Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 18, 2017

An idea to make sounds customisable for the user - please post your comment for Bose to listen

I recently contacted the Bose Sleepbuds team with some suggestions,  it was told there are no plans to make any changes to the sounds as there is not enough feedback from users for them to include it in their update roadmap. I do find that difficult to believe, but will give Bose the benefit of the doubt as I know people may not be as vocal about it or make actual suggestions for improvements as they don’t think it will make a difference. From the interaction I have had with the Sleepbuds, I do genuinely get the feeling they will consider implementing our ideas if enough of us post and comment on ideas on this forum. 

My suggestions, as I realise uploading your own sounds is never going to be something they budge on, was to create a ‘Sleep Sounds Studio’ within the app. I have issues with all the current sounds as they mostly have elements (Bose call them ‘ingredients’) that audibly annoy me when I’m trying to sleep. The idea of the sound studio is that each sound would have an equaliser for its own components that would allow you to set how prominent each ‘ingredient’ is. Say a sound has 5 parts to it, each part would be separately adjustable until you had it just right for you (for Bose to deliver sounds and tell us “they’re fine as they are, we think we did a good job” (Bose didn’t say this, this is just how it feels) is disingenuous to their customers and almost reflects a lack of understanding on the issues people have with certain sounds when trying to sleep, yet we know they “get it” or we wouldn’t have this product at all, so I’m really hopeful they really will listen to us if we can all be vocal enough). Once the sound is right, and you’d need to use your own headphones to work on them for the equalising part, you would have the option to ‘export’ your personally equalised sound to a usable sleepbuds sound file (apparently the format is WAV, so can’t be that hard to create the file needed. To be clear, these are not your own sounds, but a personal adjustment on the sounds Bose provides. I think this is a perfect balance between customer experience and Bose maintaining control of the sounds available). All of this is done and saved in the app, at this point there is no issue with memory as the app has no size restrictions. 

To go a bit further with making the sleepbuds a more personal product, I also provided a secondary suggestion. The option to choose the size and length of sleep sounds they have available. At the moment, we can upload around ten sounds, which I assume means the buds must have a maximum capacity of around 3 minutes of sounds. We will all mostly only use one or two sounds, so the current restriction on forcing us to have ten sounds uploaded before we can delete seems an odd one. If we could clear the buds out of all sounds, my suggestion is we have the option to upload a long, medium or short sound loop instead of just the short option we have now. I’d much rather have one three minute sound I cannot hear repeat than ten short sounds, of which I only use two. The user then has the choice to use the product exactly as it is now, or to personalise it more with a range of personally curated sounds. This option would also have the same adjustments as my first suggestion, so we have the chance to have a single, three minute sound that works perfectly for the individual (or whatever the user chooses to do with the software). I made these suggestions as they are purely software changes, nothing in my suggestions would compromise the hardware experience, testing or battery life and is within the realms of being easily implemented if Bose took the time to understand the customer experience is not as great as it could be if they worked with us to develop a perfect product. 

So again, Bose already have my ideas, liked them, but dismissed them without other users providing similar feedback. If you’re reading this, then please provide your feedback on my suggestions. I think they’re the only way we can get a product that we have personal control over, which I don’t think is much to ask after paying £230. I find it a lot of money to be told that these are the sounds and that’s it. I don’t want to find a sound that I can live with (making a compromise should never be part of the customer experience), I want to have the option to make the sound that works perfectly for me and for everyone else to have that option too.

I hope you like these ideas and really do hope we can get enough feedback in this thread to have the Sleepbuds team start to work with us all. 

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 30, 2020

Re: An idea to make sounds customisable for the user - please post your comment for Bose to listen

Great idea! I would be happy if they just started with a simple pre-processor equalizer so I could compensate for the decline in my high frequency hearing.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 30, 2020

Re: An idea to make sounds customisable for the user - please post your comment for Bose to listen

I should have added that it could run in the app before the sounds were uploaded. I might be able to hear the birds tweeting in the rain forest 🙂

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 23, 2019

Really happy to provide feedback to support your suggestions. I haven't ordered Sleepbuds II yet, waiting to see what users think as I'm concerned that the return process might be difficult given that there are no stores in Brisbane.  I exchanged 4 pairs of the originals at my local store - always an easy process and done with a smile. Regarding your specific suggestions and feedback about the various dings/chimes and subtle background noises - i found i could hear a pattern of "chimes" (difficult to describe) that were certainly not supposed to be part of the masking sounds on some of the choices in the library.  They drove me nuts and I could really only listen to very few options.  I didn't mention it to Bose as I thought they'd think I was crazy! I hope they listen to the feedback and that more people speak up. Thanks for starting the process.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 27, 2020

yes, yes, yes, MILION TIMES YES! 

