Highlighted
unconstituted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 7, 2020

Anyone glued the magnet back on? Any tips?

Magnet came off my current pair of Sleepbuds. Had 4 replacements already (though we have two users and two pairs in our home) and would feel terrible asking Bose to replace again. We just need these current pairs to last until Bose get a new version out but this is the second pair where the magnet has come off, so I guess this will keep happening and I need to learn to fix it myself. I'm thinking this time I can maybe just glue it on, but it's a little risky as the charge contacts could get covered. 

Not experienced with something like this, so need a way to get an uber tiny drop of suitable glue in the magnet recess.

Cover charge points with tape is as far as my thinking has gone. Not sure on glue type or method of getting that tiny drop in.

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
eznoh
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 1, 2018

Re: Anyone glued the magnet back on? Any tips?

I tried a couple times without success. Next time (I've got two sets left) I'm going to take it to a watch repair shop, if the magnets come off before other issues develop.

Mike

unconstituted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 7, 2020

Good thinking about the watch repair guys. They must be used to working on that sort of tiny scale!

disappointed user
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 23, 2019

Yes I did, just put in the right side and I use a transparent glue, just a drop, in mexico the name in kola loka, contant glue, and it was perfect, maybe no the right wey, but still working

KernelAgainstTheWall
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 1, 2019

Both my left and right magnets came off on the same day. I couldn't find any detailed instructions for gluing them back on, so I tried a few things and came up with a method that works.

Here's what you'll need:

-Liquid super glue (not the gel kind)

-exam gloves (so you don't glue your fingers together)

-nail polish remover or acetone (to fix mistakes)

-fine forceps or tweezers

-a toothpick

-an allen wrench, diameter around the same as the magnet

-helpful but not essential: some modeling clay (e.g., Plasticine)

Here's how to do it:

1. Remove the magnet from the charging case using forceps and place it on your work surface.

2. Pick up the magnet with the tip of the allen wrench. Allen wrenches are steel, to the magnet will immediately glom on to the wrench when you move it close. You might have to hold the magnet down with the forceps or a toothpick in order to prevent it from flying onto some other part of the wrench. Once it's on the tip of the wrench, you can control the magnet very easily - much easier than if you use forceps.

3. IMPORTANT: Move the magnet close to the corresponding magnet in the charging case. You want your two magnets to RESIST each other. That's because the "down" side of the magnet (the side of the magnet that is not stuck to the allen wrench) goes into the sleepbud, and the OTHER side - the side stuck to the allen wrench - has to be attracted to the magnet in the charging case. If your magnet jumps onto the charging case magnet, it was upside down, and you'll have to start over. If not, set the allen wrench and magnet aside.

4. Remove your sleepbud from the silicone sleep tip. Make sure the little rectangular depression where the magnet goes is clean. Practice sticking the magnet into the depression. It's useful to stick the sleepbud onto a wad of modeling clay, which stabilizes it. Just be sure not to get any clay into the loudspeaker! (The magnet will get stuck in the rectangular depression, but it's easily removable - that's why it came off to begin with.)

5. Squeeze a puddle of super glue onto a piece of cardboard. Dip the toothpick into the puddle and apply a tiny amount of glue to the rectangular depression. I had to do this two or three times until I saw that the depression seemed to be uniformly wet. Do NOT squeeze the glue directly into the depression. Way too much will come out.

6. Remove the sleepbud from the modeling clay. Holding the sleepbud as firmly as you can on the work surface, use the allen wrench to press the magnet into the depression. Press down firmly for as long as you can.

7. Your magnet should now be nicely glued in place. Gently wipe off any excess glue using forceps or a toothpick. Allow a few hours for the glue to dry.

8. Examine your work again and scrape off any excess glue. Test to make sure the sleepbud snaps into the charging case. If you got the magnet polarity wrong, you'll have to remove the magnet. Put some acetone or nail polish remover in a small cup or spoon, dab a toothpick in it, and apply to the magnet. Then try to worry the magnet loose using a small screwdriver and/or forceps. The rectangular depression will then have to be thoroughly cleaned of dried-up super glue by scraping and judicious applications of acetone. So... don't get the polarity wrong.

I have no idea how long this is going to last, but I did this a few days ago and everything seems to be working fine.

Good luck!

KernelAgainstTheWall
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 1, 2019

By the way, after I did this, one of my sleepbuds wouldn't charge. It turned out that I had gotten a little super glue into the metal contacts on the sleepbud, which are concave. The charging case has tiny metal posts that nest into the lowest part of the metal contacts on the sleepbud - exactly where the superglue wants to pool. I fixed the problem by gently scraping the contacts clean.