cmadparty
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 3, 2019

Does Bluetooth turn off completely after 10 minutes

Hello. Long time Bose customer here. Just bought these sleep buds and really want to keep them. But like many others I don’t want even low levels of radiation going inside my ear canals for 8 hours a night. I have read other posts but have not found a definite answer on this. I would like to confirm that in phone free mode the Bluetooth transmitters turn off completely and stop sending signals after the advertising period of 10 minutes is over. I would like a very clear answer on this please.

Can tech support chime in? Or has anyone in the community been able to get an answer? Many thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Does Bluetooth turn off completely after 10 minutes

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Hector_B

Hi all, 

Thank you for your interest in this is!

What Liam W has not added in his post is that they emit for 10 minutes. 

This 10 minute period makes sure that the two earbuds are fully synced with the playback before disconnecting. As the Sleepbuds use internal storage of the audio, they have no need to continue to sync using Bluetooth or vice versa. They will stay in sync all night. 

I hope this helps to clarify. 

If you have any further questions, please reach out.

Kindest, 

Jessie O

15 REPLIES 15

Hello @cmadparty , Welcome to the Community!

I'd be more than happy to clear this up and give you a definitive answer.

Even in Phone-Free mode, the Sleepbuds continue to emit a Bluetooth signal --EDITED IN POST-- for 10 minutes, in order to remain wirelessly paired to one another and play in-sync.

With that said, the amount of radiation that the Sleepbuds produce is very small, and is much lower than a Phone would.

If you are still unhappy with this to the point that you are no longer interested in keeping the product, please reach out to the original seller of this to look into getting this product returned.

I hope this clarifies this for you, and please get back i touch if you have any further questions regarding this.

-Liam_W - Community Support

dinov
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 4, 2019

Highlighted
cmadparty
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 3, 2019

Hi Liam. Thanks for the reply. Would it be possible to get an understanding of how often the signal is sent? For example, is it a constant low level stream of data between the two buds or just a single ping every once in a while to sync up?

Given the post below there is some confusion so as much detail as you can provide would be great.

Thank you
cornholio
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 3, 2018

Both of these refer to 'advertising', which I'm assuming is referring to the buds' attempt at connecting to a device.  After 10 minutes, that attempt to connect would stop...but not the bluetooth communication between the 2 buds.

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Hector_B

Hi all, 

Thank you for your interest in this is!

What Liam W has not added in his post is that they emit for 10 minutes. 

This 10 minute period makes sure that the two earbuds are fully synced with the playback before disconnecting. As the Sleepbuds use internal storage of the audio, they have no need to continue to sync using Bluetooth or vice versa. They will stay in sync all night. 

I hope this helps to clarify. 

If you have any further questions, please reach out.

Kindest, 

Jessie O

cmadparty
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 3, 2019

So it appears that after 10 minutes the buds no longer communicate with the phone. This seems to be confirmed by multiple people.

What I would like to just check is whether after 10 minutes they continue to emit a signal at all - between each other. Or whether all transmission completely shuts off.

Could still read these answers multiple ways. Apologies just want to be sure. So does all signal stop after 10 minutes, including any signal between the buds?

Thank you.

Hi Cmadparty, 

Thank you for your question and I apologize if my response wasn't completely clear. 

To confirm, the earbuds do not emit a signal between the two earbuds. They do not do this when connected to your phone. They each individually connect to the phone (which is how it lets you know if one is disconnected). So when the 10 minutes is over there is no signal at all between the buds and the phone as well as between each of them. 

I hope this helps clarify. 

As always, if you have any further questions do not hesitate to reach out, we'd love to help.

Kindest, 

Jessie O

cmadparty
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 3, 2019

Thank you Jessie. So to confirm, you are saying that there is no signal of any kind coming from the buds after 10 minutes when in phone free mode?

This is great news as most people are ok with 10 minutes but not an entire night of transmitting.

That's correct Cmadparty. 

I'm glad I could help. 

If there is anything else do not hesitate to reach out. 

Kindest, 

Jessie O