Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
individual343
Participant
Registered since

Jul 18, 2021

bose portable home speaker keeps cutting out

This topic has appeared here before and I have tried all the recommendations around reseting the speaker. I am convinced this speaker is meant to only reliable work with wifi. Can someone from Bose confirm this. I use this speaker in my home with no issue but also like to use it in my car. While there are issues periodically at home with the speaker turning off, they pale in comparison to the constant cutting off/disconnecting (I am not even sure if there is a  manufactured distinction between the two). In the car it varies from occurring after 3 seconds to after 30 minutes of playing music (with full battery). The speaker is all but unusable in the car. The only reason I paid the +$300 for this speaker is the issues that plague bluetooth speakers in general led me to believe this would not be an issue with Bose especially considering the price tag. This is my 3rd bluetooth speaker brand attempt and have yet to find one that works beyond the 6 month mark.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sam_F

Re: bose portable home speaker keeps cutting out

Author Accepted Answer selected by individual343

Hi individual343,

Thank you for the full explanation of the behavior you're noticing from your Portable Home Speaker. To clarify, a red LED glowing on the top and bottom of the light ring is indicating a hardware error. Usually, we recommend attempting a reset to resolve this, by pressing and holding the play/pause button for ten seconds. The light ring will display pulsing white light on top and bottom as the speaker reboots and connects to a Wi-Fi network.

If you find the reset is not helping, the best thing to do is to contact support so we can have this resolved for you. If you're within the 12-month manufacturer warranty period from the date of purchase, the service options will come without a charge, so be sure to reach out as soon as possible. To do this, go to Global Contact Page > Select your country > Scroll to the bottom of the page > Click 'Contact Us'. Do let us know if you have any questions or queries we can help with!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Vicky_W

Hello

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues pairing your phone to your Portable Home Speaker via Bluetooth. We have a thread here with some great troubleshooting on this thread here that should help. If the issue persists, please can you confirm the following:

1. Is it just in the car you have Bluetooth issues or whilst stationary as well?
  2. What device are you pairing with your speaker? Does this happen with a different Bluetooth device?
  3. Just to confirm, audio over WiFi works fine?
  4. Is this issue with all audio courses e.g. Spotify, Apple Music etc or just a specific one?

I look forward to your reply and to getting this resolved with you. 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
individual343
Participant
Registered since

Jul 18, 2021

1. The issues are only in the car primarily. 

2. I am pairing with an iPhone X. 

3. Audio over WiFi which is what I use at home works fine. 

4. I only use Apple Music so can not answer for other music applications. I can try Spotify. 

individual343
Participant
Registered since

Jul 18, 2021

Was able to confirm the condition still exist when I used Spotify today. 

Tegan_M

Thank you very much for confirming this information for us.

When you use Bluetooth with your product at home, does this have the same response in cutting out? This way we can see whether the inconsistent audio is isolated to your car.

If this works fine at home, it is likely that there is a source of interference in your car which is causing these dropouts. 

Do let us know how you get on.

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
individual343
Participant
Registered since

Jul 18, 2021

The device works fine at home. However, speaking of possible interference in my car. It is a 2001 Hyundai. Other than a radio which is never used, I'm having a hard time imagining electrical interference from this vehicle due to the lack of power options on it.

Liam_G

Thank you for clarifying, I am glad to hear that the speaker works perfectly at home. 

As the speaker works as intended at home, this very much points to the source of interference being located within your car.
I understand that it may seem unusual but all cars emit some level of EMF from the electronic parts and devices, some more and some less.

EMF (Electric and Magnetic Fields) can play interference with the performance and connectivity of a wireless speaker.

I hope this clears up any confusion. 

individual343
Participant
Registered since

Jul 18, 2021

That would be a reasonable explanation had I not been using this same speaker in the same vehicle since December with no issue until recently. Also I am now seeing this issue reproducible at home. One detail I forgot to mention is this speaker also has some weird issue when charging. Charging from the vehicle has been hit or miss since purchase. The speaker complains of the correct charger not being compatible. This happened about 80 percent of the time in the vehicle and about 20% at home. Most times disconnecting and reconnecting the power source works as the speaker will eventually charge. Since I began having issues with this speaker about three weeks ago, I will notice the rings of light on the top will turn red for whatever reason. I'll go through a series of resetting steps to get it to go away or either try reseting the power source. As I am typing this, I am in the home with my normal WiFi and the speaker just cut out. Decided to try connecting the power source even though I knew it could not be dead. Doing that immediately generated the red non pulsating rings on top. In this state the device will not do anything. Unplugging the power source makes the lights go away but now the power light blinks red. I am certain the speaker battery is not dead as I have faced this issue in the car and when I am finally able to revive it, the battery is never less than 70%. This is the same power source that came with the speaker. 

individual343
Participant
Registered since

Jul 18, 2021

I think the speaker is completely gone now as I can not get past the red ring. Resetting makes it go away for a second but immediately returns. Reseting to factory default settings (Bluetooth and +Volume ) is not working now either.

Sam_F

Author Accepted Answer selected by individual343

Hi individual343,

Thank you for the full explanation of the behavior you're noticing from your Portable Home Speaker. To clarify, a red LED glowing on the top and bottom of the light ring is indicating a hardware error. Usually, we recommend attempting a reset to resolve this, by pressing and holding the play/pause button for ten seconds. The light ring will display pulsing white light on top and bottom as the speaker reboots and connects to a Wi-Fi network.

If you find the reset is not helping, the best thing to do is to contact support so we can have this resolved for you. If you're within the 12-month manufacturer warranty period from the date of purchase, the service options will come without a charge, so be sure to reach out as soon as possible. To do this, go to Global Contact Page > Select your country > Scroll to the bottom of the page > Click 'Contact Us'. Do let us know if you have any questions or queries we can help with!

View solution in original post