HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Re: Soundlink Revolve + Randomly Turning On

Dear all!

The removal of old firmware versions has been announced here (https://community.bose.com/t5/Bluetooth-Only-Speakers/Upcoming-Change-to-Bluetooth-Product-Update-Si...) about two weeks ago.

While we - the valued customers - think, that it is a good choice to provide the latest version of a firmware and through the "Advanced mode" one or two older versions, I believe, that it will be a very good choice if BOSE provides us the version prior 1.3.3 for the SoundLink Revolves as this is the only version that does not have the annoying "auto-on" error (aka "feature").

In the german and also here in the english forum it is very much a frustarting and almost arrogant opinion of BOSE stuff, that we have to suffer this crap. I feel a very high tension against BOSE from the customer's side.

For the newbies here: The current version is 1.5.0. All you read in this thread here for the last six pages about the 1.3.3 is 100% applicable to the 1.5.0 as BOSE did not change a little about this feature. Nothing! I repeat: nothing! Anyone who has updated to 1.5.0 in hope to get the auto-on optional or fixed/improved will be disappointed. There is no chance to get back to a version that does not have this included.

Be aware using the BOSE Connect App when you have the 1.2.2 on you Revolve installed. The App wil update the firmware to provide you the best experience - with the auto-on ...

HermannS

bww
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 28, 2018

Well, this is pretty annoying that the power off button no longer works.  I'm going to try to launch a support ticket with bose.  Wish me luck!

HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Hi bww,

good luck - they will tell you as a reply:

1. "Sorry, blablabla"

2. "Follow the procedure here: https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/article/enabling-low-power-mode-revolve.html"

3. "Pair your devices"

Keep in mind, that you have to jump to the step where the "Bluetooth list is cleared" or to turn off Bluetooth on all your devices, that are paired with the SoundLink.

My advise: Switch to AUX, and deactivate the voice prompts (+ and - for a few seconds). This keeps it quiet. To actively use it again, turn the device on and switch to Bluetooth mode.

Good luck!

HermannS

bww
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 28, 2018

Thanks for the response.  I forgot to specify that the BOSE device that is giving me grief is a Soundlink Micro, so AUX will not be an option.  or what it's worth, my suspicion is that the BOSE device responds differently to my windows 10 device (which always turns it on a pairs with it) than it responds to my android phone, ipad, or any other device that it has been paired with.  It has been on firmware 1.24 since purchase, and I only noticed this behavior after pairing it with my Microsoft Surface.  Regardless, I will share what I can learn.

bww
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 28, 2018

Here is the response from BOSE.  I tried their steps, and the behavior did not change - it is still powered back on and auto connected to the Surface each time it is powered off.  An I have to keep the Surface's bluetooth radio on in order to use the mouse.

Thank you for reaching out regarding your SoundLink Micro. I'm sorry to learn that speaker automatically pairs with your laptop. Let me provide a few troubleshooting steps that usually resolve the issue: 

1. Perform a product reset. A reset is used to correct occasional product issues.

To reset the speaker, follow these steps:

• Power on your speaker.
  • Press and hold the Power button for 10 seconds until the Bluetooth indicator glows blue and you hear a voice prompt to
    select a language.

2. When shutting down the speaker, the LED lights on unit will all turn off.
    3. Turn off the Bluetooth function of the laptop when shutting down. This will prevent automatic pairing of the devices when you turn them on.

If the steps do not help, we have a repair option available for you. Our technicians will replicate the issue, replace worn and broken parts and make sure it's fully functional before sending the unit back to you. On top of that, you will get a one year repair warranty on your system. Please verify if the address and contact number provided is correct when you reply to this email so I can update your profile. 

Have a great day! 

Queneau
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 3, 2018

So, a software issue regarding a "feature" that really isn't one becomes a repair for which you must send them the speaker. That seems to indicate that the speaker has a mechanical problem when that isn't the case at all and the corporate behavior is such that the burden shifts to the consumer, forcing him or her to send in the product and lose usage of it for at least a couple of weeks, only to avoid changing the software.

BOSE: just allow the user of your speaker to decide whether or not it should pair with any number of bluetooth items we may have in our homes. Pretty soon some person using a bluetooth hearing aid is going to receive a loud blast of music in the ears and you will be the target of one heck of a lawsuit. Why are you being so deaf? Oh, I know, the music already blasted into your hearing aids...

HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

The answer of the support team is exactly what I have expected. Funny, that they start with the reset and do not advise to delete the list of paired devices.

The support team proves, that they have not the knowledge we would expect of a vendor (not seller!) support.

1. They "learn". Learning is something totally new. The behaviour of the SoundLink is ongoing for the last four month!

2. They do not know about the behavior. How should they, if the do not use it (obviously). The feature is described for a multi SoundLink setup and only with the use of the BOSE Connect App. As the "feature" is working for single speakers without the use of the iOS- and Android-only App it is mistakenly not seen as the primary source of all this evil behaviour. No internal or public knowledge base article might describe this behaviour.

3. The "repair" can only work if the revert the firmware prior to version 1.3.3. As the old versions are being removed, do not expect an improved behaviour after repair.

4. They talk about "automatically pairing". This is not true and not the case. As I have found out, the SoundLink seeks for known and previously paired devices. And if it finds an already paired device, it is turning on and then connecting to the device (while drawing the attention to the SoundLink).

If you like your SoundLink: Contact BOSE as often as you can. Send them the device and return it (no "repair" can be expectedm, sorry) over and over again. In the EU you can withdraw the contract if a repair is two times not succesful! You get the money back withour the warranty time!

Or sell it on eBay. Or use the AUX mode (if applicable). Fire up the support stuff with mails. The Moderators here in this forum are ignoring us.

HermannS

Queneau
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 3, 2018

Of course they're ignoring us, this is just a way for us to speak to one another but not a way for them to respond. It's a huge, corporate facade.

I was able to revert the software back to one of the prior versions so I no longer have the problem. I will not take the time to send anything back to them or to simply become more and more frustrated with their awful behavior, it is to be expected. I have better things to do. Now I do think that the speaker is quite good but I would also not buy a Bose product again, just based on the way that they take our money and their customers for granted.

Hell has a special place for these people and let's just hope that they visit it while still living.

HotShotMedic
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

I haven't updated my Revolve + since I bought it a month ago, I'm still on firmware 1.2.?  I do not have the auto-on feature, nor do I want it.  Am I missing anything (besides use of the app) in the way of features or options?

HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Hi HotShotMedic,

to be honest: Do not touch the "Update" button in your BOSE Connect App (I recommend to remove it from your devices, otherwise you might get the update with the buggy feature) and do not use the BTU software.

You have no chance to go back to a version, that has not the buggy feature as BOSE removed the old version for "best experience with their products".

Be happy with the status quo you have. A lot of people here are frustrated as hell, as they are stuck with the auto-on-"feature".

Remember: Support tries to tell you, that the feature works with the "BOSE Connect App" and for a "companion speaker". In reality this function does not use the App (it is looking for known Bluetooth devices) and secondly "works" in single speaker environments!

All the "fixes" and "improvements" between in 1.3.3 and 1.5.0 are so small, you won't recognize any difference.

Again: DO NOT UPDATE!

HermannS