paul.todd@sseaudio.com
Contributor
Registered since

May 1, 2009

critical distance

a feature i noticed from EASE is the critical distance.

this could be a useful feature for modeler. i was thinking that it could be visually represented as iso bar line mapped across the listener areas.
It could be switched on in a similar manner to isobar lines button for the RoomMatch arrays

i think 2 plotted lines would be useful
1 showing where the direct is equal to reverb level and then a second at say at the -10dB from the D=R line.

it would be good to be able to select the frequency bands in the EQ tab. it will highlite how the Q of the cabinets have different effects on the D to R Ratio at various frequency bands.

useful for placing delay speakers or highlighting the need for a RoomMatch longthrow hi Q array in highly reflective rooms.
3 REPLIES 3
Thomas_S
Bose Employee
Registered since

May 20, 2020

Re: critical distance

Hi Toddy,

interesting idea. Two remarks:

The way we do the isobars is that we store the data within the speaker file, thus no calculation time is wasted to display them. This would be impossible with CD lines since they depend on diffuse level and the summed response of all speakers in the model. Thus, CD lines would become a separate item to calculate in the pipeline.

As you know, the diffuse field level we predict in the D+R tab is independent of location. I wonder if this simple method is appropriate for anything intelligibility-related and I tend to say: If you have to add calculations, why not use STI mapping right away ?

Best rgds,

Thomas
R.Kosman@Bose
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 20, 2008

great suggestions - what other useful EASE features might we consider for Modeler?

Rob
paul.todd@sseaudio.com
Contributor
Registered since

May 1, 2009

Makes sense, thanks for the feedback - I will stick with STI