Denziloshamen
Advisor
Registered since

Sep 18, 2017

Engadget Review - Time to pay attention Bose!

Bit late for a product review, but the website Engadget have posted their review of the Sleepbuds today:

https://www.engadget.com/bose-sleepbuds-2-review-expensive-sound-machine-140019371.html

They have pretty much laid out every complaint made on these forums and made their opinion public to millions of potential customers. It’s not a glowing review. Basically, they’re ok but extremely overpriced for the lack of functionality and the short comings of the app. 

Bose seem to have relied on the fact that our opinions on here are hidden away and not all that public, now the main stream gadget sites are finally echoing all of our feedback to millions, will Bose finally take notice and start to actually improve the product as per all of our suggestions or will they continue to fail to meet the potential of the Sleepbuds due to very poor app and software functionality. Let’s hope more gadget websites post similar reviews and put off more people from buying so we get some reaction from Bose. 

11 REPLIES 11
MRIDAN
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 9, 2020

Re: Engadget Review - Time to pay attention Bose!

I disagree with the Engadget review. First off that the sleepbuds are overpriced. I started off with the first gen sleepbuds. The sleepbuds are life changing for light sleepers like me. Any little noise will wake me up. My wife also snores very loudly, Very loudly.!! We would have to sleep in separate bedrooms, which would really bother me. Ear plugs would not cut out the snoring. Ever since the first buds came out my wife and I can sleep together again, and I have never slept better! Warm Static is great at blocking out snoring. The sleepbuds are well worth the $250.00 price tag. I sleep through the entire night and fall asleep quicker, thank you Bose! I’m a side sleeper who also turns throughout the night to sleep on my left or right side. The review said for side sleepers, something about them not being comfortable, and having to be positioned just right in the ear or they would fall out. I have never experienced any discomfort or the buds falling out, never. The only issue I had with the first gen sleepbuds, which would make a squeaking noise when bud would rub on the pillow. This was corrected the the sleepbuds II. These are really comfortable for side sleepers. Earplugs would hurt my ears, they were so uncomfortable. As far as having more sounds and being able to load your own, maybe that can happen with future updates. But I’m fine with what Bose offers now. 

miklosh13
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 3, 2019

I agree 100% with everything you said!!

Sleepbuds are a life changer and well worth the price.

Denziloshamen
Advisor
Registered since

Sep 18, 2017

Sorry both of you, but to say these are worth the £250 for the functionality they offer is hugely questionable. I’m not denying that they are life changing, but for £250 we are completely at the mercy of Bose to support and update these. The app is far from perfect and the sounds very poor (sure, there’s quite a few now, but many are unusable for those sensitive to the loops and random repeating artefacts). The charging case is flakey and does what it wants half the time, charges one earbud half charges one and fully charges another or displays the 1,3,5 light error because you had the audacity to put the Sleepbuds back in the case to charge. The Sleepbuds are good, but they are far from perfect. If I’m paying £250 for something then I expect it to have been properly tested and released as a full product with a decent feature update schedule. Bose are so far away from understanding what their customers want and even slower updating their apps and features it’s concerning to have paid this much for something that could be perfect but likely won’t ever be. To disagree with the Engadget review is to lack a complete understanding of every post on this community that echos exactly what the Engadget review states. I made a point of posting this review as it does some up nicely all of the complaints we’ve had about Sleepbuds 2 from day one and not been listened to by Bose. My hope is that being publicly downvoted in review by prominent gadget websites for millions to see might actually wake Bose up to actually start listening to the improvements we have been asking for for 5 months. 

miklosh13
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 3, 2019

Whether they are worth the price or not is an opinion and everyone has a different opinion. I am not the only one who thinks they are well worth the price. I would buy they again in a heartbeat if I needed to, and I am not wealthy.

Bose is supporting and updating SBII. There have been both firmware and app updates since they were released late last year, several app updates. I own other Bose products and I personally have found Bose support to be exceptional. There is also a 1 yr warrenty with SBII and they will replace if there are any problems.

Nothing is perfect and you tend to only hear when people do have a problem.

Yes, I do disagree with the Engadget review, but that is just my opinion.

Denziloshamen
Advisor
Registered since

Sep 18, 2017

There has been one app functionality update and one, maybe two, firmware updates. None of those have addressed the countless issues that have been raised with the Sleepbuds. The recent app update added a UI change that removed useful features and added features nobody wanted or asked for. There have been so many simple requests made on here that could have been addressed ahead of what Bose chose to change instead (no longer being able to start your regular sound from the connection screen and instead having to navigate to the sounds screen via a new icon, that many people couldn’t work out, to then have a bright screen image displayed just before you got to bed is not the smartest thing to have added by the company who say they “understand sleep”). Your opinion does matter of course, and I’m certainly relieved that you have had zero issues and are happy with every sounds, the charging and connection, the price and the support. The fact that there are many more people who actually have sleep and auditory issues that affect their ability to go to sleep, and Bose is doing nothing to address or communicate with us, with the exception of standard cut and paste responses, is a concern that they do not actually want to develop the Sleepbuds for the very community that has bought them and provided them constructive feedback and suggestions. The fact the Engadget review almost exactly reflects and identifies the issues raised on this community and not your opinion of them (again, not saying yours is wrong, it’s your own experience) proves that the Sleepbuds are lacking in the exact areas we have identified. The review isn’t terrible, they score pretty well, as they do with me, but you have to respect the fact that they are not quite hitting the mark in key areas that would make them perfect. There are probably three or four key issues that Bose should be addressing that regularly get raised here, they are all software issues, obviously as we can’t exactly have new hardware now we’ve bought them and they have pretty much nailed the hardware this time around (no idea what the Engadget reviewers were doing in their sleep to have the buds fall out though, for me these things sit how they’re supposed to and never budge all night. They’re even slightly tricky to remove in the morning they sit so snugly in my ears). 

