Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 12, 2017

AmpLink audio clicking on CH 2

I have an experienced contractor that has 5 locations with ESP-880A and a PM8500 with an AmpLink card in it. He is using quality pre-made shielded 2-3ft CAT6 cables. In all locations the occasional popping and clicking is not in the DSP but only in the PM8500 and only on CH2 in all locations. He wired CH 2 analog out of the DSP and into the PM8500 and that has solved unwanted noises. Is there a way to get this to work as designed so that all 8 channels stay digital?

2 locations are running CSD 5.6 & 3 locations are running 5.7.

Thanks,

Rick

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Bose Employee
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

Re: AmpLink audio clicking on CH 2

Hello Rick,

I've noticed your report on our internal log system also.

We have received some reports on this and trying to root cause this.
In most cases replacing the AmpLink card resolved the issue, but hard wiring CH2 is also a good workaround.

I hope we can fix this issue as soon as possible.

BR
Arno

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 20, 2019

Hey Steve, remember hearing about this problem from one of our guys? Around the DesignMax launch in Sydney??

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 8, 2008

Have we found any resolution or root cause for this issue? We have another incident of this at a theater install in Hartford, CT.

Highlighted
Bose Employee
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

Hello Eric,

We are about receive some products from the field that should have his issue. Once received we can start root causing this issue.

BR
Arno

Highlighted
Bose Employee
Registered since

Jun 17, 2016

Hi Arno / All,

Have we confirmed (to the best of our ability) that this issue is primarily with the receiving devices? (PM AmpLink cards/ PSX04A etc) 

I had someone replace their AmpLink card in a PM amp, and this made no difference, so he sent his processor to me. I've now had this connected using AmpLink since last week, but haven't been able to replicate the issue. 

Thanks,

Chris

Highlighted
Bose Employee
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

Hello Chris,

So far we think it is an issue on the receiving device, but only with PM /w AmpLink. We haven't heard on this issue with other receiving devices.

BR
Arno

Highlighted
Registered since

Oct 4, 2010

I am having a similar problem at a church using an ESP 1240A and a PM4250 with an AmpLink card. However, I'm getting the noise on channels 2 and 4, with it being most noticeable on channel 4. In my case I was able to see the noise on the front panel meter of the amplifier, as well as on the output metering of the AmpLink block in CSD while connected to the ESP. What caught my eye was that outputs 1 and 2 were both being driven from the same source in CSD, but channel 1 didn't exhibit the noise. I also noticed that an analog output being fed from the same source did not have the noise present. The noise was present with all inputs muted, so I assumed it was the processor. I swapped out the ESP and so far the client has reported the noise is gone, but now I'm wondering if it's the amp and/or AmpLink card. I've been running the original ESP in the shop, but connected to a ZA 2120 amp. So far I have not been able to replicate the problem. If it returns at the church I'll switch to the analog outputs as a test. (using CSD version 5.7)

Highlighted
Bose Employee
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

Hello Scott,

Thank you so much for adding this information.

We have seen max metering on the outputs in CSD 5.7.
I hope you can retry using CSD 5.8.2 (just released on PRO.BOSE.COM)

BR
Arno

Highlighted
Registered since

Oct 4, 2010

Arno,

I went back to the site to update the firmware in both the processor and amplifier and reload the configuration using 5.8.2. The noise was still present afterward. Something new I noticed before I did the update was that I could silence the clicks by muting any one of the AmpLink output channels in CSD. I did not confirm whether that was still the case running 5.8 as I was running out of time. I rewired the processor and amplifier to use the analog inputs and the noise was eliminated. This is not an ideal fix however, as the client wanted to preserve the analog outputs for future connections. I also removed the AmpLink card from the amplifier in case it needs to be returned to Bose. Hopefully there will be a fix for this problem soon.