DJ Carey
Participant
Registered since

Mar 4, 2021

Re: Bose Sleepbuds 2 - Loses Power

Having used the first generation Sleepbuds for quite some time, I don’t recall having this issue. I traveled a lot with gen 1 and never had to keep plugging into power to get a handful of nights from the buds out of the puck. Basically you can’t take gen 2 camping because they’d be dead by the time you set up your tent. 😉

While I recognize the battery differences/requirements I’m hard pressed to think there aren’t software/firmware possibilities to either limit the amount of pings per day or possibly setting those pings to check against a sleep clock (i.e. check at 5PM to ensure full charge by bedtime). Providing options like this to the user via the app could provide the flexibility to at least allow people to select the appropriate option based on their preferences.

Regardless, I’m glad engineers are looking into this as I’m sure there are better options for both UX as well as power usage.

NikitaKA
Participant
Registered since

Mar 22, 2021

I bought my Sleepbuds only for one purpose: my neighbors are having parties time to time, once, maybe two times a week. So every time, when they suddenly start to make loud noise (during the night, when I'm already sleeping) - I put on Sleepbuds, which is lying next to my pillow, and trying to sleep. But that "expected behavior" completely negates what they were created for - Sleepbuds are fully discharged when they really needed! I have no chargers right to my bed, no plugs, nothing. I didn't even say anything about travelling. Bose, please, fix that, add on option to disable that discharging feature. Thank you in advance.

Cheekyjeremy
Participant
Registered since

Apr 22, 2021

I actually only use these Bose Sleepbuds II as earplugs. I don’t even play the sounds, and yet in 2-3 days the case and the buds are powerless. This cannot be explained away as normal operations.

Any fixes ?

troubleshooter
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 2, 2017

Fully charged Sleepbuds and case drain after a few days without use

All the battery-related Sleepbud posts I found in this forum have to do with performance during regular use.  This is about battery performance when not in use.

My fully-charged Sleepbuds II and their fully-charged case will be drained dead in under a week with no use.  Why is this?  By contrast, my Bose QC earbuds, which also use the charge-in-case model and are Bluetooth capable can go unused in their case with no significant battery loss for over a month.  (I mention Bluetooth because I suspect the Sleepbud drainage has something to do with background Bluetooth activity on the device).

I use my Sleepbuds for naps, not full-night sleeping.  And not every day.  On several occasions I've gone to use them for the first time in a week only to find them dead and useless.

Has anyone else seen this?  Suggestions on how to preserve Sleepbud battery life when unused?

Thanks.

Device details:

Sleepbuds II with latest firmware

App: 3.0.7 on Android

Captain BrewDog
Participant
Registered since

Jan 14, 2021

Having held off the recent Sleepbuds 2 firmware updates, I updated to 3.0.8 last week and can report a "slight" improvement in Battery Life from 4 days back in Jan 21 to 8 days with the latest 3.0.8 software updates. In both tests the Sleepbuds were left fully charged up in their case with zero use, so obviously something has changed.........I would have been nice to be told by Bose what changes are made.

My guess is that the Bluetooth Pinging time interval has been increased, but it would be better to have a user accessible option to simply turn it off to preserve battery life.

Does anyone know if 3.0.8 made such a change to the BT pinging interval?

Sleepbuds 2 - 3.0.8

iPhone 11 Pro - IOS 14.5.1 

Jayyy
Participant
Registered since

May 28, 2021

I’ve had my sleepbuds 2 for about 7 months now. The case at first kept charge for about 5 days or more sometimes even with recharging the sleepbuds every morning. But now it’s gradually went down to 2-3 days before I have to recharge the case.

I saw where Bose mentioned that it’s a design feature to continuously have the case drain even with the buds fully charged but that’s obviously not good for the battery life. How is that just getting glossed over when the product is significantly diminished in a few months of use and will need replacement within one to two years of purchase at this rate?

There’s also the other issue of sounds looping in an obvious and potentially sleep disturbing way.

Eathon
Participant
Registered since

Jun 15, 2021

I am Eathon from China, I have the same issue.

The case discharge when I do not use it. The case battery is depleted in few days. All five LEDs are out. On the other hand, buds are 100% charged and in battery protection mode.

Through hard arguments with BOSE, I got a replacement from BOSE, the second sleepbuds also has this issue, even worse.

After fully charged, only pass one day, the first LED is out.

Very disappointed with Bose, from a sleepbuds I & II owner.

Eathon
Participant
Registered since

Jun 15, 2021

The Sleepbuds charging case was designed to ensure that your buds are ready for use whenever you need them

So you need to plug in the case every time, ensure the case is not depleted, then the buds are ready for use whenever you need them?

Why I need this charging case? Just give me an AC adapter.

This is a design defect. Please recall it.

Skullman
Participant
Registered since

Mar 7, 2021

Hi there-

This is the second set of Sleepbuds that I've had this issue with and not sure if it's a known design flaw or if I'm just unlucky.  I fully charge my Sleepbuds case and within a week, it's lost 75% of its charge. At first I thought the lid might be opening slightly in my laptop bag draining the charge, but I tested it by just setting it on my bureau for a week.  I exchanged one pair of Sleepbuds already, but the new pair still does the exact same thing.  I'm used to my QC earbuds that hold a charge for months!  I'm a pilot and use my sleepbuds if I'm ever in a hotel room with a lot of noise.  That's exactly the time when I DON'T want to have to wait a couple hour while I recharge the earbuds before I use them.  I leave them in my laptop case and only use them once a month, if that, but I never know when that's going to be.  

Any ideas?  Love the earbuds, just don't want to have to make up a schedule for when I have to pll them out and recharge them (can't think that's good for battery life either)

Thanks!

Cheers,

Greg

Bose product name

Sleepbuds

Country

USA

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)
iPhone Xs, IOS 14.6

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

See above

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

All

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

From the beginning, second set of Sleepbuds with this issue (exchanged first pair)

Any troubleshooting steps you took

Recharge often