If Bose would only address and communicate with their customers, even work with us on the Sleepbuds because sleep is an important science and their testing panel clearly doesn’t have the sleep or sensitivity issues real world users do.  We’ve given them every opportunity to do so and to address the very issues raised in the Engadget review for the five months prior to the review being posted, but we have got nothing from Bose themselves apart from reset the charging case, delete and reinstall the app and “we’ll be sure to pass that on”. It’s disrespectful to the customers who are taking the time to effectively test these Sleepbuds with their own money and provide feedback. I’ve Beta tested electronics for many years, I have seen first hand when developers take feedback and implement firmware changes in a matter of days. I know it can be done by smaller companies with less resource than Bose, but Bose have never been very good and listening to and implementing updates. The one year warranty is irrelevant to these issues. You can’t return them anyway after 90 days if you buy from Bose. The warranty is if they break in the first year not if Bose don’t fix issues with the software and firmware, which we will forever be at the mercy of Bose to do their own thing with and not listen to the community. The point of my post was exactly that Bose might want to start paying attention to the issues we’ve raised for the best part of six months, all of which were highlighted in the Engadget review. 

jimh12345
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 18, 2017

According to that reviewer, "50 sounds in total, which is pretty decent and they’re all perfectly seamless, too. Yes, you can tell they’re relatively short audio loops, but you’d be hard-pressed to identify the loop points."

Ha.   Ha ha ha.  Seems like there are about 100 posts here to the contrary.   He should have called me, I'd have helped him find those loop points in no time. 

Denziloshamen
Advisor
Registered since

Sep 18, 2017

Just as with Bose’s testing process for the Sleepbuds, it seems that reviewers are also not really being used by anyone without actual sleep issues. Masking a sound seems to be the only testing done for these. No one with actual noise anxiety (Misophonia) can have been involved in any testing as almost none of the sounds would have been approved for use. I keep saying it on here, but I really wish Bose would take the time to take those of us willing to join an actual testing panel and work closely with us to help make these as close to perfect as the Sleepbuds can get. 

Jessie_O

Hi everyone,

Thank you for keeping this thread active, and sharing your thoughts on the review.

They mention our variety of sounds as well as the streaming of your own music. We plan to add more sounds to the application with further updates. Regarding streaming your own music, this is not something that can be facilitated at this time due to the ‘Phone Free’ mode and the fact that the sounds are stored locally on the earbuds.

We are so very glad to hear of those of you that have had positive experiences with these buds and that you have been able to achieve peace and quiet, when you need it most.

All of the comments, complaints, and feedback that we receive from all our products are very important to us. We pride ourselves on putting our customers first, providing innovative products, and a passion for excellence. Please be assured that all feedback is shared with our product teams, both positive and negative. As a reminder, if you have an issue with any product, we invite you to start a dedicated discussion thread on the specific subject on the Community forums with additional details so that we can appropriately support you with it. 

Thank you once again for your voice and please continue to provide us with feedback. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
KernelAgainstTheWall
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 1, 2019

I think that review is a bit off-base. I just received my Sleepbuds II as warranty replacement for my old Sleepbuds I. The new version is far superior to the old. To address the review point by point:

-Comfort: "for short periods of time in a controlled environment, the Sleepbuds 2 are extremely comfortable. But, in actual use it’s a bit of a mixed bag." Actually, I found the Sleepbuds to be somewhat uncomfortable initially, but after several nights of use I got used to them. You have to stick with it and eventually you'll find that you barely even notice they're there. The new version feels just like the old version (if anything, the seem to have a firmer fit in my ears, but that could just be me), and has the added benefit of the coating that prevents noise when your pillow rubs against them.

-Sound selection: They grudgingly admit that it's pretty cool to have 50 sounds to choose from. The question is whether you can find just one of those 50 that accomplishes what you need it to accomplish. What I need is a sound that masks snoring. The new sounds with version II include several with pronounced low frequency components that are very effective at that. The one I use works supremely well. And these last few nights, I have slept like a baby.

-App design is counterintuitive - I just disagree. It works very well for me. I have no problem at all accomplishing whatever I need to accomplish with it.

-Very expensive - I don't think the reviewer has *ANY IDEA* how much a light sleeper would pay for consistent, reliable good nights' sleep. I've spent all sorts of money on devices that supposedly help you to sleep through your partner's snoring. All of them were a complete waste of money. This is the only one that has worked, and it works extremely well. I think $250 is a completely fair price for what is, in fact, a remarkable piece of technology. I also think Bose did right by its customers by replacing, under warranty, the problematic version I with the new version, which is so much better.

-Overall review: "good but not great" - I think the real takeaway here is that this is a niche product directed at people who can really benefit from the best noise masking money can buy. If you have little need for that, then of course you aren't going to think this product is "great." For me, it does exactly what I want it to do. Assuming it doesn't develop technical glitches (I've only had them for a couple of weeks), I say this product really is great.