Soundtouch 300 and Dolby Atmos

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic

Soundtouch 300 and Dolby Atmos

I have read plenty of posts here regarding this. So far I have learned that at least at this time the Soundtouch 300 doesn't and can't support Dolby Atmos. However is it possible, since this system all ready has surround sound speakers and a subwoofer which I own, is there a possiblity of adding a multidirecitional speaker to for this system that is upward firing? Then just update the whole Soundtouch 300 for Dolby Atmos suport and this would prevent me from having to replace the whole system.  Also since there is a Dolby Atmos for headphones app for the pc. And Dolby Atmos headphones whiich I also own, Bose should look into developing those too. I am very interested in this now since Apple anounced that Dolby Atmos is comming to the Apple 4k TV next fall. 

13 REPLIES
Friendly Fanatic

Re: Soundtouch 300 and Dolby Atmos

+1 to this. If Bose give Dolby atmos support then I will be very much interested to buy in future.

Friendly Fanatic

I agree, I think the great engineering team at Bose could find away to make their sound bars compatible with Dolby Atmos. I don't know the configuration of their sound bars except for the Soundtouch 300. I believe it might be doable to add another speaker to what is now available for this sound bar set up. I bought the accuostamass bass and the surround sound speakers seperatley and through and update and connecting them via blue tooth they all worked well and sound great. Adding a upward pointing speaker I think may be possible and would save myself and others of having to replace this great system when Dolby Atmos becomes more popular.

Audible Advocate

+1

I would absolutely buy additional upward firing speakers to add to my existing ST 300 system!

Please make this happen Bose!

Friendly Fanatic

Thanks and yes. This needs to happen if Bose is going to move into the future without everyone that has a ST 300 system having to replace it with a whole new system. 

Audible Advocate

So I just bought a bose ST300 and it doesn't even have dolby atmos, Bose release a update to fix this problem or I will never buy Bose again. 

Hello all

Thank you for all the feedback regarding the SoundTouch 300 and Dolby Atmos.  At this point, since the system is configured in 5.1 there are no plans to introduce Dolby Atmos into our products as this requires more than the just the typical front,center and rear speaker packages to enjoy true Dolby Atmos.  The SoundTouch 300 currently supports Dolby Digital and DTS as external digital sources.   

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Wistful Whiz

@Game vortex wrote:

>I have read plenty of posts here regarding this. So far I have learned that at least at this time the Soundtouch 300 doesn't and can't support Dolby Atmos. However is it possible, since this system all ready has surround sound speakers and a subwoofer which I own, is there a possiblity of adding a multidirecitional speaker to for this system that is upward firing? Then just update the whole Soundtouch 300 for Dolby Atmos suport and this would prevent me from having to replace the whole system.  Also since there is a Dolby Atmos for headphones app for the pc. And Dolby Atmos headphones whiich I also own, Bose should look into developing those too. I am very interested in this now since Apple anounced that Dolby Atmos is comming to the Apple 4k TV next fall. 

I highly doubt we will see a firmware update released to support Dolby Atmos. Seriously, the last firmware update released by Bose resulted in a clock and some maintenance releases. Of course Apple Music has been promised as a firmware update.

I expect and hope the next release of sound bars from Bose will have all the latest trimmings and speaker bar formats from Dolby and DTS including: Upfiring speakers on the main chassis, HDMI 2.2 for 4K and the same great build and hopefully the same deluxe sub and wireless rear speakers as an option. If Bose gets serious about Atmos, I expect we could see a third speaker added to the Jewel / Cube speakers, pointing up of course.

About upfiring speakers, the 130 line was a great speaker bar with its optional vertical horizontal orientation feature. I envision something like that speaker bar lying flat with the Atmos channel speakers oriented forward and upfiring through metal grilles.The metal grilles really make the Bose speakers stand out. 

After auditionaing the Sony speakers bar Atmos offerings, I am confident Bose can offer a better sounding better looking more refined Atmos solution, but they have their work cut out for them. The Sony Atmos gear sounded pretty nice!

Audible Advocate

Is Bose working on a new soundbar with Atmos that will link to my existing bose subwoofer and rear surround sound speakers? 

Wistful Whiz

If they are, they certainly aren't going to talk about it here.

From some of the post above, evidently many people who are asking for Dolby Atmos have no idea what it is.  The Bose Soundtouch 300 is incapable of providing Dolby Atmos.  For the person who just bought a ST 300 and is complaining it doesn't have Atmos, why did you buy it?  Nowhere does Bose claim the ST 300 has or ever will have Atmos.