Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 14, 2020

Can’t hear when lying on ear

When lying on my side, the audio gets blocked in the ear against the pillow. Should I be able to hear in that ear or is that to be expected?

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2019

Re: Can’t hear when lying on ear

I also had this issue with the original Sleepbuds and it continues with these new ones. For me it is only one ear - and it appears related to my ear canal. When I lie on that side the ear canal closes up from pressure from my pillow. It does not happen when I lie on the other side

See

https://community.bose.com/t5/Wellness-Archive/Sleepbuds-Sound-goes-off-when-on-my-side/m-p/207515#M...

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 14, 2020

That is exactly my issue. I’ll try finding a new pillow. Thanks!

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 4, 2018

I had that issue with the first version which was a dealbreaker and I have it with the new ones as well but not as bad. THIS ISNT AN EAR CANAL ISSUE. The new buds are flatter so it takes more pressure to make the sound go off. But, it still happens which is a huge disappointment because the on/off disrupts my sleep. 
Sadly, when Bose bought out the failed startup Hush, they ditched Hush’s amazing design and created their own which isn’t nearly as good. Maybe patent issues? Hush had other problems but their design was perfect.  All I know is that they were so comfortable and if Bose had used that housing and fixed the battery issue, they would have far fewer complaints and upset customers. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 18, 2017

Glad you’re not having the issue @Lisa P . I responded to your message and saw this post and thought “oh no, someone is still experiencing this”. I’m having no issues and can’t even recreate this issue unless I really push the bud hard in to my ear. Shame it’s happening for some though, but guess we all have different size ears. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2019

This does continue to happen for me in the same ear that it did with the the originals. I actually can't get an over the counter earplug  to work effectively in that ear without multiple tries. I can't fault Bose for that an am really glad to see they did take an action that helped others.

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 19, 2018

My solution with the original Sleep buds for this issue was to do as follows:

1. Lay your head down on the pillow.

2. Allow the eartip to collapse, blocking any sound from getting to your ear.

3. Clinch your jaw muscles.

4. With your jaw muscles clenched, re-sit the ear buds in your ear.

5. Lay your head back down on the pillow.

6. un-clench your jaw.

7. Make adjustments if needed. 

This procedure works for me. I hope it works for you. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2019

Wow I will try this. Thank you!

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 4, 2018

No, that is a design flaw which was also present in the first sleepbuds. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 4, 2018

Doesn’t have any effect whatsoever but interesting idea!