SoundTouch 10 or Companion 20 as computer speaker(s)?

Silent Starter

SoundTouch 10 or Companion 20 as computer speaker(s)?

Hi, I'm looking for some decent speakers for my (small) study, maybe in the $ 200-250 range, to connect to my desktop computer. I checked out Bose's dedicated computer speakers, and found the Bose Companion 20 system quite appealing. But how about those WIFI speakers? I've read that the SoundTouch 10 has an AUX input jack, so presumably I could connect that to my computer, but while it looks pretty neat, it's also just one speaker. Would you rather go with the Bose Companion 20, or a SoundTouch 10, or do you have any other suggestions? --Jeff

5 REPLIES 5
Noisy Narrator

Re: SoundTouch 10 or Companion 20 as computer speaker(s)?

I have the Companion 20 speakers. I am very happy with their performance. The speakers are easy to set up and look good on either side of my iMac.

You can’t beat the 3.5 mm connection. I read on the Bose sales site that adding higher quality 3.5mm to 3.5 mm cabling results in a notable improvement in the sound.
I subscribe to the good cable equals very good sound philosophy, based on my own listening experience. I have ordered an Audioquest Golden Gate cable to connect my Companion 20 speakers with my iMac.
This is an analogue solution which I am confident that will build on the already good sound coming from the Companion 20 speakers.

Turning to the SoundTouch 10 speakers, sure why not? I suspect this would be one way of lassoing Apple Music into the SoundTouch realm, that isn’t done by Blue Tooth. A 3.5-3.5mm AUX input connection from your computer should allow you to Broadcast to your other ST devices.

Strictly as a pair of speakers connected to you computer, should result in a nice system, giving you full access to Bose’s streaming options.

Again I would cable up with some Audioquest gear as well.

I am unsure how a wireless connection would perform connecting the ST10 to your computer.

Silent Starter

Thank you, much appreciated! I decided to go with the Companion 20 as well and am equally satisfied with their performance Smiley Happy.

Noisy Narrator

Are you using the Companion 20 as a pair? How is your setup sounding?

Hello jeffg and rickatk,

Thank you both for posting. I am happy to hear you are enjoying your Companion 20's!! I would always suggest to go with our Computer Speakers for this type of setup.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Bose Support

Noisy Narrator

Update:

I added a Golden Gate 3.5 - 3.5 mm cable to my Companion 20 speakers input port and iMac output port. Sounds great, more expansive and very good separation.

I know there is much debate about the efficacy of adding premium after market cables to audio /video gear. I have had very good success in doing so:

Added Golden Gate 3.5mm cables to connect my Airport Express and Sound Touch 30 speakers.

Added Audioquest Ciinnamon Optical cables to my Bose Solo(s)speakers

Added Audioquest HDMI cables to connect my peripherals to my Cinemate 130 console.

I have been very happy with the results in all scenarios.