LeoNeedsToSleep
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

Anyone use these to mask footfalls from upstairs neighbors?

Upstairs neighbor paces constantly late night.  Not crazy loud, barefoot, makes a thump, thump, thump, or boom, boom,boom sound.  Has anyone used the sleepbuds to sucessfully mask a similar noise?

7 REPLIES 7
N
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 14, 2018

Re: Anyone use these to mask footfalls from upstairs neighbors?

I bought those specifically because of loud steps from the upstairs neighbours. They don’t mask them 100% but for me it was enough that I could sleep through the incessant banging and finally get full nights of sleep.

It’s worth trying them since you can return them within 2 weeks if they don’t work for you.
LeoNeedsToSleep
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

thank you for reply.

Highlighted
LeoNeedsToSleep
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

I went ahead and purchased the sleepbuds.  In case it can be helpful to others, I thought that I would provide an update on my experience with them.  Out of the box, they did not work, I needed to update the firmware, so I dusted off my pc, downloaded and ran the updater, and everything worked fine after that.  After previewing a few sounds I tried to transfer a new sound to the sleepbuds, but after I saw that it can take several hours to do this, I stopped. (maybe I am extra lazy, but I suspect most people are ot going to bother).  First night was a baseline test, as I was in a quiet sleep situation.  No issues sleeping with the sleepbuds, they are surprisingly comfortable to wear and to sleep with. I am a side sleeper and I did not notice them at all.  I did not experience the rubbing noise that others have, I think because for me the sleepbuds are recessed in my ears.  Anyways, day 2, I tried phone free mode, this was MUCH better for me, I can just take buds out of case and pop them in.  I would exclusively use phone free mode, as I would not be using the alarm or other features that are not available in phone-free mode.  Unfortunately, on day 2,3,4, and 5 the sleepbuds did not mask the footfalls from upstairs neighbor. I think that they might have worked if I cranked up the volume to max, but am not willing to risk my hearing.

I have a particular combination of sounds that I use from my pc thru speakers that does work, but as you cannot use your own sounds with the sleepbuds, I was not able to test this sound combination with the sleepbuds. I suspect that they would work since the sound i am trying to mask is not loud, just annoying, I need to replace the annoyng base with not annoying base.  Since the sleepbuds have a single purpose, and for my situation they did not help my sleep, I cannot justify keeping them at $250.  I wish they helped my problem.  They are very comfortable to sleep with, and if they mask the noise that you are dealing with I would get them, but for base/impact noise they are not a good solution.  

Hello LeoNeedsToSleep, 

Thank you very much for keeping us updating on your journey with the Noise-masking Sleepbuds. We really appreciate your feedback and this helps us to constantly improve and develop our products for user needs. 

It's great to hear how comfortable you found the Sleepbuds and how much you liked 'Phone Free' mode. However, I'm sorry that they were not able to help you sleep through the bass. 

We made the conscious decision to only allow the default sounds to achieve a form factor small enough for a really comfortable experience and to cater for a battery life that can support playback for the entire night. 

If you do have any questions or suggestions, I'd be more than happy to help.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

LeoNeedsToSleep
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

Well since you asked I have a couple of suggestions. 

1. The volume control should display the db.
  2. Improve how the buds 'seed' when placed in case.  Currently, half the time you don't know if you placed them correctly, so you do it again.
  3. The L and R on the buds are difficult to read
  4. Bose should document and make available, which sounds work best in which scenarios. As you stated you made a conscience decision to limit the sounds.  Why not share the use cases that led to bose picking the sounds that they did.  I understand that everyone is different, but there are several common issues that the buds are being used for , and I assume that the sounds were not randomly chosen.
  5. Allow for the playing of a combination of sounds, since they are already on the buds, some situations playing multiple sounds simultaneously is helpful
  6. Develop a sound to mask my annoying upstairs neighbor.
ace_v
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jun 22, 2019

"...and to cater for a battery life that can support playback for the entire night."

I wish this were true, but as plenty of customers on this help forum have noted, the 58% battery bug does not allow the buds to run the entire night.

Hi LeoNeedsToSleep, 

Thanks for posting and providing us with this feedback. 

I will pass this onto the development team for you. If there are any other features that members of the community would like to see implimented please do let us know. 

@ace_v Thank you also for your input regarding this issue. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B