Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 15, 2020

soundlink revolve stand-by status

hello.

even i switched off the speaker it is going to stand-by mode and decreasing the battery. The charge is finishing without using it as it keeps on stand-by mode.  It is useless for portable speaker as it doesn't have battery whenever i want to take it out. Please advise how to close it's stand-by mode.  when i switched off it shall be closed to save the battery.

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: soundlink revolve stand-by status

@albayram 

As you know / can see - off is not off.  It put the unit into standby BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) mode so that other entities can still communicate with it.  For example the Bose Connect app can be used to turn it on.

So to totally turn it off - hold down the bottom multifunction key until all the lights blink and then let go.  To turn it on then you may have to tap the top on button a couple of times.

If the charge still goes down even when totally off, then the battery is not holding a charge anymore and needs to go into Bose for repair.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 15, 2020

@joelirwin 

hello. as you mentioned in the response battery drain problem still occured even it is completely turned off.  I left the product to the service center two times and they mentioned that BOSE USA  confirmed that this is a general case for soundlink revole and plus models and batery is draining even if the product is completely turned off. 

Sorry to say but this is the most useless product i have and i was never expecting such a bad quality engineering from BOSE.  I have a portable speaker which doesnt have battery whenever i want to use it portable becasue battery is draining itself while not in use.  This information shall be mentioned in the box or datasheets so we can decide before purchasing. I will share this problem in all sale channels to avoid other problems having the same bad experience.  I will also check my rights if i can ask a refund of this useless product.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@albayramI would love to see Bose confirm what you just said.  I have owned many Revolves (about 5 or 6) over the years as well as other Bose battery-based products.  Firstly, my understanding is that when you hit regular OFF, it goes into BLE mode and 'low energy' should be exactly that - a slow drain.  SO over a period of time possibly weeks (perhaps sooner), it will go from say 100% down to perhaps 90% or 80%.  I have never seen any Bose unit, Revolve or otherwise go down below 70% in BLE mode.  If it is totally OFF (with the multifunction key), there should be no battery drain at all.

Now it may be possible that over time, if a battery is not in use or in storage, the battery is slowly losing its charge capacity.

I have not honestly done a lot of experimentation.  Those who have issue with BLE that I have read about here get concerned that another dive turns it on which will significantly drain the battery.  However, my personal experience for the last few years with Bose products that have used BLE mode that if they are not turned on by another device, the battery drain is little/minimal.

So if your unit is not behaving this way, you should let Bose tech support know so they can troubleshoot with you.  You could have a battery issue that is specific to your unit.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 15, 2020

@joelirwin 

first of all please clarify are u a bose staff or a product owner ? Sorry to say but your responses are not correct. If you are not a staff please advise how to reach bose team to clarify my issue.  It will be appreciated. 

related to your responses: the service team showed the e-mail from BOSE confirming that it is a general problem for the all revolve series and still you are stating that my product is faulty.

Also whatever you replied for the battery drain percentage is not correct. You are stating weeks but daily it is getting 10% less. So lets stop your assumptions and let's deal with the bad engineering from BOSE. The product  is really useless and i will share it in all webpages.  What is the benefit of a portable speaker which cannot keep it's battery charged 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@albayramI do not work for Bose - I thought it was deducible from my final sentence.  Only the moderators who respond here are Bose technical people and they have already likely read this post.  Hopefully you will see a response from them as well.  Your Bose support comes in two flavors - those who are here and respond to posts and those whom you can reach by calling your country's technical support number.

1. I have stated here in this community probably a few dozen times over the last year or so that I have had a battery issue now six times.  The first two times I sent my two revolves in for battery/board exchange/repair and the problem persisted.  They sent me two brand new Revolves and one of them still had the problem about 3 more times.  In each case, I had a procedure which 'fixed' the problem and got the percentage on full charge to 100%.  I initially assumed the problem came from charging them on a 1amp USB port but the last time I was pretty sure I was charging on a 2amp USB port and could not get it to charge past 90%.  So based on my personal experience with my two Revolves I still believe the issue is firmware related and fixable since each time I was able to get it to charge to 100% and stay there for a period of time.

I can only share my own experiences based on my Revolve charging issues.  I can only say based on your sharing that my Revolve experiences are different from yours and so they may not have an issue in common.  Perhaps your issues are more common to other Revolve users or perhaps they are specific to yours.  That is the goal of your troubleshooting.  And as I shared, if it is not hardware specific to your unit(s), then an exchange will not solve your problems.  An exchange did not work for me.  So my conclusions are for my own units - they are not 'wrong' for me - they may just not apply to yours.

2. Again, no 'assumptions' for me - my units do not go down 10% per day.  I have one unit that can go a whole week and still be at 100%.  My other unit goes down perhaps 10% to 30% a week. That is just my data.

So for me, there is something going on with the power.  I would definitely agree with you on that.  But the behavior seems to be different for each unit.  So if there is a 'global' power issue, I am not yet convinced what the cause is yet - battery, circuit card, firmware, charging method, etc. - it could be one of them, more than one of them or none of them.

