bose soundtouch 520

Silent Starter

bose soundtouch 520

Hi, I just recently purchased the bose soundtouch 520, I would like to know the best way to wire it for the best surrounded sound, right now I have optical cable going to tv to bose system, the sound works and comes through what ever source my TV is on without switching source on Bose system. Do I also need to hook up hdmi cable from tv to bose system?
  • Home Theater
5 REPLIES
Animated Arbiter

Re: bose soundtouch 520

Wayne Elliott wrote:
Hi, I just recently purchased the bose soundtouch 520, I would like to know the best way to wire it for the best surrounded sound, right now I have optical cable going to tv to bose system, the sound works and comes through what ever source my TV is on without switching source on Bose system. Do I also need to hook up hdmi cable from tv to bose system?

The connection method you have chosen under utilizes the capability and features of the 520 and is fine for say, the  Solo 5,10 and 15.

HDMI is always your best choice for connecting digital equipment. Best, video, best audio and features such as Audio Return Channel (ARC) will be enabled. If you choose to connect using HDMI there would be no need to keep the the optical source connected.

Also, rather than relying on the TV to do the source switching, connect your digital sources(DVD, Cable Tuner streamer etc) to the 520 console then run the supplied Bose HDMI cable between the 520 console and the the TV (ARC port if available). Let the console do the switching, decoding etc. This setup will let you run everything using the Bose remote and ARC( in theory) and enjoy the digital multi channel / speaker capabilities of the 520.

jdp
Quiet Contributor

One drawback from the setup you recomend is that you can only us one source of the 520 like watching TV but listenint to streaming music from the 520 at the same time. 

Animated Arbiter

jdp wrote:

One drawback from the setup you recomend is that you can only us one source of the 520 like watching TV but listenint to streaming music from the 520 at the same time. 

I have noticed criticism of this kind of functionality(or lack of) mentioned on other topics. I am at a loss however, as to why anyone would want to watch tv and listen to streaming music on the same device at the same time. I am no means being critical, just curious as to what I am missing here.

jdp
Quiet Contributor

In my case I sometime wathc sports games and listen to music at the same time. If I conect the cable box directly to the soundtouch reciver I cant do this.

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter

jdp wrote:

In my case I sometime wathc sports games and listen to music at the same time. If I conect the cable box directly to the soundtouch reciver I can't do this.

In addition to the method I suggested (connecting your cable box and other devices directly to your ST520) run a secondary cable from your cable terminal directly to your TV. You will likely only get standard definition as the cable boxes rarely offer two hdmi ports. At least you can watch TV over coaxial, composite or component  and play your music through your ST520 using HDMI.