Claude_Fortier
Registered since

Aug 27, 2012

Materials database sharing on a network?

We have a few engineers here who use Bose Modeler at their workstations, and each inputs new materials into their copy of the materials database, meaning that they all have different material databases. Is it possible to have a single material database on a network drive that is common that everyone can upgrade and use, so once a new material is put in everyone can use it? We have no need for simultaneous use of the database, as only one user would access the materials file at a time. If that is not possible, is there an effective way that once a material gets put in, everyone can get it into their own copy of the database?

Regards,

Claude Fortier
State of the Art Acoustik Inc.
8 REPLIES 8
Lars_Justesen
Registered since

May 20, 2010

Re: Materials database sharing on a network?

You could set the default material library path to a networkshare (ex. \\server\material_data\) - but only the file default.mat gets loaded.

Best regards, Lars
Lars_Justesen
Registered since

May 20, 2010

I was a bit fast there - you need to make a windows networkdrive instead of using a direct path. Then you will be able to share the same material_data folder.

Regards, Lars
Thomas_S
Bose Employee
Registered since

May 20, 2020

Hi Claude,

I haven’t tried it myself but I know at least one office here in GER where the Modeler users are sharing their libraries over a network. As far as I know, they just use the ‘Browse’ function in the ‘Paths’ setup and navigate to the respective network path. I will try to verify with them on Monday.

To access the manual path setting, hold down Shift and Ctrl and select ‘Application Preferences’ from the ‘Edit’ menu. Then select the ‘Paths’ tab.

Sharing materials on a network should not cause any issues since once you have selected some of them to populate your model-specific Material Database, they will get attached to the model file. But note that sharing other files, like many large speaker files will likely result in some speed penalties when the model is opened and things are loaded into memory.

Best rgds,

Thomas
Claude_Fortier
Registered since

Aug 27, 2012

Hi Thomas,

That works very well. I did not know how to access the Paths before your post. That is not listed in the help file or the manual it seems when I last looked. Where do you look to find this info, as perhaps there is a whole lot more we are missing.

Thanx,

Claude
Thomas_S
Bose Employee
Registered since

May 20, 2020

Hi Claude,

This functionality is not officially documented. In earlier incarnations of Modeler, this is how the Preferences used to look but we then broke them into two sections, Model Settings and Application Preferences and left out the stuff that is required only very seldom. And no, there's not a 'whole lot more that you are missing'.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Best rgds,

Thomas
R.Kosman@Bose
Participant
Registered since

Aug 20, 2008

Hi Claude,

The info Thomas shared is a 'hidden' function that we use for debugging purposes during development. Believe it or not there is not much else that is 'hidden' 🙂

Happy Modeling!

Rob
rayw-at-bose
Registered since

Oct 1, 2008

Hi Claude,

I often use this feature to change the preset radius of loudspeakers within a cluster from 3 metres to say 1 metre when needed. This can be found under the 'calculations' tab.

All the best with modeling.
Ray
Claude_Fortier
Registered since

Aug 27, 2012

Thomas, Rob and Ray,

Thank you very much for your insight. Using the common database files will be very useful in our office and will improve our work and reduce duplication and errors.

If I could add one request is that there be a comment field added to each material to identify the source of the absorption coefficient data. Just a simple text filed with the option to print/display it or not if that helps. It would really help to ensure the data being used is reliable. Much of the data in Modeler comes from Harris' or Beranek's old books on acoustics from the 1950's, such as for "wood floor on 16" joists". It is always nice to know who tested what.

Claude