Highlighted
deve52
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 8, 2018

Bose Sleepbuds and Impact Noise

Hi,

Can anyone in the community give me a definitive answer to the question:- Do/Can the Sleepbuds mask/block out Impact Noise? This is the type of noise caused by one hard surface coming into contact with another hard surface, like a shoe on a wooden floor- especially during the night.

Many Thanks,

Thomas.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Bose Sleepbuds and Impact Noise

Hi there @deve52 and thanks for taking the time to post.

While there is no definitive yes or no answer to this question without you checking this yourself, I can confirm from experience that this does mask out impact noises similar to those you've described, although this does depend on a number of factors.

One of these factors is the type of sounds you're listening to. There are sounds designed for masking and those for relaxation, and the choice affects people differently. The volume is also a key factor (both the Sleepbud volume and the volume of the impact) - someone sleeping with a light-footed partner is likely to have a better experience.

I would also advise that the fit is a key factory here - the better the fit in your ear, the better the seal that is created, resulting in a higher quality of noise-masking.

If you're unsure of how these will perform, I would advise that you make use of our stores to listen to and trial these, or should you choose to purchase these, to keep an eye on the return period of the store to ensure you're happy with this.

If anyone in the Community has a heavy-footed partner or house-mate and has a first-hand experience of this, please chime in here!

Liam W - Community Support

LeoNeedsToSleep
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

Yeah I have first hand experience I can share. The sleepbuds do not block the impact noises that I am subjected to, which are foot falls from above, and I believe is same as what you are asking about.  Also, I do not agree that a better fit, provides any better noise masking of impact noise.  You need to go deep in the ear canal to have any noticible change in noise masking for this low frequency impact noise.  The sleep buds cant do that. My exerience when I create a better fit/seal is that I start to hear my body sounds like my heart beat, in addition I still hear the footfalls, so the situation is worse for this type of noise.

deve52
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 8, 2018

Hi again,

The noise is actually coming from the neighbour, living in the apartment above me. He has hard wooden floors, which means any walking with hard shoes on, will definitely disturb me.

Thankx.

deve52
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 8, 2018

Hi @LeoNeedsToSleep 

I hear what you're saying!

So, in your opinion, do you think that the sleepbuds are of no use at combatting/masking/blocking impact noise?

I still rely on my foam and wax earplugs to minimize the noise.

Thanx,

Thomas.

@deve52 

LeoNeedsToSleep
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

yes deve52

• The sleep buds are not effective for me, and I have a very mild noise issue.  Do they provide any value, yes, but ultimately it is not the solution I was looking for, else I would not even be on this forum.  Hard to admit, but they don't work.
  • The buds are as effective or ineffective as any of the other solutions that I have tried, but the most costly.
  • The buds are positioned as a sleep aid. The claims made by Bose are completely unsubstantuated.  Where are the test results, the trials, case studies whatever.  There is no evidence to support the claims made. 
  • The buds are the most comfortable solution that I have found for sleeping, I want them to work.  For me I think a combination of 2 or 3 sounds together with heavy base music track would be more effective, but that option is not avalable for me to try
  • If there is a next generation of buds I will try them, but for $250, these are going back.
drjosh
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 26, 2018

I have had these for several months since I travel frequently. I was woken up in hotels a lot by various sounds, from doors slamming to people talking to folks walking hard above me. I haven't been woken up anything since using them. Obviously, your experience may be different as others' have been. Finding the right noise that's soothing helps as well to keep you asleep and help you fall back to sleep quickly if woken. 

macmhaolain71
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 25, 2018

I also can confirm that I live below someone in my condo that has laminate flooring and extremely loud foot fall (sounds like she’s stomping, walks with her heels) and even with sleep buds in on loudest setting, a fan on high and a white noise maker, she still wakes me up constantly. The sleep buds work pretty well with average volume noises. I have lived in 3 different condos and 3 different apartments over 20 years and never had such a loud foot fall before so I am wondering if these sleep buds would mask average impact footsteps? I bought these a year ago, never in twenty years of sharing ceilings and walls with people have I ever endured such heavy footsteps or had to wear ear plugs or anything it’s hell.