stereo Mode are jaw dropping awesome.  Unfortunately I think the two of them are also BLE-ing each other in the middle of the night, keeping themselves and me awake.

As Bose are not interested in doing anything about the problem I've had to come up with my own work around. 

First, I turned off Voice Prompts for both speakers in the Bose Connect app.  This still leaves voice prompts for when you really need it, like when you are putting them into stereo mode, but only gives a short beep when they start up. If I want to see how much battery is left I use the app.

Next, I press and hold the multi function button for a few seconds (until all lights flash) to switch off the speaker.  This turns the speaker OFF and will take three presses of the power button to turn the speaker back on again, but it will ensure both you and the speakers get a good nights sleep.