Highlighted
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Mar 23, 2020

Want to use USB audio but DONT WANT to update Firmware - Bose Revolve Plus

After reading all the audio issues found by several users after updating the speaker firmware (software), I definitively don´t want to update the firmware on my Bose Revolve Plus speaker. 

On the other hand I find very easy to connect my speaker to my PC using USB port for audio play, my question is:

By Connecting the Speaker to the computer for playing audio purposes using USB cable, my speaker will update its firmware / software automatically?

My computer has no Bose apps, or programs installed. Looks like for playing audio the computer just installed a kind of driver to send audio over the USB port to the Speaker. 

Hope somebody can help me with this question. 

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: Want to use USB audio but DONT WANT to update Firmware - Bose Revolve Plus

@FitI don't work for Bose but this is my take and if I am incorrect someone else or Bose can correct me.

1. If you use the Revolve connected to a source by wire, you Revolve is in AUX mode.  As far as I know it is in dumb/passive mode and can not/does not have the ability to communicate any more than any other passive speaker.

2. To update your speaker's firmware, you need to either be using the Bose connect app or the web browser app.  Both require an Internet connection.  So if you are no running either of those two - the browser or the connect app, you can't get your firmware updated even if you are Internet connected.

Highlighted
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Mar 23, 2020

Re: Want to use USB audio but DONT WANT to update Firmware - Bose Revolve Plus

Many Thanks! 

That was my first guess, but wanted to post my question here to be 100% sure, I´m kind of "scared" with everything I found related with the Revolve + firmware update, I really love the sound of this bad boy and don´t want to ruin it.