Highlighted
JimCar
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 24, 2019

Re: Soundlink Revolve auto power on

I came to this forum hoping to find a solution to this problem but instead I found over a year's worth of frustration and the occasional note from a Bose representative stating that the company is aware of the issue.  I've had my Revolve for a couple months and this auto-connect feature is my only complaint.  I've taken to removing the Bluetooth pairing on my devices whenever I'm not using the speaker but it's absurd that I have to use that workaround.  Yesterday I spoke to friends who are renovating their home.  We talked about options for their sound system.  I told them about Bose's unwillingness to address what appears to require a trivial fix and a local audio shop may just have lost a sale because of it.

I've used Sonos devices in the past and can state they also have an engineering department that is occasionally deaf to their customer's complaints....guess I'll keep looking.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@JimCarThe Revolve has two power states supposedly.  One which is the standard on/off switch - in that state the BT Low Energy (BLE) signal remains on and the unit may/will power on when another device (like a laptop powering on) asks it to.  There is a second state where the revolve is totally off.  To do this (and it may not work for everyone) from the "ON" state, you keep your finger down on the multifunction key 7 to 10 seconds until all the lights flash and then go out.  Using the free "BLE Scanner" app I obtained from the Apple store, I can verify for my revolve, there is no BLE signal when the unit is turned off this way.  Note - that while you are holding down the multifunction button, it may also invoke something on your connected devices like Siri.  Also it is a one time thing - so you have to turn off your Revolve that way every time.  It would be 'nice' if Bose changed it's firmware to allow you to specify which of the two above 'states' are invoked when you hit the on/off switch, but I would not hold my breath 🙂

Does that work for you?

n16annie
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 19, 2019

Thanks for posting this. While it did connect with Cortana on my Surface, and the lights don't stop flashing (I just stopped presssing multifunction after a while) this does seem to work. The bluetooth light is off and there is blessed silence. This has driven me mad  and last night as it turned on in a quiet passage in a film at 2.00am, nearly frightened me to death.

So this experience and Bose's total failure to properly address it or resolve it (hint to Bose - don't special plead that you monitor these pages and then ignore us) has ensured I will never buy Bose again, what a brand fail they've turned out to be. 

n16annie
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 19, 2019

Just in case, like me, you have arrived here seeking a solution for this problem, go to the post on page 8 (currently July 2019 the final post) which will give you an answer

HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Hi folks!

To round this up: Forget it! Simply get rid of your SoundLink. This is very sad, but honest advice.

Bose updated the Firmware after release on a 2-3 months basis. And since May 2018 the development seems to be dead. I guess, that the engineer have been moven to other products and noone cares about the SoundLink products anymore.

Funny fact is, that even the moderators don't think that this "feature" is bad or baldy implemented. Bose believes it is great. And in fact it is great that you come home or turn on your bluetooth signal on your smartphone and the SoundLink powers up. You do have only one smartphone you listen music from. No secondary devices (no friends, notebooks, music player etc.) - only a single device. And you only use this device for only one paired device. Right? If this is the case (like the Moderators suppose it is), then this is awesome. You don't have to move your body. Single turn on Bluetooth on your device and the party can start! Personally, I like to touch a button to turn it on.

In most cases we - the customers - have multiple devices connected to the SoundLink and have multi devices connected to our smartphone. Welcome to the year 2019, Bose!

A quick hint for new customers: Return the SoundLink immediately to your reseller. Or sell it. You will not have fun with the "current" firmware. As long as Bose does not provide older versions again ("we don't offer this any more for better support to our customers"), get rid of the devices!

If you are stuck on the "new" version. Turn off the annoying voice prompts by pressing "+" and "-" simultaneously, this makes it shut up.

And if you want to keep it because of the great sound, then unpair all devices (delete the pairing list from the SoundLink) and buy an used smartphone or bluetooth-player and pair this device as a single device to the SoundLink. Multiple devices will end up in mess.

Remove the Bose Connect App from your Android or iPhone. This App might alter settings or push the crappy firmware onto your working SoundLink.

For the Moderator: Don't post any advice or anything like "we will ask management", "we have nothing new to share" or stuff like this. Give us the old firmware or update the crappy one. Anything else is a waste of time.

Good luck!

