Gray41
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 13, 2019

Re: Does Bluetooth turn off completely after 10 minutes

Jessie_O,

This unfortunately contradicts what I was told by Marieanne on the Bose support line this morning. After a long discussion between me,  Marieanne and her technical support team (she went back to them 3 times), she confirmed that the Sleepbuds DO continue to broadcast via Bluetooth in phonefree mode when in your ears.

I checked and double checked my understanding and I even said that I would be posting our conversation on the Community site. Marieanne confirmed this was okay and that Bluetooth communication does continue in phonefree mode. I said in that case, Bose has lost a customer and that I'll probably not be the only one. 

If you check what they say about phonefree mode,  it doesn't actually say that it stops transmissions. It leaves questions in your mind and so this answer doesn't surprise me. It's disappointing because I want rf-free buds in my ears so I thought these were the ones but unfortunately I'll need to find another solution. 

cmadparty
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 3, 2019

So this is extremely disappointing and frustrating given I am past the return period and now have a set of expensive earbuds that I’m not comfortable with. Can someone from Bose please comment on this?

Hello @Gray41 and @cmadparty

Thank you both for reaching out. I can confirm that when entering 'Phone Free Mode' the Sleepbuds completely disconnect from the phone and there is no Bluetooth being used. Due to this, you are only able to hear one sound that was pre-selected and will start as soon as the buds are removed from the case and no alarms will work during this time. The phone is able to be switched off and the buds will work. 

I have checked this with the team who have made the sleepbuds and they have confirmed that there is no Bluetooth in 'Phone Free Mode' from the moment the Sleepbuds enter this mode. 

I am sorry for any confusion caused. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

Gray41
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 13, 2019

Hi cmadparty,
I'm amazed that Bose seem to be avoiding answering this question. Do they transmit when in the ears has a simple yes or no answer. It took me 3 attempts to get this answer today.

My concern was triggered by this post - https://community.bose.com/t5/Sleepbuds/totally-turn-off-bluetooth-function/m-p/182641. Bose have ignored that post so far. As the original post says, an rf meter doesn't lie so I'll need something special to convince me that they aren't transmitting.

And if they are transmitting, why are Bose being so careful not to just say it? Is it because they know that some of their customers are sensitive to this issue and are buying the Sleepbuds to avoid all radiation? If Bose say that there is some very low power radiation being transmitted all night long, but it's safe and much less harmful than other sources we experience daily, it could put off these people (like me) and affect sales.
Gray41
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 13, 2019

Thanks Vicky but why has someone posted that an rf meter shows activity? This was in January. As it has the potential to seriously damage sales, posting evidence contrary to this would stop the concerns. Maybe you can ask the person for their data so you can verify if their Sleepbuds are faulty.
Highlighted
cmadparty
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 3, 2019

In fairness they do connect for 10 minutes so it is possible that the RF meter readings were taken during that period and not when they go completely dark? Did the person who took those readings specify if it was within 10 minutes?

My understanding is that they have the ability to connect (and are therefore ‘listening’) for 10 minutes, then go dark. After that we know the phone cannot connect to them anymore. The simple question is - at that point are they emitting any signal at all or are the transmitters completely off?

If we could all just get a straight answer here they would be helpful.