Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 4, 2020

Speaker incompatible with macOS Catalina

I have two Bose speakers, the mini SoundLink I and the SoundLink Revolve.  Neither speaker is working with my Mac now that I have upgraded to Catalina.  I can see on other forums that several people are having the same problem and we cannot fix it. The problem is that the speaker disconnects from bluetooth.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: Speaker incompatible with macOS Catalina

Hi BMC007,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble connecting via Bluetooth from Catalina and I would be happy to help with this.

When you experience the Bluetooth disconnecting, does there appear to be any pattern to when this happens? Is it always after a certain amount of time, tied to a certain app or does it appear random?

Also, are we having any similar disconnection issues with other devices? Or just the Mac?

What I would recommend we do to start with, is clear the Bluetooth pairing from both the speakers and the Mac. To do this on the speakers, we need to press and hold the Bluetooth button for 10 seconds, until you hear a tone. We would also want to remove the speakers from the Bluetooth settings on the Mac as well.

After clearing the connection, we want to reconnect the speakers and test them again.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 4, 2020

Thank you for the response, Keith. 

the following occurs for both Mini SoundLink II and SoundLink Revolve:

When I start playing iTunes, the speaker appears to be connected to Bluetooth but suddenly becomes disconnected.  I have to manually connect it (remove it from Bluetooth and wait until it is discovered again, then click connect). It will play for a short while and then disconnect again.  There is no pattern to when it will disconnect again - it could play for just a few minutes or for a longer period.

I have tried clearing the Bluetooth pairing on both speakers as you suggested.  It has not fixed the problem.

Also, this only happens on the mac.  It does not occur if I use the speaker with my iPhone.  It only began to happen after the upgrade to Catalina.

Thank you so much for the response. Any additional help would be very much appreciated.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 4, 2020

Sorry - I meant to say "Mini SoundLink I" in my previous response, not SoundLink II.

Highlighted

Hello BMC007,

Thanks for getting back to us with this detailed information. 

Could you please reset your Mac's Bluetooth module by following these steps: hold option + shift and click the Bluetooth menu, go to debug > reset Bluetooth module.

I'd also recommend resetting the speaker. On the top of the speaker, press and hold the Mute button for 10 seconds. The product lights flash, then turn off once reset.

Please let me know if this improves the stability of the connection.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 4, 2020

It seemed like it might work.  The SoundLink Mini now plays continuously without shutting off. However, it does not stay connected to bluetooth.  When I start iTunes and turn on the speaker I have to re-connect the speaker to bluetooth - same problem I've been having all along. The Apple Community is posting as well about this problem. No solution. It appears to have started with the update to Catalina.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 13, 2020

Hallo!  I have got exactly the same connection problems with the Bluetooth Soundlink Revolve after I upgraded to Mac OS Catalina two months ago. Obviously I am not alone and its really a very unsatisfying situtation!

The problem seems to be known more than half a year now, did Bose provide a solution meanwhile?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 16, 2020

SOLVED - Speaker incompatible with macOS Catalina

I had the same problem on my MacBook Pro with Mac OS Catalina. I solved the problem connecting the speakers with the USB cable to my Mac. Leaving the bluetooth activated the Mac recognized the Bose Mini II SoundLink!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 19, 2020

Checking in several months after OP. I have the same problem.

Attempting to connect my Revolve+ to my new Mac Mini, which runs Catalina (10.15.6 with all updates). This unit connected flawlessly to my prior Mini (running Mojave), to my MacBook Pro (Mojave) and my iPhone (iOS 13.5.whatever).

It connects to my Mini for up to 5 seconds or so, then disconnects. I have reset the Bluetooth module as earlier suggested.

Is there any fix for this? It's been awhile since Catalina was released. Thanks.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 25, 2020

Hello, the Shift+Option Click on Bluetooth then RESET the Bluetooth Module solved it. My setup::

Bose SLIII + MacOS Catalina on Macbook Pro 15" 2018.

Hope this helps somebody 🙂