Tatman62
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 21, 2019

Soundlink revolve volume controls not working when using bluetooth source

Soundlink volume controls not working when using Bluetooth source. It just happened a few days ago where I connect the speaker to my tablet, and when I turn the volume up on speaker through the tablet it shows the Bose speaker volume going up, but nothing happens. I go over to the speaker itself and turn the volume up with no issues. Tried it from my laptop and the same thing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Soundlink revolve volume controls not working when using bluetooth source

Author Accepted Answer selected by Tatman62

Hello Tatman62, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having some problems with your SoundLink Revolve speaker. 

It is essential that your device has a Bluetooth volume control (AVRCP). Which device are you using? Do you have another device to test this with?

If your device does have AVRCP, I would recommend power cycling the device as well as resetting the SoundLink Revolve. This can be done by following these steps:

1. Disconnect the power cord
  2. Power on your product using battery power
  3. Press and hold the Multi-function (•○•) button for 10 seconds until the product lights glow.

Another suggestion would be to check for and install any available firmware updates for your speaker. To do this, visit btu.bose.com on your computer and follow the instructions. 

Should you still have problems with this, get back to me and I will be more than happy to assist further.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

6 REPLIES 6
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Tatman62 

I have two Revolves and just tried two different apps on my iPhone 7+.  On my xfinity video watching app which doesn't have its own volume controls I controlled the volume with no problem from the iphone's volume switches and also from the Revolve's + and -.  I then tried my music player, ecoute which has it's own volume switches which also worked fine from the app and the Revolve's vol switches.

So it is something specific to your Revolve.  So I would start with a total reinitialization of the Revolve (holding down the volume key) and remove all the pairing to it and start fresh and see if that makes a difference.  Bose will eventually check in here and suggest the same starting point, I suspect.

Author Accepted Answer selected by Tatman62

Hello Tatman62, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having some problems with your SoundLink Revolve speaker. 

It is essential that your device has a Bluetooth volume control (AVRCP). Which device are you using? Do you have another device to test this with?

If your device does have AVRCP, I would recommend power cycling the device as well as resetting the SoundLink Revolve. This can be done by following these steps:

1. Disconnect the power cord
  2. Power on your product using battery power
  3. Press and hold the Multi-function (•○•) button for 10 seconds until the product lights glow.

Another suggestion would be to check for and install any available firmware updates for your speaker. To do this, visit btu.bose.com on your computer and follow the instructions. 

Should you still have problems with this, get back to me and I will be more than happy to assist further.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

BoseUser99
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

I've read all the threads about this and it seems there is no solution. Bose discounts it as a problem and has done nothing about it other than saying a unit is out of warranty and will charge you $86 to fix it.  If they haven't said anything in the forums, how am I to know they can fix it. 

Updating firmware, resetting all have not changed the unit.

The controls work when the speaker is hardwired with a cable.

Maybe there was an invisible line in the manual we all missed that says the on speaker volume controls do not work when it is connected via bluetooth.   hmm, but it did when I bought it.

horizons1
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 21, 2019

This is definitely related to the firmware updates. I had this happen twice. The first time it was replaced and the replacement worked fine until I updated the firmware.

Michael Bait
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 26, 2019

I am having the same problem. The volume buttons worked fine until the firmware update. Now, they only work when I am connecting the speaker to the laptop as aux. I've tried the standard "press the multifunction button and power button for 10 seconds" solutions to no avail. Is this the only solution Bose has to solve the issue? The Onion should write an article about how Bose solved world hunger by "pressing on the multifunction button for 10 seconds."

I've had nothing but frustration with Bose Revolve Plus. The firmware updates keep on ruining the product. I hope the company will either fix the problem in the next update or give us the option to revert to the previous firmware. Please, give consumers choice.

Hello Michael Bait, 

Thank you for reaching out via the Bose Community. 

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your SoundLink Revolve's Volume Controls. 

Have you tried pairing the speaker to any other devices to see if the issue persists? I also personally own the Soundlink Revolve and have no issues adjusting the volume on the speaker using the onboard controls. With Windows, however, I have noticed the following things: 

- Volume controls on the speaker work only when audio is playing. 

- The Volume controls are dependant on the source application. I had success adjusting the volume when music was played on Spotify, Google Chrome, Groove Music (Windows' relatively new audio service).

- The Volume controls do not work on some applications. In my testing Windows Media Player was not supported. Therefore, it is likely Windows 10 has AVRCP commands assigned to individual applications. This was further confirmed when I tested the multi-function button with WMP and noticed the play/pause also didn't function, whereas with Groove Music it worked absolutely fine. This will be a limitation of the software, not the Bose hardware. 

Moving forward, I would recommend checking the volume controls with different music services and applications to see if you have any luck controlling play/pause, and volume. If you are unable to do this, then I would recommend looking into a Bluetooth USB dongle that supports A2DP, AVRCP, HSP, and HFP Bluetooth profiles. 

I hope this helps! 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G