Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Louis W
Participant
Registered since

Jan 30, 2020

Stopping my Soundlink Mini from turning off

I'm using my Soundlink Mini as my computer speaker for my iMac desktop computer. But it keeps turning itself off.  It there a way to deactivate this turn off function. I always have it plugged into the power charger anyway.  

Thanks,  Louis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Keith_L
Community Manager

Re: Stopping my Soundlink Mini from turning off

Author Accepted Answer selected by Louis W

Hi Louis W,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I would be happy to help with this.

Just to clarify do you have the SoundLink Mini or the SoundLink Mini II? If you are unsure, the best way to tell is the SoundLink Mini II uses a USB charging cable, whereas the original SoundLink Mini uses a circular connection for the charging cable.

Both models of the SoundLink Mini have an auto-off feature, where they will turn off after 20-30 minutes of inactivity. It is possible to turn this off on the SoundLink Mini II only. To do this what you would need to do is press and hold the Bluetooth and Volume + buttons at the same time, until a notification is heard.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Keith L - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Keith_L
Community Manager

Author Accepted Answer selected by Louis W

Hi Louis W,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I would be happy to help with this.

Just to clarify do you have the SoundLink Mini or the SoundLink Mini II? If you are unsure, the best way to tell is the SoundLink Mini II uses a USB charging cable, whereas the original SoundLink Mini uses a circular connection for the charging cable.

Both models of the SoundLink Mini have an auto-off feature, where they will turn off after 20-30 minutes of inactivity. It is possible to turn this off on the SoundLink Mini II only. To do this what you would need to do is press and hold the Bluetooth and Volume + buttons at the same time, until a notification is heard.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Keith L - Community Support

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.

View solution in original post

Louis W
Participant
Registered since

Jan 30, 2020

I have the first gen Soundlink mini and not the II.  So I guess I'll have to trash this speaker as my desktop computer speaker.  Why would Bose not let the user turn this off when it's connected to 110 power?  Well I guess you got so many complaints you did do that for the Soundlink Mini II!   

Thanks for your fast reply, I do appreciate you getting back to me so quickly, even if it's only bad news.

Regards,  Louis

Tbickle
Participant
Registered since

Apr 9, 2020

Hello,

I am also having this issue. I have a Soundlink Mini (not II), and the speaker turns itself off at seemingly random time intervals. I also have it powered by AC (barrel plug), so it shouldn't be depending on the battery.

It isn't predictable enough to say it's every 30 minutes, so I'm not sure if this is the problem.

I have noticed the battery status LED switch between green to yellow, so it seems to indicate the system is dependent on the battery. Perhaps this might have something to do with the random power off?

When I turn the power back on, it doesn't work. So I have to power off and on once more. Then, I need to turn the volume all the way back on because the level from previous isn't saved. It's like the speaker is crashing.

Is the battery being used even if plugged in? What would happen if it were removed and only AC power were used?

Thanks,
Matt

Vicky_W

Hey Tbickle, 

Welcome to the forums! 

I would not recommend removing the battery as this may damage the speaker. Can I please confirm if you are using a charging cradle at all? If so, please can we try bypassing this and see if this still happens? If not, please can you confirm if this happens when the speaker is plugged in to charge and playing? 

Thanks!

Tbickle
Participant
Registered since

Apr 9, 2020

Hi Vicky,

This problem happens BOTH when charging via cradle or plugged directing to the wall charger.

For 2-3 years I exclusively used the charging cradle with no problems. When this issue started happening, the same thought occurred to me that the cradle might not be helping matters and opted to plug it directly into the wall AC/DC converter power (barrel plug). Unfortunately, the same results were achieved and this problem was not resolved.

I'm wondering if this is a firmware/software issue. Since this problem was not present in my initial years with this product, I'm wondering if a failing battery, coupled with firmware/software that doesn't handle a dying battery gracefully, is what's happening? Is there a way to update the firmware/software on this unit?

Thanks,
Matt

Sam_F

Hey Matt,

I regret to inform you that there are not any firmware/software updates that can be pushed to the speaker.

From what you've explained, this behavior is quite odd and leads me to believe there's like an underlying issue with the battery. As this is the case, I'd recommend contacting local support to discuss the service option available to fix this and have your system working just as it was before!

To get in touch with the team, go to Global Contact Us > Select your country > Scroll to the bottom of the page > Click 'Contact Us'. If you run into any issues finding the information, or have any further questions - please let me know.

Carla Maltese
Participant
Registered since

Dec 23, 2020

Solved: the Bose Sounding Mini 1 is one of the best portable Bluetooth speakers I have had. The problem with Bluetooth cutting out drove me crazy for over 6 months until I worked out that the round socket where the battery charger plugs in, over time gets dirty contacts and causes high resistance.

There is a simple switch that closes when you unplug the charger and these contacts get dirty and simulate flat battery drop out.

A light spray of WD 40 or CRC and then pushing the plug in and out a good 20 or so times solved the problem for me.

rboutcher
Participant
Registered since

Jan 9, 2021

Every time I am listening to my Bose SoundLink Mini (one) it will simply shut off and I have to turn it back on and reconnect it to whatever Bluetooth device I have it connected to.  I have tried resetting it a few times.  Any ideas?

JB9080
Participant
Registered since

Jan 19, 2021

I am having the exact same problem with my Soundlink Mini 1. Power goes off at random when plugged in but works fine when not charging. Very frustrating to have to reset it and turn up the volume again multiple times every day. 

As per the Bose recommendation to get in touch with the team, this item is not supported other than via phone with Bose. I spent half an hour speaking with an agent and there was no solution. Please advise on how I can have this unit repaired.