Luis_Bejarano
Registered since

Jan 26, 2018

settings to model subwoofer arrays

Dear support,

I'm having trouble getting the correct reading for a sub woofer array.

my setup are five SMS118:

this is my result at 63Hz, like you can see it shows no more than a 5 meter radius coverage:

I've noticed increasing the "Seating1" height helps, but I don't know if that's the solution for accurate results.

What would be the correct settings for accurate simulations with sub woofers?

2 REPLIES 2
Thomas_S
Bose Employee
Registered since

May 20, 2020

Re: settings to model subwoofer arrays

Hi Luis.

In this case, the problem is the limited amount of dynamics in the SPL mapping. You are mapping right until the location where the acoustic sources are so these samples are very loud (120 dB).

I can’t see it from your screenshots but I assume you have set the mapping to 1dB/color so you have 10 dB of possible swing or dynamics in your colormap and everything below -10 dB rel (that's still 110 dB) will be displayed as blue.

There are three ways to improve the mapping. Note this is just concerning the display, none of the predicted SPL values is actually changing.

• Right-click into the map and switch to 2 dB/color step.
  • Use Offset SPL from the Simulation tab to scale the loudest samples out of the map.
  • Split your listening planes (onto which you are mapping) and leave a strip of e.g. Floor in between the subs and the actual listening area and exclude that area from the mapping. A single meter of space will help a lot.

In general, for 63 Hz, the associated wavelength and the length of your array, it behaves almost like a cardioid point-source, dropping of at -6dB/ distance doubling. Increasing the distance between elements would reduce this level-drop a little bit.

Hope this helps.

Any other questions, let us know.

Best rgds,

Thomas

Luis_Bejarano
Registered since

Jan 26, 2018

Re: settings to model subwoofer arrays

Thanks a lot Thomas, that solved my problem.

Are there plans to add a 3dB/step  and display mode?

Example: