Participant
Registered since

Feb 9, 2020

can bose portable home speaker answer phone call?

i have portable home speaker, is it possible to connect bluetooth and make it the speaker as speakerphone??

14 REPLIES 14

Re: can bose portable home speaker answer phone call?

Hello, 

Thanks for reaching out with your question. 

It is not possible to use your Portable Home Speaker as a speakerphone as this is only used for the Voice Assistant features and do not hold the appropriate Bluetooth profiles to be used in telephone calls. 

If you have any further questions do let us know. 

Kind regards,

Tegan M- Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Participant
Registered since

May 12, 2020

Is there the capability from a hardware point of view that an upgrade could be pushed out to allow phone calls in the future? The lack of this feature is what is holding back this product for me, and its a shame as I may have to look somewhere else than Bose to get it.

Thanks

Contributor
Registered since

Apr 20, 2020

what bluetooth profiles are supported on the smart portable home speaker and the smart soundbar 500; only AD2P?

are there any plans to enable Hands-Free Profile (HFP) or Headset Profile (HSP) for use with calls for at least the portable home speaker? Is this possible via a software upgrade? I would like to understand why not, since it is clearly a microphone enabled device?

I am 100% deaf in one ear and this is a must have feature for me, especially after spending over a thousand dollars on the system. I'd hate to have to have return the devices.

thanks!

Hi @shrugs20,

Thanks for your questions. The Portable Home Speaker supports the following Bluetooth profiles: A2DP, AVRCP, BLE. 

HFP and HSP are not supported and there is no information regarding further support for these on this device.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Participant
Registered since

Jun 12, 2020

Bose doesn’t have Bluetooth calling profiles this is simply not acceptable for a premium product costing $500 dollars. I just upgraded from an earlier bose portable Bluetooth speaker which had this feature, to not have it on the newest flagship portable speaker is simply backwards. I will be returning this product and looking for something else. 
Bose lift your game instead of taking shortcuts!!

Participant
Registered since

Jun 13, 2020

I echo Jimmyaus's thoughts.

It is absolutely ridiculous that in 2020, the top-of-the-range portable speaker from the world's foremost manufacturer of portable speakers cannot answer calls (nor can two units be paired in stereo, AFAIK), despite the unit employing both WiFi and bluetooth. Two sales lost. Returning.

Are Bose are deliberately handicapping technology?

Contributor
Registered since

Apr 20, 2020

my educated guess is that when these smart speakers are grouped, some "delay" (latency) is added/required to synchronize the sound; at least that's what appears to happen if you ever try to, say, use airplay for the sound while doing a zoom call (the audio is delayed significantly). that delay can't exist (at least not be as large) if both the mic and speaker were used for a phone call. the delay seems to be significantly less but still noticeable when bluetooth is used for one way sound.

however, that doesn't explain why standalone neither the bose 500 or nor the portable smart speaker wouldn't be able to support these additional bluetooth profiles (and then maybe say it not supported when grouped)?

Bose, the longer i have this system, the more disappointing this lack of a feature is, especially, as I mentioned, before since I am hearing disabled.

Please suggest/recommend a resolution for me to be able to use both the bose smart speaker system and be able to make and receive phone calls with the speakers? Otherwise, please point to where this limitation is documented clearly for this smart speaker system? Is the only option to buy yet another speaker that is incompatible with the smart speaker system? Clearly, I too, echo the thoughts of the others on this thread. Very disappointing and it seems Bose can do much better.

Participant
Registered since

Oct 13, 2020

I had no idea that I would not be able to use a $350 (!) "smart" speaker to make phone calls as I've been able to do with my 4 year old Jambox until I tried it today. I want Bose to know that I'm returning this product specifically for this reason. What an overpriced disappointment.

Participant
Registered since

Jun 27, 2020

Bose Portable Home Speaker Phone Calls

Hello everyone,

I purchased the Bose Portable Home Speaker very recently. I previously had the Bose Revolve+ which I loved. Question is why can’t I make phone calls with the new speaker? Does it have the capability to make phone calls? I find it very odd that it is not able to.