I have Sleepbuds delivered just yesterday, but Warm Static sound is not the same as with Gen 1 Sleepbuds so I googled how to fix it and found your post. Your idea is just BRILLIANT. Just to prove how good it is: I saw it yesterday's night on my cellphone. Copied the link and put to my to-do list to register today on my PC and write this comment. Yes I registered to this forum JUST BECAUSE OF THIS BRILLIANT IDEA. 

Bose Support has a really weird assumption that if users don't ask for it they wouldn't want it at all. If Henry Ford had the same assumption we'd be driving horses till now and not to mention Steve Jobs and idea of smartphone. 

Bose Support: normally a user does not go online to write suggestions for the product - that's given. So if you're really interested in user's feedback just give people a chance to participate in the surveys via email / Sleep App where you ask people to vote how much they would be interested in proposed features this month. Each volunteer could have e.g. 10 votes each month. That way you'd quickly see how is the interest in the users group. I would vote all my 10 votes this month for this AMAZING feature. 

Next: I didn't go to google yesterday with the idea of this feature. But once I saw it I knew this is a pure gold. So don't expect everyone is genius like the guy who wrote this suggestion. 

Peace 🙂

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 27, 2020

I could not agree more.  I would much rather have 1 sound I chose or made than the short loops which are so annoying available now.  Maybe even offer sounds recommended by a sleep scientist.  I am neuroatypical and I am unable to tolerate the sounds. It sad because the product is comfortable and has great potential but if improvements cannot be made with sounds I will no longer be able to use it and it’s just money down the drain. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Oct 27, 2020

Great idea! This feature would be a game changer. I also would prefer just one personalized longer sound than a series of short loops which cannot be tweaked. Besides, since the current loops are short, the problem is I can hear the looped patterns and it also drives me nuts. The only sound which I am quite happy with is the crickets with fire. And even if this one was longer it would be better. So cannot agree more.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 16, 2020

I like this idea but would also like Bose to expand the library since you can’t listen outside the app. I would value meditation- helps me get to sleep.

Highlighted

Hi All,

Thanks for posting and contributing to the discussion!

We are planning to add more content to the Sound Library through future software updates, so it's great to get feedback on what sounds and features you would like to see going forward!

@Denziloshamen, I really like your suggestion about the "Sleep Sounds Studio", it's a really interesting idea. As sleep is something that is very personal, having the ability to personalize the sounds available is certainly a feature I'm sure other users would find useful.

I can't guarantee whether these features are something that can be added to the app and the Sleepbuds, but I'll be sure to pass all these suggestions on to our development team so they know what you all would like to see added!

Please do continue to add any further ideas you have for what we can add to the sound library to make the Sleepbuds even better for you!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 18, 2017

Thank you for all the feedback and responses, and thank you to @Keith_L for providing a response from Bose. I think it’s clear from many of the responses to my suggestions, and from the feedback throughout the rest of this forum, the sounds and options are just not there yet for the users to feel they have a full and complete sleep aid. This is more than just a pair of headphones or a speaker, we’re talking about a well-being product. Bose, you owe it to your supporters, now you seem to have nailed the hardware, to work with us on the software. There’s been a few comments of ‘game changer’ if my ideas were implemented and I’m not trying to,sell the ideas because they’re my own, but I just know they are the solution to elevate the Sleepbuds from a niche experiment to a fully fledged sleep solution. A lack of sleep can destroy people’s lives, I truly believe the Sleepbuds can change the lives of thousands if only they had the ability to be more personalised to the user. 

I think I’ve said it before, I currently feel like I’m just learning to live with the Sleepbuds. I don’t love them, but I really want to and know there is potential for them to be perfect this time around. 

as you can also see, you have some passionate customers wishing to help with development. I’m sure you’ve got your own teams, but nothing can prepare internal testers for real world usage by people brimming with feedback and ideas. We would happily test new app features via apple’s TestFlight (and whatever the solution is for android testing) given the opportunity.