arno-at-bose
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

ESP88 Link card

A ESP88 link card with in/output, so we can link audio from one ESP to another (just like the PM8500 link card
6 REPLIES 6
johnr-at-bose
Registered since

Oct 2, 2008

Re: ESP88 Link card

Yes!

I agree. This would be a very cost effective way to combine signals. Two slots could also give you 16 channels.

Two ESP link cards is about 1/3 the cost of two cobranet cards.

If you want 16 channels between chassis, the cost of 4 ESP link cards is about 2/3 the cost of two cobranet cards, and 'costs' and additional ESp slot.

An ESP link card should also have the loop feature so you could go to ESP's and PM's simultaneously, or to multiple ESP's.
arno-at-bose
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

Hi John,

Thanks for you support 🙂

For now we use the AES card to route the audio signals to the next ESP88.
But the advantage of a ESP link card with in-/outputs is that it is easier to connect and the cost reduction.
RobB-at-Bose
Registered since

Oct 6, 2008

Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions 🙂

I understand that it would make interconnection between ESPs simpler and quicker.

An ESP Link input card though would almost certainly cost more than the ESP Link output card because it will need to handle the clocking (otherwise you couldn't add mulitple cards or mix with CobraNet). This would likely mean adding sample rate converters like the AES input card. If the cost was more like the AES card would it still be an attractive proposition?

Best regards
Rob
arno-at-bose
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

Hi Rob,

I understand the problem.

Personaly I think a lower price is more attractive than an simpler/quicker connection.
But so far we didn't design so much large ESP8 systems.

Best regards,

Arno
R.Kosman@Bose
Participant
Registered since

Aug 20, 2008

we have talked about this functionality with the development team over the past several months. while there are many possible ways to implement this (LVDS, ESP Link, Dante, AVB, etc.) the key issue we could use your - and others - help with is... How many channels do you want to pass back and forth between processors?

We see some systems like Peavey, QSC and BSS where LVDS is used and they have a very large (256x256) inter-processor matrix size. What would the ideal matrix size be for your applications?

Rob
Asad-at-LC_Acou
Registered since

Oct 1, 2008

I Agree with Arno. I have been working with ESP-88 since before its birth and the biggest matrix that I have worked on within the MEA region was 32 X 32 and that was in a blue-moon! Features come at a cost and what I hope to see is cost effective means to interlink chassis.

Asad.