Kirbster6413
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 1, 2019

Stopped working

My SoundLink color just stopped working! I've tried everything I found on YouTube and the bose site and nothing worked.

Any suggestions at all? The speaker is about four years old and has always worked just fine until it just stopped.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Stopped working

Hello Kirbster6413, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums 

I am sorry to hear that you are having some troubles with your SoundLink Color and would love to help you to resolve them. 

Let's get started by ensuring we are on the same page when it comes to troubleshooting steps you have tried. I have the following steps from the Bose website: 

• Make sure your system is connected to a working AC (mains) plug socket.
  • Make sure you are using the Bose power supply cable that was provided with your speaker. While the speaker can be physically connected to other USB power chargers, the Bose power supply is recommended for best results.
  • If you are using a surge protector, try plugging directly into a working plug socket.
  • Make sure both ends of the power supply cable are firmly connected.
  • The battery may not be sufficiently charged. The battery must have some charge in order for it to power up the system.

If these are the steps you have tried, I would like to suggest a few more that may be able to assist you: 

• Check if the connected power outlet is working. When connected to power, your product plays a tone. If you plugin but don't hear a tone, try plugging in another device (i.e. a lamp) to the same power outlet to confirm the outlet works.
  • Be sure the proper Bose power supply is being used. The connected power supply should have a Bose logo on the label or the casing. A power supply from another manufacturer is not recommended. If there is any question as to whether the Bose-branded power supply is for this product or not, be sure the output specifications indicated on the power supply match the Power Requirement Specifications of the component.
  • Be sure not to hold the power button while turning the product on and off. To turn on/off your product, quickly press and release the Power button. Don't hold the power button as this will check the battery charge level instead.

Should you have ensured all of the above and still experience issues, many users have seen success when putting the product into ship mode and then starting the speaker as if it were a new purchase. To do this we can: 

Put the speaker into Ship mode:

1. Connect your product to a charger.
  2. On the top of your product, press and hold the Play/Pause button for at least 15 seconds.
  3. While continuing to hold the Play/Pause button, unplug the charger.
  4. Release the Play/Pause button.

After we have done this we want to go ahead and let the speaker charge for at least an hour, longer if possible. Once this has been completed we are going to want to plug the speaker into power and awaken it. After that, we want to go to btu.bose.com on a computer and follow the instructions on the screen to update the speaker.

If any other community users have found a workaround, we would love for your input. 

I look forward to hearing how you get on. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support

Kirbster6413
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 1, 2019

In your reply, you say, p"unit into a wall socket, push down the pause/ play buttons for 15 seconds then keep holding down the buttons and unplug the unit. Then, you say, "let the unit charge for 1 hour, but you don't say plug unit back in." 

If you are letting it charge, you must plug it back in to the wall socket, right???

Anyway, nothing has worked so far and one day, it just stopped working, out of the blue. VERY FRUSTRATED!!!

Hello Kirbster6413,

Thanks for reaching back out.

I am so sorry for any confusion caused. Yes, you will need to plug the speaker back in to charge it, just when doing so please don't try and power it on for an hour. As you have tried all troubleshooting steps, the best option here would be to reach out to your local customer support center and explore the service options for your headset. You can do this by clicking this link here selecting your region, scrolling to the bottom of the page, and selecting contact us. If you are in the US or UK you can also reach out via Facebook or Twitter and one of our team can help you there. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W