HermannS

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@HermannS 

i am a customer, i do not work for Bose, NOR am I here to defend Bose.  In fact, I have been quite outspoken in this forum over the last year posting many times that Bose should have implemented a three toggle for on/off or given us an option to designate whether we wanted off to be totally off or to put the Revolve into Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) state to respond to certain external power on commands.  And btw, I own two Revolves.both of which are connected to my iPhone and neither of them ever turn on by themselves.  When I pair my Revolves with my Dell Precision M4800 laptop (Win 7/64), the Revolve will only power on by itself when the laptop powers on.

>And if you want to keep it because of the great sound, then unpair all devices (delete the pairing list from the SoundLink) and buy an used smartphone or bluetooth-player and pair this device as a single device to the SoundLink. Multiple devices will

>end up in mess.

I don't like the way Bose implemented a real-off but it has one - you hold down the multifunction (bottom) button until all the lights blink.  Now it is totally off and will not be in BLE mode.  You have to tap and hold down the power button to get it back on and you have to do that every time.  I don't like it but I have measured BLE with a free app on my iPhone and this really does turn it permanently off - no BLE signal.  As far as your final comment - I use my Revolves connected / paired to multiple devices and the only power issue I have is when the laptop reboots/powers on.

I do have another 'gripe' with Bose but not about Revolve power but my ability to use my two Revolve's reliably in party or stereo mode on my windows laptop (where I can't use the Bose Connect app).  It doesn't always work according to the described process and these are business devices and so I don't want to putz around with them when I am about to do a demo.  So I put them both into AUX mode and wire them through a stereo 'splitter' connected to my laptop.

> Remove the Bose Connect App from your Android or iPhone. This App might alter settings or push the crappy firmware onto your working SoundLink.
My understanding is the automated installation process only happens for Android phones.  Once an installation is downloaded for an iPhone, you are manually asked by the app if you want to update or not.  And even for Androids - you get a significant amount of time before an installation download completes and you can also use the app without a wifi/internet connection to stop the download.  I would hesitate removing the connect app - it provides functionality that is otherwise not available anywhere else.

>For the Moderator: Don't post any advice or anything like "we will ask management", "we have nothing new to share" or stuff like this. Give us the old firmware or update the crappy one. Anything else is a waste of time.
I don't like the moderator templates either.  As I don't work for Bose I can't say whether they are planning an update to the firmware or when that would occur but I have read multiple times in this and the headphones forum that Bose has stated it discontinued update regression last year and have no plans to provide any update process other than to the next firmware release.  Once you upgrade there is no going back.  That appears to be a corporate decision well outside the scope of the moderators/administrators of this forum.

Absolutely livid
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 4, 2019

[Moderated] I was in a noisy environment and needed to get headphones on ASAP. With him talking on the phone I quickly turned on my Bluetooth to connect my headphones. This utterly ridiculous mandatory feature caused my soundlink to turn on in my suitcase in ANOTHER ROOM. I was then pannickedly running around trying to find it to turn it off so I could pull my audio back under control.

You just caused extreme emotional stress for forcing this feature upon me, and I have a burning hatred for this device. Why in hell would you make this feature mandatory?! Fix this. Now. [Moderated] Utterly disgraceful. 

HermannS
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Feb 16, 2018

Hi,

BOSE released for the Revolve and Revolve+ a new version on August 21st 2019. The other SoundLinks might follow.

https://community.bose.com/t5/Portable/SoundLink-Revolve-Revolve-Firmware-Update-August-21-2019/m-p/...

Has someone tried it, yet? Are the problems resolved?

As I am using the 1.2.2 without the annoying bug and there is no downgrade to that version possible, I'm not the canary.

HermannS

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@HermannS 

I upgraded both my Revolves a few days ago to 3.0.4.  I used to have the situation where due to the Revolve's implementation of BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy), whenever I turned on my Dell laptop, any of my paired Revolve's would also turn on.  This was a frequent 'complaint' here over the last year.  I have now booted my laptop twice and neither of my Revolve's turn on.  I have also checked both Revolves' with my iPhone BLE scanner utility and they both continue to emit a BLE signal when turned off.

At least in my case with my Dell (may not be true for all BT desktop/laptop implementations), I believe Bose has (quietly) solved that problem.

Not applicable
Registered since

Sep 19, 2019

I used to have the same issue with my Revolve Soundlink and soundlink micro. After updating my revolve to software 3.0.4, that seems to be working fine. However, soundlink micro still auto-connects whenever there is a device in range.