Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bruce-at-Bose
Bose Employee
Registered since

Oct 3, 2008

Issues with PM8500, ESP-00 and CC-64 not retaining settings

Hello To the Tech Universe...

There are a couple strange things going on at his install that have me puzzled.
I wanted to see if the brain trust on this forum had run into any of this and had a solution.

Here is what the customer is telling me is happening – edited for brevity.
“PM8500Network - programmed with the USB jack in the front.
“The PM8500N is bridged 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8.
It is current on the firmware for 3.4.1 verified with the customer from front panel.
It is losing its "bridge" settings any time that the amp loses power when the power sequencer turns it off.
When power is returned, it always comes back on as eight mono channels.”

NOTE: I have been able to duplicate this in my office without fail.
If I upload a file with the bridged amp settings and then disconnect, it does not ask me to “Flash”.
If I change the Volume control on a output block and then return it to its original setting, it does ask me to flash.
When I disconnect and then remove the power cord and let it set for 15 seconds or longer and then plug it back in, it comes back with 8 mono channels and with (Defaults Restored) in the upper left corner of the LCD window.
It will do this repeatedly……

However – if I connect via the network cable and upload the design, it will retain it’s settings thru the power cycles.
But if I connect again using the USB, it will revert to the default settings on the amp after I disconnect and power cycle. Needless to say, the customer is not happy at this point with our product.

“The DSP:
We have two ESP-00 II.
One is in our main room that is controlling the lobby 70v, as well as an “unattended mode” in the main room
(2 wireless mics, computer and audio inputs) that drive the main PA for small meetings so the console doesn’t need to be on.
There is a CC64 in the lobby as well as one at FOH.
There are a few mic inputs in the lobby as well as control for those two wireless mics as that space is used extensively for meetings, gatherings, etc.

The other ESP is in our preschool worship room, with one CC64 side stage.

The primary issue in our main room is the CC64 out in the lobby is losing its labeling as well as backlight settings any time there is a power outage.
The ESP is on a UPS, while the CC64 is not currently on one (it will be).
A power cycle of the CC64 will regain labeling and control, but then the backlight reverts to its default 10 sec setting - we want it to be on 24/7.
The only way we have found to get the backlight to stay on is to log in to the ESP, and send the design file to the device, and save it to flash.
That is good until there is another power outage or something gets unplugged. That DSP stays on 24/7.

We are having similar issues with the CC64 in the preschool worship room.
It is losing labeling and backlight settings.
The ESP has also has some issues in that we have made some changes to gain and EQ for the room, but it lost power due to the UPS dying one day and reverted back to the initial settings before our updates.
I was with the contractors Integration Manager and can confirm the new settings were saved to flash memory. We re-uploaded and it hasn’t lost power since. “

I went on to the forum and reviewed CC-64 issues and saw where we recommend setting the hardware timeout to be the same as the timeout set in the software.
I don’t have to tell you how confused I am that it doesn’t all get set the same when you push the design to it………

This is in a new consultant specified installation at a smaller campus of a larger church.
Any ideas on what might be happening? I need to know pretty quick.
I am trying some of this on my rig in my office.
If you know of anything that would help, let me know. I am going to be at the church on Wednesday morning.

Thanks,

Bruce
2 REPLIES 2
arno-at-bose
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

Re: Issues with PM8500, ESP-00 and CC-64 not retaining settings

Hi Bruce,

It looks like there is something going wrong with the netlist as soon as you try to upload a design with other output configuration settings than default.
The only work around I have found so far is (if you have a PM without Ethernet):
- change the output configuration settings on the PM itself using the rotary knob (Menu > Conifg > Output Config)
- go on-line and download the design (don't upload)
- make changes to the design

I tried to reproduce the backlight issue.
The CC64 backlight time retained the value that was entered on the CC64. It didn't look at the time entered via CSD. Also after power cycle of the CC64 (and let the ESP on) the value was still as entered on the CC64
Bruce-at-Bose
Bose Employee
Registered since

Oct 3, 2008

Re: Issues with PM8500, ESP-00 and CC-64 not retaining settings

Thanks Arno,
Luckily, they have a network version of the amp and it will retain the settings if you use that. So, that is what I will use today when I am onsite. I will try your suggestions when I am back in my office.

Bruce