DavidP-at-Bose
Registered since

Nov 19, 2008

PM Firmware update via USB directions...

Apologies in advance, I do not have a USB only amplifier to test this... but this is the functionality I see when connecting to my 8500N via USB:

In our firmware update instructions we tell people it would be wise to retrieve the saved design prior to attempting the firmware upgrade. This makes total sense and is obvious for a networked amplifier. How does one do this for a USB only amplifier? I see no way for someone to backup the amplifier settings prior to upgrading the firmware, as the firmware update is forced upon you. Even if you cancel out, the option to retrieve saved design is not available, I believe because this was intended as a network only feature.

Am I correct? And if so... any ideas as to what we have people do who have USB only amplifiers attempting this new (or future) firmware updates?

Thanks!
D.
5 REPLIES 5
RobB-at-Bose
Registered since

Oct 6, 2008

Re: PM Firmware update via USB directions...

Hi David,

The diffence is that the design file is not used when connecting via USB, and so there is no file that can be downloaded, only the current settings. Even when conencting via Ethernet you can't retrieve the current settings without going online - for which you need matched CSD/Firmware.

Since this release is only a firmware update, you could always go-online with 3v1 and retrieve the retrieve the current settings prior to installing the update and upgrading the firmware. And of course, this step is only necessary if you don't have the original design file..

Hope this helps

Best regards
Rob
DavidP-at-Bose
Registered since

Nov 19, 2008

Yeah, there is the problem Rob. You would have to go back and forth uninstalling/installing (or moving) the firmware update file on your computer so that you can actually connect to save current settings. Not a viable solution for these guys going out and updating many amplifiers.

I guess it is what it is for now. But I wish we would put a note in the USB section of the release notes that says you won't be able to do download the file as told to do in the first section. It's going to generate a lot of questions/trouble calls.
rayw-at-bose
Registered since

Oct 1, 2008

Hello David and Rob,

Thanks for your clarification on this Rob, but I agree with David that the PM8500 firmware upgrade procedure can be confusing and is indeed topical as I had an installer seeking support and instruction on this whilst on site only yesterday.

Rob will there be a revised 'official' instruction that explains the firmware update for PM8500 more fully or should we prepare some form of revision note for our own particular theatres of operation?

This may also be an opportunity to better explain the process of 'files' to and from the PM8500 so as to avoid further confusion.

Best wishes for the New Year.

Ray
R.Kosman@Bose
Participant
Registered since

Aug 20, 2008

Here is some info that should help with future updates:

1) Before you begin the upgrade process - even before you install the update utility - you should connect to the system and retrieve the system settings.

(I admit this may be a bit of a pain if you are visiting multiple sites as you will have to fully uninstall the application, and then re-install v3.1, and then finally re-install the firmware update)

2) There is no concept of a 'project file' for USB only hardware. it is a direct connection to the hardware and the settings are saved directly into the hardware. the only time there is a 'project file' concept is in networked systems.

3) In reviewing the update process today there is a final step - which we did not document (didn't think we needed to) which is when updating via USB you will receive a message telling you a 'plug event' has been received and do you want to go online. Selecting Yes will initiate a new session.

You are then prompted to 'send to device' / 'get from device' / 'do nothing'. People performing the update need to be aware to SELECT the second option GET FROM DEVICE. If you select Send to Device a 'blank', or default set of settings will be sent to the hardware - thus causing your design to 'disappear'.

I will add clarification to items number 1 and 3 to the install guide for the firmware update and re-post here on the forum for all users.

rk
R.Kosman@Bose
Participant
Registered since

Aug 20, 2008

An updated version of the PowerMatch Firmware Update instructions are now available for download at: Firmware update v1.153
Release Notes

This set of instructions includes an update to remind the user that they need to select 'get from hardware' at the conclusion of the update process when connected via USB.

It also recommends that for networked systems even if there is no ESP, or a CC is connected directly to the PowerMatch amplfier, that the update be performed using the network method.

rk