I still believe that for long periods of time (more than a day), we need to keep the units off and not in BLE mode. Let's see if that makes a difference.  If not, then we know it's not a BLE power consumption issue.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 15, 2020

@joelirwin 

The service center updated the firmware, changed the battery,  changed the mother board. As the problem still continued they contacted with BOSE USA.

They showed me the e-mail from BOSE USA stating "that this is a general case for revolve series due to the Bluetooth version and it needs to be clarified to the customer".

I am really surprised still you think that it is the problem for my product when BOSE  USA sent a mail to the service centre confirming that this is the general case for the product. 

I believe that this will end the discussion. Let's @bose technical team respond to this.  

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@albayram 

I get what you are saying - as I described above, I experienced initially the same scenario as you with the replacement and continuing problem.

However, now I have two brand new units - one has had absolutely no problem.  Sometimes after a week or so it goes to 90% and then very quickly charges to 100%.  The other now has had a problem 4 times including this afternoon (I will describe) but every time, I can get it to charge with a 'procedure'.  So I stand by my 'view' that based on my units, the problem is not global to all Revolves.

After my last post, I checked my two Revolves.  The good one was at 100% (which I hadn't checked or used in about a week).  The other was at 60%.  I tried to charge it but the percentage remained at 60%.  I have seen this before so here is what I did:

1. Turned it on and off with the top button

2. Turned it on with the top and then off by holding down the multifunction button until the lights blinked.

3. Turned it on again with the top button and then held the top button down for over 10 seconds until all the lights went off.

4. Then nothing worked - no buttons did anything.  I then plugged the Revolve into a 2 amp USB battery charger and the yellow charging light came on.

5. I hit the top button and the prompt asked me to hit the multifunction button to select English (which means the unit initialized).  I ignored it and turned it off and let the unit charge.

6. After about an hour, the yellow light turned green and then I did the english selection.

I don't get why it works since it is nearly the same as Bose's instructions, but it does for me.  Sometimes, I have to do it two or three times.  But for me, it has now worked 7 times.  I have always been able to get back to 100% when a unit has refused to charge and up the percentage.

Since I have replaced to batteries/cards and received new units and the problem remains with one, I do not believe it is a hardware issue but rather a problem/bug with the firmware (until someone comes up with a better explanation).  Now your problem may be similar to mine, the same or totally different, that is up to Bose to troubleshoot with you.

As far as the Bluetooth comment, since I have not seen the complete wording, I remain skeptical that the Bluetooth 4.x implementation has anything to do with the charging issue.  I believe Bose could be referring to the on/off implementation of going into BLE mode as a BT issue - in fact that implementation is 'by design' which has disappointed many customers who have been vocal about it here. If the charging issue were BT-based, it would have impacted all the Revolves.

I am open to anything that explains and will suggest a fix.  But until the Bose moderators here identify it as a problem impacting more than a particular user, I continue to believe it is firmware caused and needs to be fixed by a firmware change.  For the last year or so, whenever someone reports a charging issue Bose moderators refer the customer to the phone support.  I have asked for them multiple times to comment on the issue in general but they never have (so far).

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 15, 2020

@Tegan_M 

BOSE team why u don't respond the technical problems here? Your Middle East team asked to change the battery and motherboard of my product and even after that the product problem still occurred then instead of changing the faulty product or refunding it BOSE USA team mentioned that this is a general problem and it needs to be clarified to client.  Why u didn't clarify that you have a portable product which drains 10% of the battery daily when it is completely off !!! before selling.  

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@albayram 

1. After our discussion here, I called Bose to ask about what you said you heard.  Apparently there seems to be a possible lack of communication among Bose support, since I talked to people assigned to USA, had them come here and read your post, and then they denied hearing of any general problem associated with the Revolve.  So I tried to verify what you said Bose told you and could not.  (I do believe you really did hear that, btw).

2. Bose in the time I have been here has never conveyed any 'general' problem in any product.  I would be surprised and impressed if they did so for the Revolve.  In fact, I would be surprised if they checked in at all and if they did, they will at best suggest you continue your discussions with the phone people (I know that is 'circular').  "Once" a moderator shared in the headphone community that the problem QC35i headphone users were having was not firmware.  Even though everyone knew the problem was slipping contacts in the on/off switch, not once did Bose comment any further on the problem.  So imho, they will at best suggest you work one on one with the phone people.  I hope someone eventually responds to you - that is the 'right' thing to do.

3. I have a unit which is similar to yours.  I have arranged for it to be exchanged and not repaired (it was brand new - made in January).  Here is suggestion for a possible win/win.  I know you believe your unit has a problem - if you call the phone people again, offer the unit as an exchange so that they can send the unit to the engineering group to help them find out why the unit won't hold a charge.  If it is indeed a larger issue, then you will be helping them diagnose and improve the quality of their products.